did i win the seed lottery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kasgrow said:
Here is one of the authors that I get my info from.

hxxp://hightimes.com/grow/soma/622

I know many people don't like fem seeds and that is cool. I understand why and I agree to some of it. I would just like somebody to direct me to something that explains another way to make fem seeds. Yes, you have to use the most stable seeds possible to make the most stable plants. I have and still use fem seeds along with standard seeds. I have standard seeds from popular breeders hermie before fem seeds. Everybody has an opinion and that is cool. I would like to see some links to some facts. Maybe soma is full of it and I am using the wrong point of reference but nobody has given me any other. Educate me with facts and not opinion. I have been growing a long time so I am not just talking from books. I know there are more than a few of you with even more knowledge and growing time and I respect the opinions of many of you but back it up for us please.

hXXp://www.hobart.k12.in.us/jkousen/Biology/psquprac.htm <-------
and hXXp://www.dobermann-review.com/info/genetics/mendels_genetic_laws2.htm

Hick said:
hXXp://www.hobart.k12.in.us/jkousen/Biology/psquprac.htm <-------
and hXXp://www.dobermann-review.com/info/genetics/mendels_genetic_laws2.htm

Ok I read the links and I didn't see anything about how fem cannabis seeds are made. I understand genetics and how they are crossed. How does that explain how fem seeds are made? How are they made if not by causing a female plant to herm and taking the pollen to fertilize a female plant? I wasn't questioning how genetics are passed that is common knowledge. I was talking about how fem seeds are made. I know that a plant will carry genes from it's parents. I have done a lot of breeding. That doesn't change the way fem seeds are made though. Are fem seeds made some other way than causing a female plant to herm for the pollen, whether it be through condition stress or chemical stress? I wouldn't cross a plant that hermies easily with another plant because I know that the seeds will hermie easy.
NO Offense Hick, I have nothing but respect for you and your views, but I am not questioning how genetics are passed but how fem seeds are made if not the ways stated. I have made my own fem seeds with no problems with hermies using some of the methods I referred to.

If you have a pure female seed it will not hermie under any condition, what your talking about doing is why they have hermies all over the place now.

gsxr1000 said:
If you have a pure female seed it will not hermie under any condition, what your talking about doing is why they have hermies all over the place now.
Actualy there are hermies because cannabis plants react to stress by herming to ensure the survival of their genes. Most sativa strains and a lot indica strains will hermie as a stress reaction. Google it and you will see what I am talking about. Read it in the words of famous breeders, it is common knowledge. I have been growing an Arjans haze #3 for years now with no hermies. It is a fem seed. I have had the same results with other fem seeds. I have grown out many of the seeds in my journal with no problems. If fem seeds are breed right they can be very stable. Check out my grow journal and the soma link in my previous post.

they are made from hermies.. they further ingrain/proliferate the characteristic into the gene pool.
Something the BREEDERS not 'pollenchuckers/seedmakers', but the breeders that worked diligently to bring us the superior potent strains that we are privileged to be growing today, worked hard to eliminate from the pool.
Why?.. becuase they knew it is an 'undesirable' characteristic/trait, when trying to grow "top quality" drug grade mj.
I will agree, 'to a point'.. in that "if" properly bred, they serve a purpose. For example a S1 in an attempt to "save" a particular, special or rare phenotype. For "femminisation", the plant should be "stress tested" as GSXR says above, to determine IS a true female... one that will 'not' hermie under environmental stress. THEN.. 'that' female should be treated with GA or silver thiosulfate. The pollen collected from the staminate flowers resulting from the treatment, can then be used on another clone of "that" true female, to produce "femminised" seeds.
Any use of environmentally stress induced hermies, "IMHO", should never be used.

A female plant hermies when treated chemically too. That is how the male pollen sacks come about. If it is a true female then it can't make pollen without being hermied. Yes, I totally agree that if you are breeding you should stress test the plants to find a female that is most resistant to hermie but in the end the female must produce male pollen to make fem seeds from another female. I never suggested the original poster breed his unknown seeds I only suggested that if that is what he has he should grow it and see what he gets.
A hermie is not the end of the world you just want to keep it from pollinating your plants. Growing a seed to find out what it is is not causing hermies to take over the world. The original cut of trainwreck was known for how easy it hermied until some breeders that were not afraid to work with a hermie breed it out of the seeds available now. Breeding is taking plants desirable traits and breeding out the undesirable traits. That is how drug forms of cannabis were made, through human intervention. In most cases todays stable strains were breed to be that way but they came from seed that was not so stable.
What gsxr said is that a true female will not hermie which is wrong. If you treat it with the chemicals you quoted and others it will hermie. Doing what I have said is not what causes hermie seeds to be all over the place. Creating hermie seeds and passing hermie seeds around are what cause them to be all over. You can grow a so called true female plant but if it is hemp it is useless. It is all about responsible breeding and seed spreading. Anybody can create seeds but it takes somebody that knows how to breed to make proper seeds. I respect your opinion about stressed induced hermies not being used to make fem seeds. I make them sometimes for my personal use but I am not selling them or even giving them away nor do I suggest it. I was only stating how fem seeds are made. Again it is by stress either environmental or chemical. Some professional seed breeders like soma use environmental stress and other breeders use chemicals but they are all made by inducing a female to hermie.

Latest posts

Back