Deal or no deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

here2learn

Reaction score
So I was pretty set on using cfl lights in my future grow box which will consume one of my two closets but all i hear is hps this hps that. IDK i think the whole cool tube thing scared me off but i came across this on ebay just wondering if you think its a good deal. I dont have the measurement on the apartment im movie into but im sure it will be fairly small so i was very worried about the heat thing and energy cost.

here:

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-400-watt-HPS-MH-GROW-LIGHT-400w-w-8-COOL-TUBE_W0QQitemZ390042721173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad05b9b95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

but then i saw this...

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/1000-watt-HPS-GROW-LIGHT-1000w-1-000-COOL-TUBE-cooltube_W0QQitemZ390051857349QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad0e703c5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

or should i just stay away from those cheesy advertised ebay systems? If so what systems do you recommend?(cfl ,hps,etc) Im going to be growing lowryder 2 (good for my lack of space and easy first grow) I know its all about personal taste etc but what would you use for a smaller grow box that will be inside a standard size closet,while considering energy cost, price, heat etc.

thanks in advance

I didn't check the ebay links.. BUT
the recommended 5,000 lumens p/sq. ft. is actually going to cost "more" to produce with fluorescents than w/ a HID.... AND produce a very similar amount of heat.

HPS is the way to go for growing

Flourecent is good for the seedlings and for tweaking your HPS grow more , but Flourecent is still good for growing because the heat the produces in Flourecent can be cooled by air blowing to it , but with HPS , it needs a cooltube or you cant maintain control at all.

i use a 400 hps in a small closet ,,ventalation is the answer :D,and imo i wouldnt flower with cfls if you can get hps ,,,,
as im doing a comparasion at the minute and the cfl grow looks terrible ,,,
but i have seen some great grows with just cfls :peace:

check out craigslist and search for "hps". you may just get lucky--as always buyer beware

I have been lookin at the exact same lights on ebay......what did you finialy decide on? I am having a heck of a time trying to decide which way to go. I am currently on cfl's but I need an upgrade.

I would go ahead and get the hps. HPS is so much better for flowering than cfls. You can't go wrong with hps. Making a cooltube isn't that hard. I believe there are a couple good DIY cooltubes in the DIY forums. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Take care and be safe.

im not sure how many watts of cfl u would be using but hps is really good although it is quite expensive. i would use the hps with cool tube because the hps will probably do alot better and with the cool tube heat won't be a problem. if you do decide to hps i would get the 1000 watt w/ 1000 watt cool tube because it is more than double the strength and you will already be spending a fairly large amount so might as well get the best.

p.s. ive also heard that the 600 watt hps is also really good and the 1000 watt is only a little better so if u can find a 600 for a dramatically lower price go ahead and get that but if there isn't too much of a difference stick with the 1000. that's if you dont go with cfl. just go with your budget

Hi,

Before you jump into anything you should really consider what will be required for the ventilation setup and temp control, especially since you're planning on doing it in a rented apartment and it often requires a window or new hole in the ceiling or wall to run proper ventilation. Keep this in mind when looking for your rental. And remember that the cool tube can be your best friend in a very limited space.

Peace!:cool:

Latest posts

Back