curling???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
some of these plants leaves are curling downwards like upside down canoes. its not bad, probably 2 to 4 leaves on each plant. i heard it was a pH problem. my tap water tested 6.25 and the runoff was 6.75. is my ph the problem???

chunkybuds2311 said:
some of these plants leaves are curling downwards like upside down canoes. its not bad, probably 2 to 4 leaves on each plant. i heard it was a pH problem. my tap water tested 6.25 and the runoff was 6.75. is my ph the problem???
Does your tap water have chlorine in it or is it well water?

What type of nutrients are you giving your plants?

How much of them are you giving your plants?

What is the recomended dose for your plants?

You can tell by the questions that more information is needed to properly answer your questions.

Can you post some pics of your plants?

Are your plants in hydro or dirt?

answer that and if potus gives you advise you better run with it. youll learn that quick

i'm using Bio Biz bio grow. it says 2-5ml per liter. i used about 3 per liter of tap in soil. is chlorine a big issue with tap water. Not very many leaves are doing it, just the bigger bottom ones. the last time i watered i didnt put any food in i just used my tap water.

i stuck my pH meter in the actual soil today which i hadnt done before and it read 7 almost 7.25. that is high isn't it? i dont know really, i've heard lots of different things on pH. I'll post pics asap.

chunkybuds2311 said:
i'm using Bio Biz bio grow. it says 2-5ml per liter. i used about 3 per liter of tap in soil. is chlorine a big issue with tap water. Not very many leaves are doing it, just the bigger bottom ones. the last time i watered i didnt put any food in i just used my tap water.

i stuck my pH meter in the actual soil today which i hadnt done before and it read 7 almost 7.25. that is high isn't it? i dont know really, i've heard lots of different things on pH. I'll post pics asap.
Yes, chlorine is a huge issue. Stop using it on your plants. It screws up so many things that you can't grow properly while it's present. Your ph for soil should be between 6.0 and 7.0.

6.5 is a good starting place to see how your strain reacts to it. Depending on your strains tolerance or preference, you might go as low as 6 or as high as 7. Over 7 is no good. Under 6 in soil is no good.

Change your ph slowly. A radical change will shock your plants. Move it by 0.1 each day.

Until you get your ph adjusted, I'd back off to the lowest suggested amount of nutrient. Your plant has less ability to deal with nutrients while it's ph is out of whack.

Buy yourself a 5 gallon bottle and fill it with RO water. The stuff is only 30 cents a gallon. You can fill that bottle for $1.50. Your plants will love you for it. It will also help you adjust your ph and maintain it.

I'm not sure if there is chlorine in my tap water but the RO water sounds like a good idea. And thanks alot with the tip on changing your pH slowly, i woulda messed that up. here are some pics. they're going at a good rate since theyve had a hps.

chunkybuds2311 said:
I'm not sure if there is chlorine in my tap water but the RO water sounds like a good idea. And thanks a lot with the tip on changing your pH slowly, i woulda messed that up. here are some pics. they're going at a good rate since they've had a hps.
If you use a well, then you more than likely don't have Chlorine in your water unless your landlord has added it to your system. If you're using "City" water, then yes, all water that is processed by anyone has Chlorine added in huge amounts to kill all the bacteria in it. I worked in a water treatment facility once. You don't really want to know... I would drink camel piss before putting that crap in my body, unless I was dying of thirst. Talk to a treatment operator about the filtering tank sometime... it's gross you out.

did those pics help ya out at all dude. besides some downward curling i have what looks like a burnt leaf on one plant, and another plant with a leaf turning upward. one picture i posted has some wierd yellowish-green sections on the leaves that its had since it was little. do ya know what the problems might be. i did check the pH with a better ph kit and found my tap water to be more around 7 than 6.

chunkybuds2311 said:
did those pics help ya out at all dude. besides some downward curling i have what looks like a burnt leaf on one plant, and another plant with a leaf turning upward. one picture i posted has some weird yellowish-green sections on the leaves that its had since it was little. do ya know what the problems might be. i did check the pH with a better ph kit and found my tap water to be more around 7 than 6.
Yes, the pics told me that your plants are still very small. If they were mine, I wouldn't be giving them any strength of nutes of any kind over 1/8th of the manufacturers recommended dosage. That's the strength I've always used at that size of plant and it's worked for me for probably more years than you've been alive....(about 30 years... or are you an oldster like me?)

I would start lowering my ph if I were you. Each day, try to lower it about 0.1 until you get to about 6.5 and stop there for about a week. Watch them closely and if they start growing New Growth nicely, then leave it there for another week and if it's still growing nicely and the New Growth is rapid, then keep it at that level. If the plant seems to stall, or still develops any type of unhealthy or abnormal growth characteristics, then continue dropping the ph until you get to about 6.2 . Then watch it and see what it does. One of those two levels of ph will result in rapid New Growth that is pristine and healthy.

Good luck to you man!

u said lower it by 0.1 every day, slowly, that makes sense, but i only water them every four or five days. if i do that do i lower the soil pH by 0.1 every watering or...how should i do that.
my plants are still small but do to height restrictions I'm going to switch to flowering when there about a 1 to 1.5 feet tall, which is soon. i've been training almost all of them so those ones are bushy and about 9 or 10 inches tall. they are showing signs of nutrient burn i think so i think i will go with alot less next time. thanks for the help man.

chunkybuds2311 said:
u said lower it by 0.1 every day, slowly, that makes sense, but i only water them every four or five days. if i do that do i lower the soil pH by 0.1 every watering or...how should i do that.
my plants are still small but do to height restrictions I'm going to switch to flowering when there about a 1 to 1.5 feet tall, which is soon. i've been training almost all of them so those ones are bushy and about 9 or 10 inches tall. they are showing signs of nutrient burn i think so i think i will go with alot less next time. thanks for the help man.
You could either water them with 1/4th the usual amount or lower it by .4 each watering.

your runoff suggests that your ph is fine, and there is no proof to support that chlorinated water will affect the plants negatively, i think you may be overwatering, or not watering enough, i used highly chlorinated tap water for most of my first grow with absolutely no ill affect whatsoever.

Dont stick your ph tester in soil unless it was made to do that, you will ruin it.

ph for soil should be between 6.3-6.8, outside of this ph range prevents uptake of key nutrients. you'll see.

JBonez said:
...there is no proof to support that chlorinated water will affect the plants negatively...
Totally wrong.

There is about a million studies done and published that show how different levels of potassium chloride affect plant growth, root health and flower production.

I'm not saying that a plant won't grow with chlorine present, I'm saying that chlorine will cause a plant to grow with lesser vigor and health than a plant grown under the exact same methods without the chlorine.

If you doubt that, then do a small experiment.

Take two identically grown plants and put them into exactly the same environment. Water one without chlorinated water and one with the chlorinated water. Make everything else identical.

Do this from seedling until the plants are two months old.

Then post pictures of both plants.

The one watered with chlorinated water will be noticeably shorter, less bushy, less healthy and be obviously in poorer condition than the one watered without the chlorine.

Latest posts

Back