dont mention LED's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JustAnotherAntMarching said:
Another Dr here to try and flex his muscles.... :rolleyes:

Lol...:yeahthat:

I know at this point in time HPS will out perform current LED technology, but don't come off like some arrogant prick and try and just dismiss the gains the technology has made, while making exaggerated claims like LED's need twice the veg length as HPS. Flowering has been were LED's have struggled, not in veg. We were trying to have a LED thread that clears up the confusion on where exactly LED technology is at this point. PJ was nice enough to stop by and share some of his knowledge on the subject. Everyone always bitches about wanting pics of a documented LED grow and PJ has done quite a few. He is not trying to sell anything to anyone just letting us share in what he has learned on the subject. I could see if someone was spamming but that's not the case here. Dr your buds look great, nice job. I know first hand just how good a job a HPS does at turning out the big fat dense dank buds. Just asking we keep it civil and not lose a chance at having a thread with some good info in it. jmo

And I like big budz too.

2.jpg

4.jpg
:hubba:

Hamster Lewis said:
Lol...:yeahthat:

I know at this point in time HPS will out perform current LED technology, but don't come off like some arrogant prick and try and just dismiss the gains the technology has made, while making exaggerated claims like LED's need twice the veg length as HPS. Flowering has been were LED's have struggled, not in veg. We were trying to have a LED thread that clears up the confusion on where exactly LED technology is at this point. PJ was nice enough to stop by and share some of his knowledge on the subject. Everyone always bitches about wanting pics of a documented LED grow and PJ has done quite a few. He is not trying to sell anything to anyone just letting us share in what he has learned on the subject. I could see if someone was spamming but that's not the case here. Dr your buds look great, nice job. I know first hand just how good a job a HPS does at turning out the big fat dense dank buds. Just asking we keep it civil and not lose a chance at having a thread with some good info in it. jmo

I agree and appreciate all productive input from both "sides"!

exaggerated claims like LED's need twice the veg length as HPS

While maybe not twice the time, I am betting there needs to be a longer veg time for LED's since you need a wider plant which would take some stressing which tends to lengthen veg time? I could be wrong and yes, most of us do stress our plants in some form or another anyway. A shorter, wider gal takes longer to bush out imhe...

Roddy said:
exaggerated claims like LED's need twice the veg length as HPS

While maybe not twice the time, I am betting there needs to be a longer veg time for LED's since you need a wider plant which would take some stressing which tends to lengthen veg time? I could be wrong and yes, most of us do stress our plants in some form or another anyway. A shorter, wider gal takes longer to bush out imhe...

I see no difference from T5 to LED other than LED's create a little tighter structure, but in terms of time, there's zero difference.

As far as width, it just depends on the strain you're running, but there is no need to do anything different than any other lighting. Creating shorter plants happens naturally.

It's a shame that when someone tries to inform other members or just other growers in general, the advances in LED techknowledgy....taking the plunge and purchasing the LEDs and then taking their time to share their results in real time so others may benefit, there are those that can't help but post in the threads, nonsense and misleading information. It's no wonder that the original poster drops the thread and moves on. It's the biggest reason why I don't post here very often any more. What's the sense in posting in a thread that is going to be muddled up with nonsense from individuals that don't have a clue what they are talking about and just want to rant. It's a shame that the mods don't do anything about it and, in fact, participate in the nonsense as well, at times.

I've had and been sitting on information for a few days because I just lost interest in posting here but will give it another shot. I believe any input to this thread should be from individuals that have had "actual experience" with LEDs and what they have to say may benefit others. Negative input from those that don't have any actual experience or knowledge on the subject need not post, as it just adds to the confusion of others that are looking for information.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, here is what has happened since last time I posted:

I had plans to disable a couple of the sections of my LED fixtures to lower the total wattage as my goal was to reduce costs but I had too, many projects going and didn't get to it. I've since noticed something that I should've picked up on earlier that has made me drop everything and get it done. The lights have a transformer for each pair and I disabled the middle pair of lights.

IMG_1075 (1024x683).jpg IMG_1076 (683x1024).jpg

I noticed during the switch from 1000w HPS to LEDs that the plants that were already in the flower room started bleaching. The real problem came from newly introduced plants from the veg room that were growing under T-5s. The first new plant (on left) had just been re-potted and in the flower room the leaves curled and dried up. I first thought it was because it had just been re-potted. The next plant (on right) to go in had been re-potted for 2-3 weeks before it went in but the same thing happened. It was then that I realized it was the intensity of the LEDs that was causing it. The bleaching should've given me a clue that this was going to happen but I guess I was just too, busy to put 2+2 together.

IMG_1081 (1024x683).jpg I couldn't get the second pic to load.

It looks as tho I may need to go back to HIDs for veg or get some vegging LEDs to replace the T-5s. I don't care much for the T-5s anyway as I always have plants in various stages in veg and the T-5 doesn't work well in that scenario. I may get 3 Apollo-4s to replace the T-5 and when/if I do I may re-enable the center lights. I'll wait and see how they do with just the four first, I am trying to save costs in the first place while being able to produce quality buds.

