Digital Ballast Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto-Man

Noli urinae contra ventus
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a "Virtual Sun" digital dimmable 600W ballast and it has failed to switch on a couple times now. It has also kinda turned off on its own a couple times too. This was when I had it on 660W - or "overdrive" as I imagine it.

I've since switched it back to 600 (it also does 400 and 350).

Has anyone else had a problem with these? It seems terribly arbitrary and I hate not being able to understand/explain things :)

Cheers,

I don't know about the "overdrive" on these electronic ballasts. I don't use them as it has been my experience that overdriving electronics is a short road to electronic failure. It sounds like the overdrive is overheating it and causing it to shut down. I say if you need more lumens, get another light. Now that I think about it, my Bro has had problems with his Lumatek using the "overdrive", and has had premature failure from it.

I wouldn't use that anymore and see if the ballast has anymore trouble. The first time it does, if it is still within warranty, I'd be calling the manufacturer.

Thx HP, I think something else is going on... it's anomalous alright. I have the ballast vertical on a stud, fastened securely, it comes on, then it turns off minutes later. Once I unplug and plug back in, we seem fine.

I wonder if my timer device might be at fault... I think I will switch it out and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

I know this thread is getting old but I had the same problem and noticed if you pull out the little fuse thats underneath the plug you will see that it gets covered in some kind of corrosion, just wipe it off and it works fine.

Latest posts

Back