Different types of HPS lamps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LV_pothead

Spaceman Spliff
Reaction score
Is there a real difference in the different HPS lamps? For example there are Eye Hortilux and Son-T and just plain standard HPS lamps. So I guess the question is, is there a big difference when it comes to growing? Their is like a $60 difference in price, but is it worth it?

I like and use sun systems.... if they have a warranty u should be fine.

Growdude said:
IMO, no - Use sylvainia

agreed.. but if you have a dimmable ballast like my lumetek that has "super lumens" crock of crap.. i like to call it a bulb burner.. the horts last longer in there on super lumens then the reg bulbs..
LH

I would have to agree with both of you and appreciate your feedback. Knowing what I know about lights, HPS are all real close to the same spectrum. So why is one worth 20 bucks and the other is worth 80 bucks? Typical marketing scams I suppose.

LV_pothead,

You've got to right on the marketing scam. Oh they will make a small change and claim great things, but most of the growers that I know who are in a position to use anything they want and have no connections to any particular line of lights use commercial bulbs - usually Sylvania or Philips.

Great smoking.

LV_pothead said:
I would have to agree with both of you and appreciate your feedback. Knowing what I know about lights, HPS are all real close to the same spectrum. So why is one worth 20 bucks and the other is worth 80 bucks? Typical marketing scams I suppose.

from what im told the horts and what not have more of the blue spectrum put into it.. you know "there made for growing" give you what the "plant" needs.. lol maybe they do take more abuse then the standards..
but it sure didnt take long to dim my "standard" buld on super lumens.. so we will see what a "specialty bulb does.. last longer maybe or maybe not.. i think its for thoughs who want more of a browder spectrum in there grow areas though.. and theses bulbs claim to do. i willlet you know if there is a diference in life of bulbs though..
LH

Latest posts

Back