deficiencys now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkyelements

Reaction score
Hey all of you have been really helpful and so are the stickys but getting advise personally and one on one with all of you helps a lot more. This is the best place for real people and mature growers

So i just got through a few problems I thought were dealt with but here we go with some more, im being patient but want to catch a new prob early to prevent it from getting worse. I had what I thought was nute burn from MG of course, so transplanted and things are looking better with the rest of the growth but slowly the bottom fans tips are getting rust spots and yellowing again, and tips seem to be curling under on the one strain, take a look and tell me what you think

Thanks
StinkyE

Hockey and More 043.jpg

Hockey and More 044.jpg

Hockey and More 047.jpg

Hockey and More 045.jpg

I have the ph under control about 6.5, the taller one is about 4wks the other is 3.
I have a 250 watt hps and 2 cmpct fluoro's, RH is 35-45% temps around 75-85, i have them in hyponex soil no nutes mixed with perlite. would epsom salt help this, do they need nutes or is it burn?

I am not sure but it looks like you got some new growth there...which is a good sign...

oh yea definitely do i just pinched them the other day and that has split and has new growth already. Im just worried whatever has been showing now will continue to grow throughout the plant, the pics dont really show what i see the rust/copper spots on the tips and in the middle of some leafss are getting lighter yellow spots. I just dont know if its burn or deficiency or other prob. so i can correctly fix it.

Stinky, transplanting because of a mg def is a drastic response IMO. Your plant could easily be showing some signs of stress simply from transplant. Keep in mind that low humidity increases transpiration and will result in higher Mg demands. This is why it is wise to raise RH in periods with Mg def. It assists in prevented moisture loss at the leaf tips and edges.

All that being said, truthfully it doesn't look like a Mg def. to me any way. It could be, but the pictures show little interval yellowing. IMO your problem is in the soil choice. A high quality, well airated substrate will help in producing high quality herb. Hyponex is compact even with added pearlite. I've read some bad reviews..best of luck...............check this thread out

hxxp://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lab/msg1003535616441.html

:cool: jman- u kinda just reassured me about my choice of soil i just have a limited availability or experience to figure out a good mix, and i do think the transplant gave her a shock too. So I think your with me on this one.

But when i said mg i meant miracle grow soil 3 month release that was burning them up.....................

Sorry about the confusion - I misunderstood. Getting out of that soil is a good idea - What did you transplant it into?

Haha. -Thats when I moved one into a 2gal. and the other into a 1gal, of that hyponex cheap stuff mixed with pearlite and peat moss just to get it out of the Miracle grow ASAP.

So now i dont know if i should get a better medium mix and transplant again, prob. a good idea but i dont want to stress them too much.:confused:

If the soil sucks I wld transplant to a better soil...you can make your own or look for a seed starter potting mix like MG has...it works great...

Hamster Lewis said:
If the soil sucks I wld transplant to a better soil...you can make your own or look for a seed starter potting mix like MG has...it works great...

Thats what you use isnt it, and that works throughout the whole grow? With minimal watering or does it not have nutes?

the plants are going to need nutes. That stuff Hamster is talking about doesn't have the time release nutes...you don't want that time release sfuff thats why he recommended the seedling mix. Eventually your plants will need nutes, an they look old enough now. But if you keep repotting, pinching them, and letting them get ill from deficiencies and what not, you are going to stress the hell out of them...they need to recover. I've never used that soil your using it sounds like Jman has ...I don't know if that stuff is good enough for them to recover in.

Do you have nutes? Not that they need them right now...I think they need some good pH'd water and left alone for a few days...I just don't know if they will recover in that medium or not...good luck to you!

Hey stinkyelements-

Did you rinse the root mass at transplant or leave the soil on the root ball?

If you left some mg soil on the root ball, they could still be getting some nutes. A good flush could help if that's the case.

Good luck!

:yeahthat:

I'd start with that first, they just might be nute burnt, keep it simple making too many changes at once will only conplicate things.

Best Wishes
"P"

LF- I was going to go with the seedling mix too but made a BAD spur of the moment decision...That soil I got sucks, I thought I could make a mix but apparently not. I agree retransplanting again and not taking care of whatever issue now will def. stress them or kill them. But I need to figure out what deff. they have to change anything first.
I do have nutes, neptunes harvest fish emulsion, i have not used on these yet. Im keeping ph ok but i dont know if they will recover in this crap either, but like you said repotting again could be bad so I dont know....

