dont mention LED's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Growdude said:
IMO that plant does not look to have a light burn, notice how low it goes down on the plant.
Looks more like a P deficency, yellowing from the outside edges in with leaf twist.

I know, the pic isn't the best but no, the damage is primarily limited to the top canopy, the leaves that have been shaded are not effected at all. I'll try and reload the second pic, the one that had benn re-potted for 2-3 weeks. I think it's a better shot and shows the undamaged leaves below the top canopy.

Nope sorry, I get a message that my limit has been reached in this forum for this file type.

Anyway, it is burn....remember, I got bleaching from them when switching out from the 1000w HPS. I'm not kiddin, these lights are powerfull. These plants are cuts of plants I have run at least 4-5 times and I have them dialed in. I have harvested one that has spent 3/4 of it's life under the LEDs and it came out better than any of it's previous run. It is most definately not a deficiency.

Untill LED Evolve to replace HPS or T5s,,I will stick to what gives me the biggest best buds for the money. That is T5 for vegg and HPS for flower. I would love to replace all this with LED when they are ready to replace the lumens per watt.
As soon as the price comes down I am gonna replace my CFL's (household) with LED's.

niteshft
Thanks for sharing Brother..
Yours looks Beautiful compaired to mine...

here is my summary i posted elsewhere... kind of a copy and paste...

Happy Halloween to you all...
Well today i went ahead and took the LED girl down... she looked rough,, very rough,, but she is very sticky.. Stickiest of the 3 i have harvested the last week...
This girl was a clone i took off #1.. she was even in flower when i took this cut that finished under the LED lights.
The LED's will be put up for winter tho, as i need the heat of the HID in the winter.
I had the light too close to this girl when i started out.. (thinking like T-5's) but that is not the case IMO with LED's.
So when i fire them back up next spring, i will indeed have the lights farther away from what ever i am flowering at the time.
Maybe after a few more trys with the LEDS i will find my groove for that kind of lighting.
will be interested in if the quality of the bud will be noticeable better or not?
wasn't much trim either.. only took me 1 1/2 hours for this girl today.
BTW, she was 1 day short of 10 weeks.. i had taken her Mom @ 12 weeks under the 600 HID..

Crazy horse  LED  10 27 001   S.jpg

Crazy horse  LED  10 27 002 S.jpg

Crazy horse  LED  10 27 003 S.jpg

Crazy horse  LED  10 27 004 S.jpg

You are not kidding when you say she looks rough. lol. She don't have to look like a Rock Star so long as she smokes like one. Enjoy the smoke.

Should have taken her a week ago Hammy, but was busy with the 1K girl, and then i had to harvest the outdoor girl before Sandy hits...
we have already been wet for a day now, didnt want to be trimming cold wet bud. SO i left the LED girl untill last..
I had the lights to close for sure, is just one of the mistakes i made...
have you seen my girls Hammy, they always look like Crap,, but once trimmed up, the bud always smokes good... :cool:

No,,she would look rough if she was bricked like that mexican crap. Looks nice to me.

Growdude said:
IMO that plant does not look to have a light burn, notice how low it goes down on the plant.
Looks more like a P deficency, yellowing from the outside edges in with leaf twist.
I would agree with that assessment. I also think that is why the plant burning is taking place.

NS, if you are using the same nutes you did b 4 you need to cut them back for sure. I would recommend you being at least 2 feet up from the plant minimum, or you will bleach them.

I also find the PH needs to be just a tad higher then what you had with HPS.

If you have a height limit, don't even consider running the LED veg lights. Plants will bleach out if you are any closer than 2 feet above.

For the question asked "how many watts are the Apollo 4's", they are rated at 134 watts, however produce the useable light of about a 300 watt HPS. Even with no heat they can fry some plants if you are not careful.

My MY, same thing. Back that food off bro. Cut close to 1/3rd from you old recipe with HPS and see if that does not get your plants looking a lot better.

