do environmental factors effect flowering time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuman

Reaction score
how much (if any) do environmental factors effect the length of time needed for a plant to finish? heres a hypothetical example, lets say I have two grow rooms, both 3x3, both contain the same 9 week strain, both seeds popped within a day of each other, both had 4 weeks veg under flouros, but then 1 room has a 600 watt hps, and temp is about 75 deg, the other room has 400 watt hps and temp about 60 deg, ventilation is same, water/nutes are same
should both rooms finish at about the same time?

Hey There emuman!

IMO- Yes. Environment will affect flowering times.

However, in your scenario, I think the only difference will be in size. But not because of light, but rather temperature. Ideal photosynthesis temperature (for enzymatic light independent functions) is around 77 deg F (in an environment without elevated CO2 concentrations). So at 60 deg F, you are substantially limiting your growth.

The onset of flowering should however be the same, so finish time should be relatively close IMO.

But, that's book knowledge. I've never done side by side grows as you describe. I hope you will share your progress with us. I'd be very interested in hearing the results.

I have two bloom rooms separated by a wall, both have 4 1000W, same nutes, same water, each has its own A/C unit (two separate condensers), and being fed fresh air from the same source.

Normally both rooms stay within 3 to 5 degrees F of each other and finish time is the same for both, however during this past summer the freon from one of my condensing units had leaked out rendering one A/C unit useless and only blowing hot air. This rose the temps in that one room to well over 100F for just one day, the other room was perfectly set at 76F. Granted this was only for a short period and the room was too hot, it did stress the plants and set the one room back a whole week.

With a 15 degree difference as you state above (colder) it may cause one side to grow faster due to the fact that it has more of what it needs to do so as BBFan stated above. I would try to get these number as close to each other as possible.

Thats intersting Diablo. I just got a free airconditioner yesterday, a little window unit, perfect size to go in my shed, like 18" long, by 11' high. I didn't check it's BTU(?) but it's like new. Doing some work for my landlord, and people just left this thing in the window, the landlord said take it.

Maybe that summer shut-down won't happen???

legalize_freedom said:
Thats intersting Diablo. I just got a free airconditioner yesterday, a little window unit, perfect size to go in my shed, like 18" long, by 11' high. I didn't check it's BTU(?) but it's like new. Doing some work for my landlord, and people just left this thing in the window, the landlord said take it.

Maybe that summer shut-down won't happen???

Man! props on the free stuff! I am using split air units similar to this one from LG hXXp://compareindia.in.com/media/images/2007/jul/img_2243_lg_lm4865c21.jpg But the ones I have is one condenser to one blower and each one is 18,500 BTU. The window units are good. I like to have a minimum of 3500 BTU per 1000W (of light). The more the better so the A/C won't have to work so hard to cool the room and will not run all day long.

where I'm at I don't need to worry about it right now...I was actually worried about keeping them warm enough. Last summer I had some heat issues, and told myself I would get a small AC (higher power bill) I may still just do an outdoor again...I need a break, and would like to move...that would be much easier if I was shut down.

legalize_freedom said:
where I'm at I don't need to worry about it right now...I was actually worried about keeping them warm enough. Last summer I had some heat issues, and told myself I would get a small AC (higher power bill) I may still just do an outdoor again...I need a break, and would like to move...that would be much easier if I was shut down.

Same here, right now i am using can fans on a thermostat controller to bring in the 30deg F and colder outside air. my A/Cs have been off since mid October and will be till the end of March.

I guess it boils down to temperature more than other things? meaning that environmental temp has more of an effect than other slight environmental differences?

you see the thing is, my grow and my mothers grow are very similar, with the exception of hers being in her bedroom closet (@ her house) and mine being in my basement, we are growing the same sativa strain (something my sister-in-law got from a fisherman while in Dutch Harbor Ak) it is a struggle to keep my room above 60 deg, while hers is consistently 75 deg or higher, both rooms have had a successful battle against mites(YAY NEEM) but her girls are about the same size as mine, only that hers look to be further along than mine(denser buds/more trichs) also before I forget I gave her the sativa when I dropped the lights from 24/0 to 12/12 but she went 16/8 with hers.....

Temps and relative humidity will effect the growth IMO...if your moms grow is in the "optimal range" for both of these factors, hers would seem to do better.

i had my room in the garage before i moved it, in the winter the exact same strain took almost 3 weeks longer to finish.

Latest posts

Back