Crazy seedling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hertz

Its everywhere. Really!
Reaction score
Just moved some seedlings to their new home uder a 400HPS a few days ago. One of the seedlings was a bit underdeveloped compared to the others, and was really struggling under the cfl's i was using. Since moving to the veg room, all of the seedlings have started to grow, including the runt, but I have noticed the runt grew 3 true leaves instead of 2. Is this normal, cause Ive never seen it before, and the thing looks pretty healthy now. Could it be just a slight genetic deformity? or a different strain.

Thanks guys.

hey hertz...had the same thing happen. It just never developed one side on its first or second set of leafs. The plant is 2 months old now, it's fine. good luck

lil'node

I have seen this many times however not in any of my grows. From what I have read like the poster above said it will correct itself soon enough.

its a polypoid, three sets of leaves on the meristem. if it continuesto grow without dying the possibility of increased yeild will be noted. these plants are known to start as runts then explode later. you are lucky myfriend!

i hope she does well for you! :)

Polyploid?..or just "Whorled Phyllotaxi"??
Poly' or tri-ploid plants are an expression of extra chromosomes. I don't think whorled phyl' are 'necessarily' polyploid.

Polyploidy has not been shown to occur naturally (according to Clarke, most commonly accomplished with colchicine), and refers to extra chromosomes, not extra leaves.
Whorled phyllotaxy is simply three leaves/branches per node as opposed to two.
Clarke has this to say about it:
"Whorled phyllotaxy is associated with subsequent anomalies in the growth cycle (i.e., multiple leaflets and flattened or clubbed stems). Also, most whorled plants are staminate and whorled phyllotaxy may be sex-linked."
It's all discussed in Chapter 3

So if its sex linked, would that lead me to belive its more likely to be male or female. Thanks for the input guys.

I checked out the little runt tonight, and the next set of nodes are apearing, and you guessed it. There's 3 of them. Will try to get a pic tonight for you all.

Hertzy.

hick ive had both veg n flower out to female and ive noticed that the females who were tri leaved noted an increase in yeild. a true polyploid can occur in nature and is relative to alterations in genetic makeup throughout generations as they evolve. i dont see how a true polyploid isnt non occuring in nature as has happened to growers throught these sites. i understand the odds of growth past a seedling is decreased and the plant might grow out of the tri leaf or even turn male at that, as do other mutants that make it. im just saying theres a possibility of it yeilding better... ive had single leaf plants lack growth in veg but explode beyond expectations later in the flowering cycle.

hick ive had both veg n flower out to female and ive noticed that the females who were tri leaved noted an increase in yeild. a true polyploid can occur in nature and is relative to alterations in genetic makeup throughout generations as they evolve. i dont see how a true polyploid isnt non occuring in nature as has happened to growers throught these sites.
"tri-leaved, does not necessarily make it a "polyploid".
I believe the anomoly that you see on the forums somewhat frequently, are "whorled phyllotaxi", but not polyploids.
Polyploids is..(I better c/p this, as it may go a li'l beyond my comprehension, and I don't wish to misinform..:p)
Polyploidy is the process of genome doubling that gives rise to organisms with multiple sets of chromosomes. The term ploidy (see glossary for this and other related terms) refers to the number of complete genomes contained in a single cell. In general, polyploid organisms contain a multiple or combination of the chromosome sets found in the same or a closely related diploid species. Polyploidy can arise from spontaneous somatic chromosome duplication, or as a result of non-disjunction of the homologous chromosomes during meiosis resulting in diploid gametes. It can also be artificially induced by treatment with drugs, such as colchicine, which inhibits cell division.
I'm not sure "how" the average grower, would determine polyploidy in mj.
..."most whorled plants are staminate and whorled phyllotaxy may be sex-linked
I have had two or three, whorled P' plants, all were males.
That is the extent of my experience with them...

Polyploids have been known to occur in nature, in some species of plants, but as "I" understand it, noy in mj. BUT, as a product of evolution, I can see where it 'could'.

odds are they were just whorled phyllotaxi then as youd have to have a lab to determine scientificly whats what.

So guys, is it worth hanging on to do you think, or just finish him off and free up valuable light space? I was really hoping it would be a girl (obviously) but if its a boy, it should really move on dont you think.

True. I hope its a big girl with HUGE buds. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back