confused?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plant yield is directly proportionate to root mass.

a multi top plant will yield a similar amount, as a single cola, in the same conditions. (some strains may differ slightly)

but.
if you have a small amount of plants for a large space, toping and creating a fatter bushy plant with extra veg. time may help utilise lighting. and increase yield.

I believe you get more yeild if you trim the plant down to 4 to 6 branches and let the plant concentrate all its energy on those instead of many branches.
Just an opinion...:)

Nope you don't get a better yield, you get the same as if you didn't chop, but let me paint a picture here to help. Lets say if you dont chop you get a 4 foot plant with a mian cola and if you do chop, you get a 2 foot plant with 3 main colas. Now all the two foot plant has done is distribute those two extra feet of verticle feet it COULD have had between 3 main colas instead of 1. Chop the two plants and they'll weigh the same. Like Canso said, plant yield is directly proportional to the root mass.

:yeahthat:

i top and lst so i can keep em all pretty even and low in a small flowering space :peace:

Me Too, High Five :clap: (closest high five smiley I could find...)

Ok Blanco to each his own...:) With the "chopping" we see 8-12 oz per plant so thats good enough...

IMO
Topping and LST are just good to spread it out to optimize your area. Make it all bang as buds instead of one ginormous topper and a bunch of popcorn.
I do not believe it actually raises your yield. I would think yield would be mostly effected by your veg time and your root mass.....
Just shooting in the dark there...

in my opinion ,when growing with only overhead lighting and no side lighting you should increase yeild somewhat by pinching them back..on a tall plant the lower branches are deprived of light so they produce very little,,if you pinch them back everything grows more evenly,so even the lower branches produce substantial colas(by utilizing your light source)..i believe outdoors or in a grow room with lots of space between plants and much more than adequate lighting the results would be equal..but i think under normal indoor circumstances it could be beneficial..i agree you may not gain by having more top colas ,but what about lower branch production?these are just my opinions dont want to ruffle anyones feathers..

tinydn said:
in my opinion ,when growing with only overhead lighting and no side lighting you should increase yeild somewhat by pinching them back..on a tall plant the lower branches are deprived of light so they produce very little,,if you pinch them back everything grows more evenly,so even the lower branches produce substantial colas(by utilizing your light source)..i believe outdoors or in a grow room with lots of space between plants and much more than adequate lighting the results would be equal..but i think under normal indoor circumstances it could be beneficial..i agree you may not gain by having more top colas ,but what about lower branch production?these are just my opinions dont want to ruffle anyones feathers..

perfect... IMO/E it 'can' slightly increase overall yeild, due to the reasons you state. (more efficient utilization of the limited light). But lst usually allows for or requires a little longer vegging period also. Whish as dirtysouth' said, effects/increases yield too.

I believe yield is proportionate to the amount and intensity of light you have. I have not really seen a diference in yield on a plant the same size either way. However size of the plant will effect yield dramatically. Basically, I am saying that I have got the same yield from 12-14 plants on my table as 24 using the same lights.

i am harvesting at the moment, so my next grow i will try 3 pinched and 3 not(i cloned 6 off the same plant)..i am very curious to see how much longer it takes from start to finish on the pinched plant..this grow was 13 weeks start to finish with pinching,,i started flowering at 6 weeks 2 days(from germination)..plants finished at just over 5 feet tall and between 42 and 38 inches wide..curious to see what dry weight will be..if the next grow produces equal yields either way i will stop pinching,because it must set the plant back when you pinch it?if i can finish quicker with the same yield its a no brainer..

Latest posts

Back