Combination HPS & MH Bulbs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonJones

Reaction score
Does anyone know any thing about combination HPS/MH bulbs that have both a HPS and a MH element in the same bulb?

Do both elements light at the same time or does just the element that matches the ballast you are using light at any particular time?

Would these combination bulbs give me the ability to switch between HPS and MH simply by switching the ballast, or if the ballast has a mode switch, just switching mode on the ballast, without having to change bulbs?

Thank you.

Don Jones

I am not an expert but I have a ballast that can accept both style lites. I bought this as a kit at htgsupply.com which has everything you might need. I believe the ballast has an internal "switch" that allows you to switch the bulbs as you desire. 1 of the bulbs would be considered switchable...:D for your grow

ms4ms,

I know what kind of ballast you are referring to and some of the electronics ballast are "autosensing" -- they sense what kind of bulb you put inb and AUTOmatically switch the balast to the correct setting -- and some of them you have to manually switch to the correct type.

What I'm speaking about is a bulb that supposedly has the auto sensing/switching built into the bulb itself. That woould enable those of us who are still using magnetc (old style ocmmercial) ballasts to use the bulb with either a MH or HPS ballast. Does any one know any thing aobut that?

I'm beginning to think I'm hearing people who aren't knowledgeable on the subject talk about the Argrosun sodium halide bulb that supposedly puts out the same high rec/orange/yellow spectrum and a HPS but in a MH bulb that also has the traditional MH spedctrum. As near as I can tell, these bulbs can only be used with a MH ballast but the package doesn't address that issue. It just says it is a MH bulb with the additional HPS spectrum added to it for a more balanced full spectrum light. However, that seem slike it is a compromise that lessens the effecivenss of the MH for vegging without increasing the effectivenss for budding to the HPS level because because then there is too much blue. However, if one was stuck with having to use one bulb all the way through the life of the plant, this sodium halide would probably give better results than using just a MH bulb. However, at least here in Spokane, WA, you can buy the MH bulbs commercially (hopefully it already came with the fixture) and then buy a "conversion" bulb that is a special HPS bulb that will work with a MH vballast cheaper than buying the one sodium halide Agrosun. Thbat is my intent -- continue to use the MH for vegging, then change to the HPS "conversion" bulb for budding until I can obtain either HPS ballasts, or T5s with the 2400k reddish tubes for budding

I know that is the situation that my friends that use T5s are in. If they alternate the cool light tubes with the 2400K redish tubes, they don't get as good of results as if they use the standard cool whites for vegging and then change over to the reddish 2400k tubes for budding.

I would still like ot know if any one knows anythign about these so called combination bulbs, rather than switchable ballasts, that can be used with either a MH or HPS non-switchable ballast.

thnak you.

Don Jones

Both elements light at the same time:aok:

I think it is called Hortilux blue?(has both elements)....1000 watt bulb can be run off a magnetic ballasts

I use a Solar Max Dual Arc 1K bulb with a Quantum dimmable digital ballast. Dual arc bulbs don't give you a choice of either mh or hps, it's more about giving your plants a wider light spectrum for growth. I use the dual arc for about a week to 10 days of vegging and the transition to flower and I switch to mh Hortilux 1K hps at around 3 weeks.

If you would like straight mh lighting the conversion bulbs do work fine. There is a bit of a drop off in lumens compared to a regular mh bulb with an mh or switchable ballast but they still work well.

Happy Growing!:cool:

pc is spot on... both portions of the bulb lights up like this:

I have a 1000w HPS ballast that I got a good deal on - this is my first grow room setup and I'm concerned about cost but also want success .... I notice the conversion bulbs (HPS to MH) are around $120-$200 but these combination bulbs are 1/3 - 1/5 the cost.....
Am I going to give up a significant amount of end product if I compromise with the combination bulb for the veg state?

I was informed by a guy at my local grow shop that the dual arc bulbs have a high rate of defects, and are often returned. I've had good luck in the past with the MH to HPS conversion bulbs. But, If I were going to make a choice on one type of light, it would definately have to be an HPS.

Hortilux EYE is one version of the MH/HPS bulb. It works well in magnetic ballasts, I am not sure about digital ballasts.

Many have started using CMH (Ceramic Metal Halides) as these produce more broad spectrum and more natural light. These CANNOT be used in digital ballasts. Phillips makes a Master Color Retro White. I have seen yields increased a bit with these lights and it would seem to make sense, if you compare the Spectral Power Distribution of CMH or dual element bulbs to standard HPS, they give off much more light and in more ranges. It's only logical to assume higher yields when using these.

I am still HPS as I have about 4 more bulbs to use, after that I am making the switch for flowerin.

Oh yeah, HPS is ~$20 USD per bulb. Dual element and CMH are ~$90 US/bulb.

Do you have a link or a web site where you can get these dual element bulbs for $90 KimJong? Most prices I have seen are much higher in costs than that. I would like to get a bunch if I can get them for that. Thanks

Never Mind KimJong I found them:aok:

HippieChick

Try a google search for 'Hortilux+EYE' or other similar product. but search in the 'Shopping' heading. Sort your results by Free Shipping and Price-Lowest to Highest. They are a few starting around $75-80.

OldHippieChick checkout this link for the dual element bulbs

hXXp://store.bulbstock.com/22840.html

change the XX to tt

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270397200520&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

this is one I found ...... opinions?
I notice the price is lower than the Hortilux Eye mentioned...

OHC, be careful with buying 'no name' bulbs. Even though that link advertises them as 'new' they could be inferior quality. I had a friend that bought a gross of cheap bulbs, within two months they started going out. a few of them actually had the elements break and showered a part of his crop with glass and god knows what (HG, Na, etc)

When Phillips, Hortilux, etc makes bulbs they take great care to ensure that if one of the elements breaks, it does not shatter the outer bulb.

I would try to stick with name brands whenever possible.

Latest posts

Back