colored cfl's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I think there the same as a regular cfl but just give off diffrent colour, It would be cool tho to have your grow a green or red colour.
Dro:cool2:

Green would not help at all.
If you ever want to look at your plants when its light off period, your supposed to use a green light, because it doesnt effect the plant.
i had a green light installed in my last grow.

Yeah i know about the green, i havea green led in there for when the wifey wants to get something outta the closet, lol. i was more interested in the blue and red bulbs, i wonder if they emit more of the color you want like the leds do. I think for my next indoor i am gonna buy a few and try them out. I am actually gonna add a couple more lights to my room on monday anyway so if i can find them locally i will pick up two of each oc the blue and reds and give it a go.

mastersativa said:
Yeah i know about the green, i havea green led in there for when the wifey wants to get something outta the closet, lol. i was more interested in the blue and red bulbs, i wonder if they emit more of the color you want like the leds do. I think for my next indoor i am gonna buy a few and try them out. I am actually gonna add a couple more lights to my room on monday anyway so if i can find them locally i will pick up two of each oc the blue and reds and give it a go.

Yes they do emmit the highest ammount of usable wavelength color.
I just read alot about LED's earlyer.
LEDS are making huge strides latly in the way of Intensity and spectrum. Boasting the higest Lumen-to-watt ratio of any other bulb.
The higest ammount of usable wavelengh occur at the Red(675 nm) and the Blue(425) ends of the spectrum. Yet these two frequencies occur the least in MH and HPS bulbs currently on the market.
Not to mention that the newer Led Models, such as the LED UFO, promise as much lumen output as regular 400-watt MH/HPS lamps, but will only use 90 actual Watts....thats impressive.

It sure is impressive, but from what i have seen here the leds are seeming to be most beneficial for veg growth and not very good at all for flower. I will hafta wait and see these grows finish with leds before i can really comment on them though, i have just noticed that trend with other grows. Maybe a few cfl's in there with all red leds may be the trick? i dunno yet, more studyin needed, lol.

Ive had the same question. I have a couple red, but no blue should i pick up a few blue. during veg do i need more blue or more red?

Whoa there bro, slow down, lol, j/k. Seriously I am not sure with these lights yet as i have just found them. I asked about them before but noone seemed to know if they even existed. But the general rule is blue for veg and red for flower. But i am not sure if these with work well or not just being colored bulbs, and not the color TEMP as with an hps or mh. That site doesn't tell the lumens output or the color temp of them, so that kinda sux, i need to find some more info on them and if the reds are in the 2700k spectrum and the blues are around the 6500k spectrum, I don't see why the color ON the bulbs wouldn't be beneficial.

the color would b beneficial,
and ya for Veg you want blue, Flower you want red.
and yes, i think if you put in a few cfls, it will be better.
and i also beg to differ, that it does flower by using leds. i saw a picture of plants being flowered under a Ufo, they all looked good, and the UFO was really high above the plants for some reason.
as far as the Lumen output, it says it is equal to that of an 400w HPS, and it has more of the color spectrum...soooo?

in the pic i saw, the grower was using the UFO to provide high red and low blue spectrums, his tests prooved that he had higher yeilds with these wavelengths

Yeah i know you CAN flower with the leds, what i was saying that the ones i have seen have not yielded huge amounts or were switched over to hps or cfl or a combination of led and hps or cfl. I wasnt trying to imply that it WOULDN"T bud, just that from the grows i have seen it was a slow growin in the flower cycle with led's. I am certainly not trying to knock the led's by anymeans, I was just sayin what i saw, I haven't used any leds so i wouldn't know firsthand.

ya i kno, i didnt think you were trying to Knock it, i was just saying that you could use them....i kinda worded it wrong.

yea it would be cool to have your lights colored but those wont help. all they do is give a reflection of color because the bulb is painted.

The green one's would be good for working in your grow area during the "night"...

Yeah i thought that as well yungmune, but if you can get the red ones in 2700k and the blue ones in 6500k, shouldn't the little bit of useable reflective color help? I dunno, but if i can find em locally i will try them out and find out for sure.

we were mainly speaking of LED Lights, not so much colered cfl's
or atleast i was

O.K. but i was aking about the colored cfl's, i guess i will hafta do my own research and experiments to see how well they will work.

as with putting a color filter or lens on anything, it actually takes away from you than it does give you. any light that goes through glass, plastic, filters, artifical colors, etc will detract from what light is really being given off. So be careful with these lights.

Yes, you can flower with LED's however, in my last thread on my experiment, there are VERY ranging differences between lights, and there are some precautions (new ones) to watch out for. I have also placed an image from my camera that I took which shows the color patterns and how much penetration there is between the canopy of the plant. There isn't much at all, and this is where the trick of the LED vs. HPS comes in.

Roughly a 400w HPS puts off about 55,000 lumens, of course you can't get close to the plant with that due to heat, and the LED's might put off an equivalent lumens per watt ratio, however, the penetration is still just a matter of inches with the bulb right up against the plant (touching). So there still is work to be done. And in Alienbaits LED thread, he posted a spectral analysis chart for HPS, and LED and the proper spectral graph for flowering plants. HPS is within range but lacks in the aqua color range, where you'd have to tweak your LED color patterns all across the board... but I discovered that CFL 2700k have ALL the proper colors without having to tweak regardless.

graphs located here:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18126&page=4

So to get back on point, a standard 2700k bulb without any filters, paints, colorings, is still your best bet.

I just built a flower setup for under $50 kinda similar to yours... well.. not really, but my supplemental lighting will be very close, using the same setup for under canopy growth
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20024

Latest posts

Back