Do your plants (= yourself) a favor...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While misting and or foliar feeding your plants occasionally while taking all appropriate precautions, twice daily seems excessive to me. It leaches the nitrogen from the leaves and stems. A method I use before taking cuttings, misting my plants twice a day for about a week before taking cuttings.

White WidowMaker said:
Buy a spray-bottle and practice a(n at least) twice daily spray both sides of leaves. Your plant will thank you for it, and you will thank your plant for the way it thanks you!

...and it's pretty cool that leaves are nearly see-through, so you can see the droplets on the bottom of the leaf still hanging after the top sides have dried out.

It keeps your plants clean and allows them to soak some moisture necessary for growing more quickly than through the roots (i.e. complements), and I wonder if it is advisable / ok to spray while in flowering stage? I am hopeful that if left to dry before the next dark schedule that mold won't be a problem, and would help to maintain clean buds that grow quicker and bigger because of the direct water absorption.

madpup said:
While misting and or foliar feeding your plants occasionally while taking all appropriate precautions, twice daily seems excessive to me. It leaches the nitrogen from the leaves and stems. A method I use before taking cuttings, misting my plants twice a day for about a week before taking cuttings.

Why do you say it leaches nitrogen from the leaves? What is the scientific source you are basing your statement on?

Does this mean bud grown in hawaii, indonesia, india, or any other humid, wet, rainy place is leaching nitrogen and producing lower quality bud?

If it leaches nitrogen, where is the nitrogen going? Why are my leaves greener if nitrogen is being leached out? Perhaps misting actually draws nitrogen to the leaves. In the past (without misting - also maybe due to other fertilizer factors...) my plants have been more yellowish. This plant (with worm castings of course another factor) is actually greener. So I don't think misting is leaching nitrogen out. Maybe drawing nitrogen to perhaps since the water (it would normally need to pull up from roots through the stems, to the leaves) is directly absorbed. Don't marijuana plants like humid (more water in air) environments, or so "they" say? I live in hot, non humid climate. The extra mist probably helps my plants that plants in humid environments would have easier time to draw the humidity from the humid air directly to the leaves.

White WidowMaker said:
Why do you say it leaches nitrogen from the leaves? What is the scientific source you are basing your statement on?

Does this mean bud grown in hawaii, indonesia, india, or any other humid, wet, rainy place is leaching nitrogen and producing lower quality bud?

If it leaches nitrogen, where is the nitrogen going? Why are my leaves greener if nitrogen is being leached out? Perhaps misting actually draws nitrogen to the leaves. In the past (without misting - also maybe due to other fertilizer factors...) my plants have been more yellowish. This plant (with worm castings of course another factor) is actually greener. So I don't think misting is leaching nitrogen out. Maybe drawing nitrogen to perhaps since the water (it would normally need to pull up from roots through the stems, to the leaves) is directly absorbed. Don't marijuana plants like humid (more water in air) environments, or so "they" say? I live in hot, non humid climate. The extra mist probably helps my plants that plants in humid environments would have easier time to draw the humidity from the humid air directly to the leaves.

IMO the 'leeching' would be due to the abscence of getting the nutrients through the roots. Misting w/ plain water, allowing the plant to "drink" through the foilage, without getting the proper nutrients from th soil/medium.
Not much different than trying to grow hydro without any nutrients.

i guess this is where everyone is.....
i been down sick.....
i missed all this week's flaming,banning, know it alls and all those who highjack threads. Darn, my life is kinda boring too....
excluding spidermites and Super males!

At least most of this thread is readable.

I am sorry you feel that way, and to think I am playing nice. I have really tried to help

Hick said:
IMO the 'leeching' would be due to the abscence of getting the nutrients through the roots. Misting w/ plain water, allowing the plant to "drink" through the foilage, without getting the proper nutrients from th soil/medium.
Not much different than trying to grow hydro without any nutrients.

This rationale seems valid. ...but let's consider that it is likely that plants do not stop feeding through their roots, and so the extra help to get the necessary moisture to the plant's "outer parts" that are growing I think would help the plant to speed up the moisture to that part of the plant, and it will continue to take nutrients from the roots after the 5 minutes dry-time have passed?? It seems like it is worthwhile to risk 5 minutes of "leaching".

edit

something white widow maker doesnt get is
that buddyluv is just trying to get a rise out of you...

..and its working :rofl:

just settle down

White WidowMaker said:

Yes it is...................................:D
I'm old school, read books before the internet was around....
Such as

Marijuana Botany: Propagation and Breeding of Distintive Cannabis.

Robert Connel Clarke

A little learning and lots of practice go a long way

If it leaches nitrogen, where is the nitrogen going? Why are my leaves greener if nitrogen is being leached out? Perhaps misting actually draws nitrogen to the leaves. In the past (without misting - also maybe due to other fertilizer factors...) my plants have been more yellowish. This plant (with worm castings of course another factor) is actually greener. So I don't think misting is leaching nitrogen out. Maybe drawing nitrogen to perhaps since the water (it would normally need to pull up from roots through the stems, to the leaves) is directly absorbed. Don't marijuana plants like humid (more water in air) environments, or so "they" say? I live in hot, non humid climate. The extra mist probably helps my plants that plants in humid environments would have easier time to draw the humidity from the humid air directly to the leaves.[/quote

No one needs to see anyones comment, we have an ignore feature here in place if you want to use it ;)

play-nice-sign.jpg

White WidowMaker said:
...no, no, it is that he is trying to get a rise out of himself because he has no life and this is how he gets his kicks in life.

He does so in violation of the rules against bashing / flaming (which includes negative hijacking of threads) - so he should be banned and he would lose the thousands of posts he has invested here over the years here.

WWM, the TDOC gave you a good suggestion just now when he said to just settle down a bit. Buddyluv is most definitely just trying to get a rise out of you. This is a marijuana forum, why not smoke some and chill. :eek: Your arguments make me dizzy with how often you repeat yourself. :ignore:

And if any posts are going to be deleted and removed from our servers it better not be Buddyluv because I for one as many other members can attest to have learned a great deal from many of those posts! So don't go around saying that the content that makes up our wonderful forum should be removed just because you don't like someone. :holysheep: That's just gonna piss off even more people than you already have. :D

WOW 21 deleted posts....think its time to shut this one down. prolly someone got banned somwhere by now :eek:
but i ain't gonna close it. has a debate hidden somewhere in here if we can quit the bashing.
If misting is good i would have to say right before lights on and right after off would be most beneficial...replicating the morning dew or evening condensation. which would mach nature but during lights on i wouldn't think so. thats when its high noon sun blasting down and the trichome coverage really starts jamming (protective reflex of the pot plant....leaf whats it called not evaporation the other one..transpiration? sorry stoned) so misting would it not sort of counter act this?

Growdude said:
Foliar feeding works well to correct a nutrient deficiency.

Thats it. FF is not a way to feed your plants consistently.

MJ plants are very resilant. You can abuse them in a number of ways and they will still produce. I have read many things that folks do to "help" out the plant, and folks think they are "helping", because the plant doesn't die.
That doesn't mean that the plant is producing to it's MAX. That, my friends, is what we are all after...maximizing the plants health and production.
All the storys about how you can pee on your plant and spray it down with water and give it mollases and add this "super secret" additive is all hype, imo and experience.

Beleive me when I say, the magic happens ar ROOT level.

Latest posts

Back