Cooling my hood (Help)...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeyou

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a Growzilla dual bulb hood w/ a single 1000w HPS and a 600w MH conversion bulb under the hood.

I need some help cooling this hood.. It does have the 4" flanges and I am a little unsure about the type of fan to use...

I know this is going to be a huge problem with heat.. My grow area is only 5'x5'x6'

I am hoping a 747cfm in line will be enough to cool this ***** off.... I need to get this hood cool as possible as I only have 6ft in height...

I did a test run with the lights on to see what the ambient temp. would be and it was well over the 92f range..

I am starting to wonder if I should just scale back or if the fan will help any

Yeah,
I would say you got some light going for sure. But that is a bit much for that small of a space IMHO.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

4 inch sounds awful small for a 1k HPS. i have a 1k HPS with 8 inch ducts. i went and got an inline duct fan from home depot for about 30 bucks and it moves a lot of air. is there a way to increase that 4inch to allow more air to be exhausted? otherwise a new larger hood may be in order

A fan will make a big difference. I have a squirrl cage fan hooked up to my light and it makes a difference of 20 degrees in my grow when using 1000watt mh. If I take the glass off the reflector it runs about 10 degrees hotter. I have have a hose hooked up to one end and the other open. That cools my light and removes stale air. I can smoke a joint in there and watch the smoke get sucked right out.

blunt said:
4 inch sounds awful small for a 1k HPS. i have a 1k HPS with 8 inch ducts. i went and got an inline duct fan from home depot for about 30 bucks and it moves a lot of air. is there a way to increase that 4inch to allow more air to be exhausted? otherwise a new larger hood may be in order

Well its the Hydrofarm Growzilla..

the flanges are awfually small for a dual bulb hood.... I mean.. I was thinking of taking it to a machine shop to have the flanges cut much wider.

Its not 1k its actually 1600w - I have a 1k HPS AND a 600w MH under the same hood...

I guess I can get a 6inch inline and put a 4in. reducer on it.

Im also wondering if the heat from the 1k under the hood is going to blow out the 600w MH

I use a 6inch vortex inline fan for mine,. gets the heat out quick and keeps em cool.

I think that a 767cfm should work. 4 in is very small but 767 is very fast. Try it and see

I think 700cfm is little overkill to say the least. The reducer is a good idea because one day you will want to run a 6" circuit. At least using this will save you money in the long run. No doubt you need a good inline fan the two names I would recomend are Can-Fan and Vortex. I honestly can not see 700cfm being any more benefit then say 400cfm in this case. I would assume that to be the case as well with the 6" circuit.

Where I live its cold and people having heat issues in the winter are in for some real trouble in the spring and summer. Of course you could be in shorts and I would envy you :)

Make sure you do not shop by CFM rating only. http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=48436 This one here is VERY popular and available at all Home Depot and Lowes and rated around 500. I have accidentlly stop the blade before with my finger with little to no pain. Try that with a Vortex or Can-Fan and you wont be so lucky.

Good luck non the less.

Mr. Bubbles

Are you just gonna use fan for cooling hood? Or are you gonna also use it to exhaust your growroom. If it is for hood only, a 4 in vortex will be plenty, its only a couple cubic feet. But if your gonna use it with carbon filter and exhaust whole growroom the a 6" vortex will work, i think they are 447 cfm.

timdog4 said:
Are you just gonna use fan for cooling hood? Or are you gonna also use it to exhaust your growroom. If it is for hood only, a 4 in vortex will be plenty, its only a couple cubic feet. But if your gonna use it with carbon filter and exhaust whole growroom the a 6" vortex will work, i think they are 447 cfm.

Hey, thanks....

Yea I was going to hang a carbon scrubber before the inline then after the fan attach a Y connector with ducting running tho the fan and a second duct running out the room...

I was thinking since 1600 watts are under the hood a 747 would be needed since im using the same inline to run the scrubbed air out of the room

Nothing wrong with that. I ran the same thing at one time;

Old.jpg

The exhaust is out the bottom of the area attached to an inline. The inline splits with a "T", one direction hits the scurbber and the other pulls from the hood. The trick here is the hood cirucuit needs to continue out of the room capturing only fresh air. If the hood was open on one end you would be by passing the scrubber with some of the air.

The setup above could easily be improved with a "Y" splitter to encourage more air flow out.

IMO ventilation is the hardest obstacle to overcome. Best of luck... Essentially you are trying to kill two birds with one stone here. Or in this case 2 circuits with one inline and it can be done. I do not know about your intake but you are going to need at least an 8" passive.

Mr. Bubbles said:
Nothing wrong with that. I ran the same thing at one time;

View attachment 45438

The exhaust is out the bottom of the area attached to an inline. The inline splits with a "T", one direction hits the scurbber and the other pulls from the hood. The trick here is the hood cirucuit needs to continue out of the room capturing only fresh air. If the hood was open on one end you would be by passing the scrubber with some of the air.

The setup above could easily be improved with a "Y" splitter to encourage more air flow out.

IMO ventilation is the hardest obstacle to overcome. Best of luck... Essentially you are trying to kill two birds with one stone here. Or in this case 2 circuits with one inline and it can be done. I do not know about your intake but you are going to need at least an 8" passive.

You are suggesting an 8" passive for my intake...

I was thinking more along the lines of a squirrel cage....

Deeyou said:
You are suggesting an 8" passive for my intake...

I was thinking more along the lines of a squirrel cage....

"At the very least". Got some dimensions? Is the room airtight?

You would be suprised at how much air will flow in through a passive when your pulling 440CFM out.

Mr. Bubbles said:
"At the very least". Got some dimensions? Is the room airtight?

You would be suprised at how much air will flow in through a passive when your ******* 440CFM out.

My grow room is a 5x5 flower room constructed with 2x4's and black/white poly for the walls.

its not airtight as I screwed a plywood panel to the frame of the growroom in two different spots for intake and exhaust..

The air in the grow room will be exhausted outside into the main room which is 8x10

IMO, at the very least you know you need a decent inline. Start there. I still say go with the 6". Try what you had in mind with just a new inline and a passive before you invest any further. You will still need a fan circulating the air around the room blowing on the plants.

Mr. Bubbles said:
IMO, at the very least you know you need a decent inline. Start there. I still say go with the 6". Try what you had in mind with just a new inline and a passive before you invest any further. You will still need a fan circulating the air around the room blowing on the plants.

Thanks again my dude... In regards to blowing the air around the room I have a wall mount oscillating fan =)

Thats perfect, IMO you should keep that unit as close as possible to the intake or at least on the same side in your box. Additionaly if possible locate the ballast outside of your grow. If you must place the ballast inside the growing area, get that baby as close as possible to the intake without blocking any air.

I do not know if you are comfortable or where to look if you have done so, but I would love to see some pictures of your box. Good Luck

Mr. Bubbles said:
Thats perfect, IMO you should keep that unit as close as possible to the intake or at least on the same side in your box. Additionaly if possible locate the ballast outside of your grow. If you must place the ballast inside the growing area, get that baby as close as possible to the intake without blocking any air.

I do not know if you are comfortable or where to look if you have done so, but I would love to see some pictures of your box. Good Luck

im just getting done putting the finishing touches on it... when the grow is ready to go... im going to post pictures!

hey bubbles do u have any good links for passives... im going to get to work on the intake

hey everyone, ms4ms here. I read this panel at least an hour a day. I read all the posts in this thread. I am almost done with my built room. This may not sound right but if your having so many problems with heat use 1 light. I "read" that mh and hps are good for both veg and flower.

Latest posts

Back