couple questions, advice needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growboy19

Reaction score
first question is how much heat does a 400 watt HPS light emit? I'm going to be growing in a closet. I have a window with an AC unit right next to it, so i'll be able to pump cool air in there if needed. Lets say for instance the closets ambient temperature is roughly 75 degrees. What can i expect the rise in temp to be with the light running 24/7? My closet dimensions are 9' long, 4'5" wide, and 6' high. It has two sliding doors so i'll be able to keep the ends open for decent ventilation in addition to a closet fan providing good air circulation.

My second question is do you guys prefer femenized seeds? I dont plan on cloning, atleast at first. Maybe after i get some growing experience, but thats a bridge i'll cross later on. This being the case, would femenized seeds be a good idea for me starting out?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

:welcome: to MP. Ive noticed that my 400 raises the temps about 5 degrees in my area. Fem seeds are nice but for someone without much or any experience id say pass them by and just grow some bag seed till you have your closet dialed in.

nah im not gonna grow bagseed. im gonna order my seeds from somewhere, and start off by growing 1-2 plants. i have grown a few plants before, but it was without proper equipment and the seeds were mids. i have limited experience, but i have a pretty good idea of what to do now, especially after reading all the information on this site.

dubbaman- what are the dimensions of your grow area? Is it a closed space or open?

Looking good Kludge

Kludge- Nice setup. I'm surprised that light provides enough for all them plants. Thats awesome that it does though. How many weeks are those plants at? Their looking good. What strain are they?
My closet is upstairs and gets pretty hot in the summer, but with the window AC unit running it's around 80-85 degrees in my closet. I said 75 degrees because i don't plan on starting until September, when its slightly cooler. Im not concerned about the electric bill. I live with my brother and my girlfriend, so we split the bill 3 ways. I've actually been running my AC all day, leaving lights on all day, etc for the past few months just so there isn't a drastic spike in my energy bill once i start growing.

Do any of you live in the United States? Have you ordered seeds from an online seedbank? I was looking at Dr. Chronics website because i have read many people order from there but their website says they will only ship to countries where the possession of hemp seeds is legal. I know i have read posts by people from the US who have ordered from there so I'm a bit confused.

Doc is very good. Nirvan is good but Doc caries for pure genetic strains.

Both site I have baught from and I am in USA California

sweet, thanks for the info. it's weird they say that though. you order your seeds to a PO Box, or straight to your house?

im looking at the purple wreck strain from dr. chronic. anyone have any experience growing that strain? it looks like a beaut.

ya, im gonna wait till September when the ambient temp will be right around 75.

Will do. Do you have a carbon filter for your closet? If not what do you use to mask the smell?

Depends on the situation. For the most part i prefer an energetic high. I want to grow sativa strains with a mix of indy to help keep 'em shorter and bushier. Any particular seeds you recommend?

Latest posts

Back