Stay tuned, if the bull can be kept to a minimum I'll continue to post my results.

Niteshift--why does the T5 not work well for you? I always have plants in different stages of growth and simply raise of lower the plants to keep an even canopy. I actually find it easier to raise and lower my plants than I do my lights.

What wattage are the Apollos you are contemplating buying? How many watts are you running with T5s now? Curious if you are going to be switching watt for watt?

This is what my veg tent running an HO T5 looks like. I have stuffed stacked all over to keep as even a canopy as I can.

20121027_133616.jpg20121027_133626.jpg20121027_133621.jpg20121027_133630.jpg

Still think the HO T5's were my best investment so far. jmo

P Jammers said:
I see no difference from T5 to LED other than LED's create a little tighter structure, but in terms of time, there's zero difference.

As far as width, it just depends on the strain you're running, but there is no need to do anything different than any other lighting. Creating shorter plants happens naturally.

I've grown several gals and not one has naturally made herself a bush.....

Roddy said:
I've grown several gals and not one has naturally made herself a bush.....

I have two doing it right now under HO T5's....I didn't doing any training to them. Just kept the T5's right on them.

Did you try backing the LED's off when first introducing the gals, Niteshift? Keep em a bit higher and slowly lower like some of us do with HPS?

Here is the Albert Walker and the Golden Goat. Both have been vegging under HO T5's in a 2x4x5 tent. GH 3 part and dolomite lime in the soil are the only nutrients I am using. The Goat is insanely wide now. A bush for sure.

20121027_140644.jpg20121027_140639.jpg
20121027_140654.jpg20121027_140650.jpg

I never came to this thread to start anything all i said is LED is weak many led users add hid in flowering phase , Yes they will grow but comparing the grow rates would be like comparing grow rate from a 250 watt hid to a 1000 watt hid

Everyone mentions led technology lets be honest here led has bin around allot longer then most may think
Nick Holonyak invented LED (light-emitting diode) light bulbs in 1962 when he worked for General Electric. The original model produced red light
So in 50 years there hasn't bin much leaps and bounds and pretty sure in the next 50 years there probably won't be either except price tags on them
compared to other sources of indoor grow lights.
Now with that being said YES i don't grow with LED but ??? just got off the phone with a friend that does he mentioned to me that many companies are over rating there products like saying there 190 watt UFO when in reality there only putting out 165 watts again makes me wonder what are we really buying here
which brings me to my conclusion if your happy growing with led paying for pricey products then all the power to you i personally will keep doing what i am doing and life will go on :)

Keep it green Cheeers doc

IMO that plant does not look to have a light burn, notice how low it goes down on the plant.
Looks more like a P deficency, yellowing from the outside edges in with leaf twist.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Niteshift--why does the T5 not work well for you? I always have plants in different stages of growth and simply raise of lower the plants to keep an even canopy. I actually find it easier to raise and lower my plants than I do my lights.

What wattage are the Apollos you are contemplating buying? How many watts are you running with T5s now? Curious if you are going to be switching watt for watt?

Hi HG, I always seem to have alot of projects going at the same time and want to get away from anything time coinsuming, like looking for something that will prop up my plants to even out the canopy. I didn't have to do it much with the MH because of it's penetrating power.

Leds, (some), also have penetrating power unlike some would want you to believe and I feel it would do the job. LED companys have been cheating customers so I understand where some believe the way they do but the lights I have will burn your plants if they are too close....and I mean less than 18 inches not like what you can get away with using T-5s. This even showed when I switched out my HSP for LEDs, the LEDs were bleaching the leaves 18 inches away and I had to pull them up for a while.

I have a 4 foot, 8 bulb T-5 at the moment. I'm thinking 2 Apollo 4s will relplace that and add another to fill out another corner. I will say about the Apollo is thier lights could be spaced further apart, probably 6 inches. Oh, I've changed my veg room for a 56" X 56" tent.

Roddy said:
Did you try backing the LED's off when first introducing the gals, Niteshift? Keep em a bit higher and slowly lower like some of us do with HPS?

Yeah, the lights next to it would be too close as well and I can't move a light away from other plants. I chose the LEDs with 120 degree lens so they spread over to the next plant and overlap the other light pattern.

DrFever said:
I never came to this thread to start anything all i said is LED is weak

Everyone mentions led technology lets be honest here led has bin around allot longer then most may think
Nick Holonyak invented LED (light-emitting diode) light bulbs in 1962 when he worked for General Electric. The original model produced red light
So in 50 years there hasn't bin much leaps and bounds and pretty sure in the next 50 years there probably won't be either except price tags on them
compared to other sources of indoor grow lights.
Now with that being said YES i don't grow with LED but ??? just got off the phone with a friend that does he mentioned to me that many companies are over rating there products like saying there 190 watt UFO when in reality there only putting out 165 watts again makes me wonder what are we really buying here
which brings me to my conclusion if your happy growing with led paying for pricey products then all the power to you i personally will keep doing what i am doing and life will go on :)

Keep it green Cheeers doc

Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back