door problems help me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokeWithHope

24/7 toker
Reaction score
ok so i bought one of those cabinets at home depot for like 95 dollars only thing is to eliminate the gap inbetween the two doors it created a gap by where the dorr hinges are how should i go about sealing these off? weather stripping, duct tape? what i need something that is still functional so i can still open and close the doors lol thank you

but the crack is only 1/4 of an inch big. would weatherstripping fit in there. i mean im sure there are diff sizes but idk even know how to weatherstrip it what exactly do i do once i buy it?

Basically, weather stripping is a foam, or a rubberized-like-material, that has a sticky side, and a side that's meant to get bumped into by the door.

You might have to double up on the weather stripping (stick one layer down, and if there's still a crack, stick another ontop).

Buy the cheapo stuff, since this is just to stop airflow.

so i just stick it on thats it? and it wont stop the dorr from closing or anything? like u can see the weatherstripping when the door is closed correct?

There are different thicknesses of weather stripping at home depot just ask. I had some bubble wrap with aluminum foil on it for my walls until I got mylar and I had the same problem I use it until I could get the weather stripping. You could always change the hinges by drilling new holes and making the gap bigger to accommodate your weather stripping.

Theory: Buy the stripping take off the doors place the door over the stripping and see where the holes line up mark and put the hinges in there new holes. If they dont reach by longer hinges that do.

That weather striping comes in diffrent thickness too...I see where people use Black poly plastic. and cove the front of the cab...I dont have a cabnet for grow area but do use the weather strip to do the door...another thing I can sugesst is remove the doors and put velcro around the edges and but some bubble wrap insolation wrap at Home Depot and make a removable door...I did this in my flowr room...look in my "Fall Grow" it shows the flower room door..no light gets in or out..Good luck TokewithHope

you could just lay a couple layers of plastic trash bag inside and tape in place to seal the light leaks

I used mylar over the gap in my box, worked like a charm.

Weather stripping is best I used a lot ;) But make sure get the black one.......Its like insulation for widows and stuff so its foamy and sticky on one side get in rounds strips ;) Id send a link but not sure if allowed do that here :-| Its cheap and most home depo/hardware shops sell it ;)

Peace and enjoy dont get stuck up ;)

Haha Other sollution that I in fact use (Just remembered Duuu) is just nail up a dark sheet on the inside which covers the cracks ;)

TokeWithHope said:
ok so i bought one of those cabinets at home depot for like 95 dollars only thing is to eliminate the gap inbetween the two doors it created a gap by where the dorr hinges are how should i go about sealing these off? weather stripping, duct tape? what i need something that is still functional so i can still open and close the doors lol thank you

I'm curious - one of those plastic cabs like rubbermaid or similar? When I put the lights in mine, it glowed like an alien spacecraft = it didn't hold light even after spray painting...

Yeppers,
My grow box did the same thing, and since I am a big believer in keeping it simple I would recommend exactly what everyone here has said. Here is a little something for you. GREEN MOJO

GREEN MOJO 11.jpg

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

GREEN MOJO 11.jpg

no its a wooden cabinet one of the white ones. and im also going to line the inside with black and white poly. but i just got the weatherstripping today im actually working on the box as we speak. cept the damn box was gay they gave me like 1/16 of an inch cardboard for the back of the box so i bought and cut some 5/8 particle board im nailing it in the back of my box next im going to use the "foam tape" weatherstripping

lol true! haha ya got the weatherstripping in yesterday, and nailed in the back with a big sheet of 5/8 particle board. next im gonna caulk every thing, and i also have an odorless primer that also helps get rid of smell. should i primer first, or caulk first?

caulk, then paint...the weather stripping has been working in my cabinet for years...it will make the doors a bit tighter, but should work out fine...

Peace...j.b.

ya does it matter than after i put in the weatherstripping there is still a small gap between the stripping and the door?

double sided tape the fluffy one. only use one side. Thinner than weatherstripping.

TokeWithHope said:

look at this stuff. We use a smaller size on the edge of the doors where i work. It keeps the AC in and the bugs and light out. This is what i found doing a quick search but if you look at the strip you will get the idea.

http://www.memtechbrush.com/
:)
Light Elimination

Brush seals are so dense that when applied to a door, they completely block any light that would otherwise leak through. This brush seal is an excellent way to permanently block light from a photographic darkroom, or anywhere where light cannot be tolerated.

Latest posts

Back