Cutting to make it bush!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HERBDOWN

Reaction score
When is it the right time to cut your plant to bush it out?

I am growing outdoor, and have a plant about 2 feet now. Pictures of this being done would be great.

but any help will also be great, Thanks!

I like to start early. Usually 4th node, then it depends on the plant but I've got some east coast sour diesel x double purple doja. I saw some pix of it growing before I started mine and they looked lanky. So I topped mine at the 4th node, then the 6th node then the 8th node. Its bushy as heck now. about 2 ft by 2 ft now.

umbra said:
I like to start early. Usually 4th node, then it depends on the plant but I've got some east coast sour diesel x double purple doja. I saw some pix of it growing before I started mine and they looked lanky. So I topped mine at the 4th node, then the 6th node then the 8th node. Its bushy as heck now. about 2 ft by 2 ft now.

So its my frist time growing and waiting to bush it out.

But when you say nodes is that the two leafs that wrap around each other.

I only got one this year, outdoor. Just trying it out to see if I can do this.

yes. when the plants start the leaves are directly across from each other. they are referred to as nodes, where the leaf and the growing sprout are coming out of the stalk. As the plant matures, the nodes begin to alternate. it is a sign of sexual maturity. topping is effective before the nodes begin to alternate, so that instead of one main shoot they are 2. if you top them again, now there will be 4 main growing shoots. if you top them again there will be 8 shoots. so they get bushier and bushier. if you wait too long, then it does not have as much affect, because once the node start to alternate, you will still only have 1 main shoot.

HERBDOWN said:
when is it to late? I have about 8in above the 1 st node

It might be best if your plant is tall and lanky to just bend it over, tie the top down to the bottom of the pot.

What you have to remember weather you top or LST (bending) you need to give enough time for the plant to grow out and establish the new main branches both these methods create.
This makes for bigger stronger stems that will eventually form the main cola's, topping or lsting to much to late will form a bushy plant with alot of small buds.
Giving it time to vegg up after any training allows for a bushy plant with alot of big buds.

Latest posts

Back