Compost bin or worm farm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKlonedRanger

Reaction score
I'm prepping for a BBQ and as I was cleaning the corn, realized I throw a lot of stuff out I could be using to help save money and recycle some of this fox farm soil.

So, I've got the peelings from 2 yams and corn husks from half a dozen ears of corn. Should I start a worm farm, or a compost bin?

Also, what other things do y'all throw in there. I'm pretty blind on doing this. I've read some older posts, but would like to get a little current convo going on.
Thanks!

Both... :D There are so many positive benefits from adding worms / worm casings, it's hard to find any reasons not to run a worm tub.

My worm tubs get Coco coir, Egg cartons, Alfalfa meal, and other fresh organics as well. I just use plain old totes from Walmart, they're like $6 bucks each.

Compost is awesome too!! I compost everything from table scraps to yard cuttings and news paper, coffee grounds, egg shell... Anything that will break down, and contribute to a healthy soil. I don't have any fancy compost tubs though, I just make a big old pile and turn it over with the tractor bucket.

I actually throw a handful or two of worms into my planters too...Usually once harvest is over and start reclaiming soil etc, I will on average gain 30-35% on the worms from the planters. They are really good for keeping soil loose and aerated, plus with all the organics in the soil... They will continue to supply fresh casings inside the planters.

Happy growing all!! Cali:fly:

You can throw almost anything you want in a compost pile, with the exception of meat and dairy products.

Since your growing organically I would say you need both. Even tho you are putting the same vegetable materials into them they come out 2 very different things.

i love compost. I have no room for the worms under my sink where I would keep them. But i love my compost. Coffee grounds, egg shells, napkins, fruit peels, rotten things in the bottom of refrigerator if not meat, more like broccoli and carrots. All veg peels. I don't compost green potato peels. I don't do newspaper, but I am kinda picky.
I love the rich black earth this all makes. I put it in the wheel barrow and spread it all over the gardens. It makes me very happy.

Cubby is right, i just had to go on and on about compost.

I was looking into starting a wormery today a) for worm castings for the plants and b) for something to amuse my boyfriend's kids hehe. I know nothing about them but I think its about time I learnt :D

Will have to borrow the boyfriends garden to do a compost pile though lol... but yes if you can do both then do :)

i tryed worms... i threw a buncha crap in there and when i opend it a few weeks later... there was a buncha bugs and crap and all my worms were dead. sucks.. ima give it another try tho i guess.

The best thing about the worm farm is that when they've multiplied to the point that you need to "weed" them out (no pun intended) you can always sell them to a bait shop or something and make a little extra cash. Also, if you have extra, little old ladies love to buy the castings & the tea for their houseplants.

Here's a link to an easy way to do it.

hXXp://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/easywormbin.htm

Good luck!

Both....
got a few worm bins and 3 stage compost heaps. If you got the acreage dig some holes. LOL
My worm bins are 4 2x8 trays stacked...next to the chicken coupe...escapes meet execution via chicken and overlow worms give em something to hen peck each other for.

heaps are 10 cu. yds. a peice. If it's worm freindly trash goes into the bins, if it's chicken pen bedding and horse/cow plop into the stage compost heaps. Chicken no matter what it composts hot.

I have to stage em...fresh which needs turning a lot. not so fresh still not ready to use and cooking, then my ready to plant and go.

I even go as far as to inoculate the compost heaps in the final stage to get the microbe's a jammin.

don't forget to turn compost every now and then...seen one farmer's up the road catch on fire. yep...burnin dirt man. spontaneous combustion ain't nothing to fool around with. Old oil rags do the same thing. Forest fires have started because of a neglected compost heap.

I have to use a skid steer to turn my compost tho LOL...take me a week with a shovel.

If you need to go really small like under the sink try googling "Bukashi composting"
I haven't delved into that yet, but one guy showed me it can remove the need for any fert. Mack Daddy super compost tea. I got enough fires going haven't had time to mess with this yet.

Melvan2 said:
The best thing about the worm farm is that when they've multiplied to the point that you need to "weed" them out (no pun intended) you can always sell them to a bait shop or something and make a little extra cash. Also, if you have extra, little old ladies love to buy the castings & the tea for their houseplants.

Here's a link to an easy way to do it.

hXXp://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/easywormbin.htm

Good luck!

This is a good idea but how about small starter wormerties, and give them as gifts to people. It's a gift they can use forever, and they'll never forget who gave them that gift.;)

multifarious said:
How about Bokashi inoculated with home made lactobacillus and then fed to yer worm :hubba: :D farm....
:yeahthat:

That's just what I do. +rep.

Wet

dang missed that post my bad...bokashi was already mentioned :doh:

Great info all around here. I'll be setting up both in the next couple days. Thank you all very much!

Latest posts

Back