Does the brand of bulb impact heat generated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gourmet

Reaction score
Suddenly I am having a heat problem in my tent although the temps outside are cooler and I am using the same method as last grow when I had no issue with the temp in the tent.

However, I replaced my bulb with a Sylvania. I am using a 400 watt bulb. It seems to me that 400 watts will generate x amount of heat regardless of the brand of bulb, but I am wondering what everyone else has experienced? Is it possible that this brand bulb generates more heat than another brand?

If that bulb is generating more heat then it is defective. Regardless of the brand (barring any really crappy chinese made bulbs) there should be little difference in the level of heat emitted. If the bulb seems unusually dimmer or a darker color light, then it could be defective. I would be more inclined to think that you have some ventilation issues. I am constantly having to clean my vent screens of dust and bugs. I have also found several times where I didn't have a good connection on my exaust fan hose and the air was getting pulled so that it was bypassing the grow space some. Also check the input air openings for blockage. I have screens on mine to keep out the bugs and they get clogged pretty quick. :)

Thanks Hushpuppy. I just reconnected my ductwork to my fan (it had come loose) and the screens on the intake are clean. I am going to try to put the prior bulb back first since I already have it on hand. There is one more thing that is different than last grow and that is I replaced the oscillating fan with three small fans.

i've been runnin a blue spectrum hps(forget name), it steadily runs 4 degrees higher then last bulb. although i'm sure age must be a factor also...peace

Thank you brimck325. Tonights test should tell whether it is the bulb or I have other issues. I might also remove the ducting from the filter since I am pushing the air through the filter. Perhaps the inside of the filter is clogged up. Rabbit fur comes to mind (lol).

Yeah, I bet the loose ducting was the difference. I don't know if your grow space is very dusty but mine is in an old shed and I have more dust and fuzz, and dead bugs, and stuff gets clogged up quick on my filters pretty fast. But it is a pain when the flex hose comes off the blowers a little at a time and then you open up the room and its 99f in there :angrywife:

I found another gap in the ducting which I sealed up and now the temp is 83, still too high and still higher than previous grows ...I think I will put in an oscillating fan in addition to the three small fans and see if that brings it down a little more.

Oscillating fans are not going to do anything to help with heat issues. They just blow the air around that is in there and that does nothing to cool it.

Do you even need to use a filter now? I wouldn't connect anything to a filter unless/until I needed it. When your plants are small there should be no odor. Filters cut down on your cfms and make the fans not as efficient.

Good point Hemp Goddess. I will disconnect the filter for now and see if there is any improvement.

Latest posts

Back