Conditioning hydroton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey Mcpotster

my bone marrow is resin
Reaction score
I rinsed and dried a lg bag of hydroton. I added distilled water at a ph of 5.4, when I checked it an hour later it was at 7.1. The next morning it was at 9.2.
Is this normal? should I ph down the mix while it soaks? Does it matter?
Anyone have a answer for this one?

Rinsing typically doesn't do it. I'll soak the stuff for 24 hours, then drain and check it out after that or a few hours later. Best of luck...

i wash my hydroton in the tub running hot water over it for about 5 minutes. then i run cold water over it until all red powder is gone. works for me.

thanks guys. You never check the ph while its soaking for 24 hrs before using it?

I use hydroton in an ebb and flow system. What I do is fill the system with it and then fill the reservoir with plain water.

I run the pump 24/7 for one day, then pump it into the tub to get rid of it.

I then refill the reservoir and do this again.

If the Ph is still running wild after that, I do it again until the ph stabilizes.

Hydroton is full of tiny little holes that are in turn, full of the dust from manufacturing it.

Rinsing it gets that residue out of those holes and washes it away.

Between crops, I boil my hydroton to rid it of roots, salts and anything else that may have contaminated it. I use a big metal tub in the yard, set on cinder-blocks with a wood fire beneath it.

My Ph stays stable as can be.

Hi Smokey,

I used to 'condition' my hydroton when I grew in hydro years ago. I'd fill up a bucket or plastic tub with water and pebbles and I'd adjust the ph until it was around 6... I'd grab hydroton from that container as I transplanted and never had any bad ph issues. I wouldn't get to hung up on the ph of your pebbles... Are your plants having problems?

Peace!:cool:

Thanks stoney. I did wash this stuff 3-4 times. Now I still see some cloudy water while they soak. I think the stuff moving around after rinsing just makes it dirty again. I think i will just use a strainer and put it straight in the bucket.

DOS. Yeah I do have problems. I put 8 seedlings sprouted in rockwool into mini hempy buckets. 16oz solo cups, like some of the others have on here. They have been growing slow, wilting. Then they get spurts of growth, but never seem to take off. I checked the ph of the runoff. It was at 7.8. I have been overrun with work, havent had time to take care of new hydroton til today. I have lost 2 plants that looked weak from the start. The others don't look so good. I'm hoping to get some stable hydroton to transplant a.s.a.p. Thanks for your help.

HI,

Sorry about the sickly girls Smokey... I sure hope you're able to turn things around soon...

Good Luck!:cool:

Ph down every couple of days does the trick also. Remember a slightly fluctuating ph is good because nutes are picked up at different rates at differing phs. It will eventually stabilize after a couple of weeks.

fishcabo, I like your name. My son and I caught some 220lb + yellowfin tuna off cabo a few years ago. The ph from the runoff was 7.3- 7.5. I thought it would come down, It just stayed there. Noob mistake, did'nt condition the hydroton. I hope it will stay closer to 6.0 now.

aplasia. I was finally able to get the hydroton conditioned at 5.7. I transplanted 2 yesterday and will do a couple more today. I hope to have my camera working. I was without a computer for 2 weeks. I'll get some pics up. I am only using distilled water for now. I'm not sure what else it would be. I'll see if the ones I transplanted perk up here and start growing faster. The roots on the transplants were a foot long, very white and looked healthy. I was using 8 26 watt,1600 lumen, 5600 kelvin bulbs. I fired up the 600w hps last night to give em some stronger light. temp is at 75, Rh 50%.

as always thanks for the help ppl.

Latest posts

Back