conversion ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pc,

Nicely explained. Even I understand it now. I think other things can effect the electrical conductivity, EC, besides just dissolved solids, correct?

Anyway, the part I don't understand is how can we determine what conversion the nutrient manufacturer is using when they list PPMs for their nutrients rather than EC? How are we supposed to make sense of PPM suggestions from the manufacturer and here on the forum if people don't list what conversion factor they are using?

Could that be why my solution, mixed exactly -- well at least to the tenth of a milliliter /5 gallons -- of what the manufacturer recommends is reading 200 to 300 PPMs higher than what the manufacturer says it should be for that formula even after I subtract the beginning 160 PPM hardness of the raw water?

Thanks for clarifying things.

Great smoking.

How are we supposed to make sense of PPM suggestions from the manufacturer and here on the forum

Well I think you answered you own question. They are only suggestions.

I e-mailed the manufacturer of my brand of meter to find out the conversion number. Hanna is a .5 conversion;)

ROFL this is a crazy post....

EC is a standard number, its the electrical conductivity there isnt a difference in one EC meter to another they read the same...

A PPM reading from any meter is really a EC reading and the meter is using a math problem to convert the EC reading to PPM.. The conversion number that is multiplied by the EC reading can be any number... .5 and .7 are the most common....

DonJones said:
pc,
How are we supposed to make sense of PPM suggestions from the manufacturer and here on the forum if people don't list what conversion factor they are using?

You dont, thats why Im always telling people on this forum that their meter may not read the same as mine... Its the strange American thing, like the metric system and the SAE system that Americans use.. If we all used EC we would have the same readings, that is why I have learned to read in EC, its the same everytime.. I have a super high dollar Hanna meter that I can choose any conversion number between .5 and 1.0... I dont use it LOL I use EC

Just wanted to add that pure water is a insulator and does not conduct electricity, the minerals in water conduct.. This is the entire basis of an EC reading...

crazy post your right there last night i couldnt get my head round it now i think i can the ec meter do not have a conversion but a ppm meter does
i will just use the ec meter and forget about the ppm all my ? was if any 1 had this meter and new how to find the ppm manually obviously it would be alot easier if i just went of the ec thanks alot guys after this post i bet you all got head aches:)

MindzEye said:
Just wanted to add that pure water is a insulator and does not conduct electricity, the minerals in water conduct.. This is the entire basis of an EC reading...

GRADE 10 science .... oh shhhhht what this isnt science glass lol....
:holysheep:
LH

Latest posts

Back