Thanks PJ will do.
I have been running this girl at around 700-800 ppm..
The lights were way closer for 2 weeks then they should have been.
with HPS i ran her mom and sister from 750-1050 ppm...
Will do better next time i am sure.
I am still very happy with the densety of the buds..much tighter then T-5.
i would compare them to the hps light.
IMO, i got just as much, maybe more then if i grew this girl in the dirt..
(no offense to our dirt brothers and sisters)

Leds, (some), also have penetrating power unlike some would want you to believe

I'd have to read back but I think you'd be the first to say this (in this thread).

Yeah, the lights next to it would be too close as well and I can't move a light away from other plants. I chose the LEDs with 120 degree lens so they spread over to the next plant and overlap the other light pattern.

Could you make the canopy even and then bring the light to the plants?

Enough said.

No, I don't think so...are you gonna deny what most others here have admitted (LED's ARE weak). Admittedly, I have not used LED's, but I have read this whole thread a few times and believe weakness is why shorter plants are preferred? I base this on what I've read in this thread as I'm sure others who haven't used can? :)

my my said:
Should have taken her a week ago Hammy, but was busy with the 1K girl, and then i had to harvest the outdoor girl before Sandy hits...
we have already been wet for a day now, didnt want to be trimming cold wet bud. SO i left the LED girl untill last..
I had the lights to close for sure, is just one of the mistakes i made...
have you seen my girls Hammy, they always look like Crap,, but once trimmed up, the bud always smokes good... :cool:

Be safe, my friend, that storm is said to be a monster in the making!

Roddy said:
Admittedly, I have not used LED's, but I have read this whole thread a few times and believe weakness is why shorter plants are preferred?

Maybe you missed the part where I clearly stated that one can yield on a 2 foot plant what it takes plants under HPS to yield on a four foot plant?

Or maybe you missed that 3 foot plant that went 4 zips plus I posted last night?

Selective reading perhaps?

This place will never change. You ask for facts then ignore them.

You guys have fun.

My My, Niteshft, if you have any questions PM me. I'll be checking in from time to time like I always do for some comic relief.

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
You obviously didnt read the thread like you said... Nobody using LED has even mentioned running SOG style in this thread...? they are running plants... look at the pictures... read the posts....
niteshif said:
I'm going to have to work on changing my grow methods to SOG as I believe these lights will really shine with that method. (No pun intended) LOL
from http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=799540&postcount=139

I guess someone obviously didn't

pj said:

Or selective memory on your part:confused:

pj said:

TSB said:
I have a question. Do LED's have the same light penetration strength as HPS?

mymy said:

pj said:
Well here is a loaded question, yes?....A better question would be and what it boils down to is, can you get the same yield or better with LED's, and can the flavor and quality be improved.

The answer to that question is with out a doubt, yes....Easily.

mymy said:
PJ says that while quantity suffers, Quality goes up!

pj said:
If you used 1000 watts in HID, its the same wattage for LED's. The difference is about Half the cost to run them.

pj said:
What about the guy who runs a small tent who wants to grow a few plants? Does that thinking make any sense then?

pj said:
If you have a height limit, don't even consider running the LED veg lights. Plants will bleach out if you are any closer than 2 feet above.

pj said:
I will say that the days of a plant stretching are GONE.

niteshift said:
What's the sense in posting in a thread that is going to be muddled up with nonsense from individuals that don't have a clue what they are talking about and just want to rant.

I hear ya niteshift:)

P Jammers said:
Maybe you missed the part where I clearly stated that one can yield on a 2 foot plant what it takes plants under HPS to yield on a four foot plant?

Or maybe you missed that 3 foot plant that went 4 zips plus I posted last night?

You guys have fun.

My My, Niteshft, if you have any questions PM me. I'll be checking in from time to time like I always do for some comic relief.

Didn't miss any, I missed where anyone could explain that you could veg a gal to 2' and get a 4' yield, though....or at least any that really made sense. Nothing selective, just no info given to validate the experience. Yep, we want facts....backed up with proof....not just telling me it can happen and tell me a 2' will produce what a 4' will....without more training and work.

I'm no expert at growing, but my last 4' gal produced 6.5 "zips", the one before that was 6 "zips"....4 zips on a 3' isn't a big thing...to me? We're talking indoor here, I'm not mixing in the greenhouse gals.

