Dont Believe The Hype!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGCOUGH

CHRONIC COUGH
Reaction score
Saw this on my hydro shops website.
Here is a Fax we got from a customer using LED's. This is a third party review of these products.

THEY JUST WON’T FINISH!
If you are thinking of growing under LED’s, read this first.

I am a newbie grower and when I decided to grow indoors, the LED light systems made to most sense. Growing in a closet, I thought low heat, no ballast and low energy bills made the LED light system the perfect solution.

How could I have been so wrong? I mean, everything I read said LED technology surpasses Metal Halide (MH) and High Pressure Sodium (HPS) bulbs hands down. I was totally sold on them. I am ashamed to admit I got sucked in not just once but several times before I finally saw the light (HID). Let’s be clear, there is no comparison between LED and HID.

I started with four 14 watt LED panels (114$ on EBAY). They are great for seedlings up to about 3 weeks. Next I bought a 45 watt LED panel and then a 55 watt panel (144 and 98$ respectively). These two light panels took me from seedlings to a weak vegetative growth cycle. With 100 watts of LED I was doing as well as I do under 40 watt fluorescent lights.

TIME TO FLOWER!!

I went for a 90 watt (158$+shipping) The ad said "more powerful than a 400 watt HPS", so how could I go wrong? In fact I was so convinced that LED's were the wave of the future for indoor gardening that I jumped on a 120 watt (299$ free shipping) which was supposed to be equivalent to running a 600 watt HPS light.

I was completely caught up in the LED hype, so much so, that i remained in denial about the fact that some of my plants never flowered even after 50 days on a 12 hour light cycle. The flowers I did finally get were small and never did quite finish even with the 120, 90, 45, and 55 watt LED's running all at once. Now that's a lot of purple light.

When you add up the cost of my LED adventure, I spent well over 600$, not to mention 6 months of growing time. Worst of all, I had nothing much to show for the time, money, effort expended.

One final note: My biggest mistake was not the LED decision, it was, not working with an experienced grower to advise me and warn me off dumb decisions. I thought i could save a few bucks going to Ebay instead of working with a knowledgeable retail dealer. I really understood when my retailer told me "WATTS EQUAL PRODUCTION".

So, you could decide to turn the world purple with LED's OR start producing something with HID lamps. I hope this helps you out. Good luck and happy growing.
Heres the link hxxp://www.texashydroponics.com/shop/product.php?productid=3241&cat=421&page=1[/URL]

Uh maybe a more experenced grower to show him how to do it um like.......the led growers here!

whats your point? I aint seen anything special about those UFO accept specialy priced.. Just my thaughts

Nothing special, just saying it can be done, some gj here were done with ufo's start to finish but no mention of purple light?

We don't know if the person who tried the leds even knows how to grow good bud, do we? Somebody get Stoney back. We need him.

You cannot produce as much with led's as you can with hid lighting.

Sorry, they are just not there yet.

If they were there, I and many other growers would be using them.
You can grow better weed by candlelight than led's.

...and they throw out PLENTY of heat.

JAAM did some cool things with em' but i don't think i'll ever get rid of my two 1000's ....JMO

I think even JAAM is using HID lighting now....

Latest posts

Back