corn pollination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydhead

Reaction score
My corn came up pretty spotty this year.Some stalks are isolated from the rest.When it comes time for pollination what is the best way to it by hand?Does the plant use its own pollen?Or should I transplant the isolated ones?

Good question, I always do the rows and if a couple are spotty I would move them in towards the rest. I have 2 kinds going this year, probably a bit behind you but I find if you get them all in rows, even the isolated ones you should be good on pollination. But like I always say "what do I know" LOL I do know that I have and am growing corn.

Instead of planting corn in long skinny rows, it is best to plant corn in the most square shape possible for small patches..... Most, if not all, strains of corn need to cross pollinate to be successful... Pretty much the closer you can plant it together without choking or overshading , the better it is.

Can I ask a stupid question?What is cross pollination?Where one plant is pollinated by another?Can I just take tassles from one plant and pollinate the isolated ones or does it need multible tassles to pollinate one plant.Hope that makes sense.

Yea you can take one plant and pollinate the loners..... Cross pollinating just means that a plant cannot polleninte itself...... G'luck with it

Once the corn tassles began releasing pollen I made sure that each ear got pollen from the other stalks.I dont know if it was needed but it all turned out ........full ears of corn with no missing rows.

Latest posts

Back