Duck posted a bit of the "confusion" some of us seem to be seeing, talk about muddied.

Guys, don't go away mad, just stop trying to prove the lights and let the info do the talking. As I've said before, I am trying to find good info on these hoping tech will change...and it sounds like it is, really slowly.

You see, the thing is, threads like this promise the world and new growers might just see this as the way to go. Someone stated this lighting to be great for even newbies, then another stated the opposite when questioned on it. If I'm this confused, imagine what a newb grower must wonder. I praise all that take the bold step, but please, let the info do the talking.

P Jammers said:
I would agree with that assessment. I also think that is why the plant burning is taking place.

You surprise me PJ, I never thought you would be so bold as to make such a defining position on the basis of a picture and a bad one at that.

No, it is not a deficiency, if it were it would continue untill I made changes to fix it which I did not. The damage is in the upper canopy only, the lower leaves, having been shaded, are unaffected. If it was a deficiency it would eventually affect the whole plant. Also, the process has stopped now that the plant has gotten adjusted to the lights.

I guess my biggest question at this point is how can a light be too powerful to put down as close as an HPS (which I can keep 1'-18" away without burn) yet not have the throw to penetrate to the bottom of more than a 2' plant.

I'm a very busy person and have alot more on my plate than just growing my mmj. I can't take the time to go over these posts and try to correct misleading posts, most of which are deliberately taken out of context and done to start an argument, IMO.

I thought I would post my progress so everyone could see what is going on with the newer LEDs so others could make an informed decision. Unfortunately there are members that love to have a pissing contest and fill the thread with nothing but garbage and muddle the thread, making it useless, imo.

MP was the first mmj forum I belonged to and will it always have a place in my heart but I think it's time I finally move on from this thread. Post #293 is the straw that finally broke my back. That was a huge effort on pcduck's part, that has no value at all and I don't have the time or interest to waste it if I did.

I had migrated away from here for simular reasons but kept in touch in hopes that the site would mature but I guess that isn't going to happen any time soon. There are a lot of respectable and talented members here that I could still learn from and many friends that I will miss, so I will linger in the background and may occasionally post where I might be of assistance but this thread is done as far as I'm concerned.

MP was the first mmj forum I belonged to and will it always have a place in my heart but I think it's time I finally move on from this thread. Post #293 is the straw that finally broke my back.

IC....duck points out all the inconsistencies and you say you can't go around correcting all the misinformation....mostly coming from a few LED users....you say his post has no value (except it does point out all the crap we're trying to sift through to determine what the truth of these lights are) and it appears you're now gonna stop trying to give info, what you say this thread is for.

No, I imagine you won't go back and try to answer to duck's post, the info given there is all over and conflicting...and coming from you guys yourselves.

I thought I would post my progress so everyone could see what is going on with the newer LEDs so others could make an informed decision.

And as I've said a few times, much appreciated, but informed? With all the conflicting info, the opinions instead of facts and the prejudices from BOTH SIDES, how can you imagine anyone make any more an informed decision than before this thread? You guys aren't truly giving experiences, you're pumping up your opinions to make it sound better (IMHO). How about a side-by-side? Controlled grows set up to be the same except the lights in every aspect. I know, one won't tell much, so we need several grows to get real info. Sure, it'll take awhile and should be done by pro growers with nothing to gain from either side...just someone looking for fact.

Well here we go again:confused:

Members ask questions, and get muddled answers.

LED's growers are given the opportunity to inform the masses and instead of that they go into degrading our forum and leave.:confused2:

Niteshift at least someone read the thread and understood what was being said and seen the inconsistency of the posts and took the time to bring it to light. There are many more inconsistency's but I got tired of reading the drivel.

I just guess no led grower is willing to take the reins and lead us to the promise land of growing with leds. When the questions get tough they take off. I really thought this could be the time that we get straight answers, from some knowledgeable growers, but I was wrong, they also ran when the questions got tough. I should have just figured they would, since they all do;)

so lets ignore thousands of other threads and judge this place on a few that go wrong? this site is still one of the most mature sites on this subject on the net.
every place has its issues now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back