Do you need fans on 24 hours per day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groot

Reaction score
I have regular home use/oscillating fans in both my veg and flower rooms. They all seem to be doing very well. But I have begun to wonder...do I really need to have them running during the lights off cycles? Is it a waste of electricity?

I run my fans 24/7.
Helps with bugs and powder mildew.

Also, keeps those roots strong and working to strengthen the plant. :aok:

My fans are running 24/7.

Most everyone runs fans 24/7. They do so much to help the room.

During the day, they help to even out temperatures and prevent overheating. At night when the plants transpire a lot of moisture they help to preclude mold.

Also mentioned, it build strong main stems.

It also helps to distribute and mix the air that comes in from your intake.

It's all good and no bad. Well, there is wind burn but it's not very common.

Air exchange and movement is good.

Its really not an option imo, its a must. Shutting down fans is just asking for trouble. And their power use would barely be noticable.

I'm such a poopdisturber hahaha... I leave my ventilation going 24/7 but I turn off my oscillating fans when it's dark. I know they are not people but it just seems cruel to me to exercise them when they're trying to get some sleep.

its not the cruel part bud, its the death to all your hard work from pm, bugs, ect.
point the fans to ceiling and away from plant but imo, keep them going.
you need a breeze, even more so in smaller tents....

I understand sopappy...I didnt want them to get cold!

I'm such a poopdisturber hahaha... I leave my ventilation going 24/7 but I turn off my oscillating fans when it's dark. I know they are not people but it just seems cruel to me to exercise them when they're trying to get some sleep.

LOL--having an oscillating fan on is not "exercise". The oscillating fan is meant to simulate the wind. The wind does not quit blowing at night. Ergo, run your oscillating fan at night also. The oscillating fan should have nothing at all to do with whether or not they get cold--it simply moves the existing air in the space around. The exhaust fan is the one that would be bringing in cold air, if anything is.

It is pretty easy to get dead pockets of air in your tents if you don't keep the air moving. Especially in a smaller tent or one that is full of plants.

LOL--having an oscillating fan on is not "exercise". The oscillating fan is meant to simulate the wind. The wind does not quit blowing at night. Ergo, run your oscillating fan at night also. The oscillating fan should have nothing at all to do with whether or not they get cold--it simply moves the existing air in the space around. The exhaust fan is the one that would be bringing in cold air, if anything is.

Oh goodie, I love mixing it up with the goddess! Hi THG
Of course an oscillating fan is exercise, it blows on the plant and she sways building a stronger stem. I can't argue about the wind not blowing at night though, I'll have to concede that.

I think the OP was thinking along the lines of a fan cooling you off on a hot day. Sort of applicable because we both transpire.

I do see them droop when the lights are out and just feel a 6 hour break is well deserved... then again, looking at my present grow, I would not listen to me :) I also make up for the 6 hours rest by smacking them around for awhile when the lights come on again. Great stress reliever too if they are not performing.

No, "wind" is not exercise, it is just air moving around. While you may "feel" that a 6 hour break is "well deserved", this is not supported by science. Cannabis does not need a rest period and will grow all the time the lights are on. Giving them a rest period can and often does cause excessive stretch without any accompanying growing tip development (future bud sites). This is not a desirable thing and vegging 24/7 will help control stretch and ultimately result in bushier plants that yield more.

No, "wind" is not exercise, it is just air moving around. While you may "feel" that a 6 hour break is "well deserved", this is not supported by science. Cannabis does not need a rest period and will grow all the time the lights are on. Giving them a rest period can and often does cause excessive stretch without any accompanying growing tip development (future bud sites). This is not a desirable thing and vegging 24/7 will help control stretch and ultimately result in bushier plants that yield more.

Science. Darn.
7/24 sure would make controlling temperatures easier, and controlling stretch, yes,of course, I missed that... okay, okay, I'm convinced.
That's 3 for 3 for you!
1) rapid rooters
2) T5 cooling
3) 24/7 in veg

PS I don't want to hijack this thread, if you have the time and inclination, please check out my grow re my pending DWC attempt. I'm fuzzy over what I could grow under those LEDs which would answer my RDWC vs DWC dilemma -thanks

Yep, I'm convinced too! Fans will continue on 24/7 :)

She often straightens me out. I just go stand in the corner of my grow room for awhile and think about what I've done. What about the light? Leaving them on all the time too? I was always uncomfortable with that one but I'm doing it now too. I think we're just too sensitive, Groot.

I started with lights on in veg 24/7, but someone convinced me to go 18/6....I think they did better 24/7 so I will probably go back. I am a worry-wart, overly analytical. Sopappy, I am learning to laugh at myself.

I started with lights on in veg 24/7, but someone convinced me to go 18/6....I think they did better 24/7 so I will probably go back. I am a worry-wart, overly analytical. Sopappy, I am learning to laugh at myself.

I fall prey to that myself; that's why I started that stooopid Mythbuster's thread. There are many contradictions and different ways of doing things.
But the grow threads are the way to go here. I've seen some real battles on some of these forums but you won't find that here. Diamond in the rough, this place.

Latest posts

Back