BBfan- good point i didnt rinse them i just kinda loosened the soil from the roots a good amount but maybe i needed to rinse them i didnt know that would have been ok! You think a good flush will help and repot bad idea?
Thanks for the heads up on that, and stoppin by!

DynaGlideGuy- thanks for the support, I think that could work, and Im trying to keep it simple. What do you think about repotting and new soil, too risky again?

puffin- i could have made the MG work if i listened i bet......and yea im glad they are doin good for you! save me some!:rolleyes:

I have'nt repotted the younger one again into a bigger pot like i did with the other after the new soil so maybe i can test her in some new stuff in a bigger pot.
Any more advise, input greatly appreciated. save my girls!

Take a deep breath and relax Bro...your plants really don't look that bad...you hve some really good looking new growth and that's what matters most...there is nothing going on that I see that is life threatening...stay the course with properly ph'd water and stop pinching them for now...let them get back on track...

HL- Ok Im gonna try to relax, and let things play out for now. Thanks for the reassurance! Do you think i should try to get them in a better medium or not be concerned with that right now? Because it is very compact and just holds way too much water, i can tell it will eventually be a bigger prob.You have been very helpful.

stinkyelements said:
HL- Ok Im gonna try to relax, and let things play out for now. Thanks for the reassurance! Do you think i should try to get them in a better medium or not be concerned with that right now? Because it is very compact and just holds way too much water, i can tell it will eventually be a bigger prob.You have been very helpful.

I wld get a better medium if it looks like it is going to be a perpetual problem...not sure what you can get your hands on but here is a cpl soil mixes I found online...you shld be able to find the ingredients at lowes or home depot...:

Seedling mix for seedlings
2 parts compost
2 part peat moss or coir
1 part perlite

The second recipe is a soilless recipe based on the Cornell Mix concept; the third is a classic soil-based formula.

Organic substitute for Cornell Mix (large quantity)
1/2 cu. yd. Sphagnum peat or coir
1/2 cu. yd perlite
10 lbs. bonemeal
5 lbs. ground limestone
5 lbs. bloodmeal

Classic soil-based mix
1/3 mature compost or leaf mold, screened
1/3 garden topsoil
1/3 sharp sand

Note: This mix results in a potting soil that is heavier than modern peat mixes, but still has good drainage. Compost has been shown to promote a healthy soil mix that can reduce root diseases. Perlite can be used instead of sand. Organic fertilizer can be added to this base.

Prick-out mix for growing seedlings to transplant size
6 parts compost
3 parts soil
1-2 parts sand
1-2 parts aged manure
1 part peat moss, pre-wet and sifted
1-2 parts leaf mold, if available
1 6" pot bone meal

The following recipe is credited to Eliot Coleman.

Organic potting mix
1 part sphagnum peat or coir
1 part peat humus (short fiber)
1 part compost
1 part sharp sand (builder's)

to every 80 qts. of this add:

1 cup greensand
1 cup colloidal phosphate
1 1/2 to 2 cups crabmeal, or bloodmeal
1/2 cup lime

HL- You are awesome, Thanks! What works best for you, i know you suggest the seedling mix, will that work for the long haul, and if i do repot should i wait before doing that again, and rinse the roots like BBfan said?

stinkyelements said:
HL- You are awesome, Thanks! What works best for you, i know you suggest the seedling mix, will that work for the long haul, and if i do repot should i wait before doing that again, and rinse the roots like BBfan said?

I use the MG seed starting mix exclusively now...I hve had such great results from it that I will stick with it till I can't get it any more....if you can find it it is a good buy...even when it compacts up it stays light enough for the roots...it has almost no nutrients in it so you will hve to figure out a feeding schedule with whatever nutrients you are going to use...I use the GH 3 part and will be sticking with that as well...it is cheap and works great...very easy to mix as well...if you re-pot I wld do like BBfan said and rinse the roots with ph'd water then hold the plant up in the pot while you fill in the pot with the new soil...
If I cld not find the MG seed start mix I wld probably make this one...
2 parts compost
2 part peat moss or coir
1 part perlite

It looks easy...not sure if lowes or home depot sell compost though...

Latest posts

Back