Early Sexing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LassChance

Reaction score
I wrote this as a reply and it was suggested I post it as a thread starter, so here goes.

You can "early sex" your plants by selecting ONE branch on each one and tying a piece of thread around it so you can identify that one branch. Then make tubes out of construction paper or aluminum foil and slip one tube over each selected branch. Leave that tube on for 12 hours every 24 hours, giving that one branch a 12/12 light schedule.

In a couple of weeks that one branch will show it's gender without disturbing the vegitative light cycle of your plants.

I was asked if I had tried this. Yes, I did it successfully last year using the cardboard tubes from toilet paper rolls, LOL. I taped foil over on end of the tubes to make sure they let in no light.
The plants were about five, maybe six weeks old, as I recall, when I read this tip, so I went ahead and did it. Sure enough, in a couple of weeks little balls appeared on some of the plants.

Hope this helps somebody. Remember to tie a thread or something around your selected branch, so you'll know where to put your tube.

I heard this one a few years ago but i still have my doubts about it.

Obviously it works as in the selected branch wll show flowers be they male or female but to have 1 part of a plant essentially flowering and the rest in veg seems a little dodgey i certainly would never try it with my feminized seeds.

What way does it affect the plant by being in veg and flowering hormones coiursing through the system? to me it would i dont know perhaps confuse the plant a little.

Can any of you brainy types explain it

im sceptical on this..I am with GMT..how does the plant react to flower and veg at same time..and you say it takes a few weeks..heckk I take a clipping of a plant i wanna Know sex on and place that clipping in glass of water in 12/12 i know sex in a week..roots in a few weeks..Good luck to you..Take care and safe...

LassChance said:
Then make tubes out of construction paper or aluminum foil and ...

The only thing I would wrap aluminum foil around are my baked potatoes.

Aluminum foil is made to absorb heat and distribute is evenly.

But good luck I would like to see it done, so take pics if you do this.

I love the idea, I think it is great. I even suggested you make a thread to post it.
But I have to agree with GMT, that just sounds confusing. Confusion can lead to stress. We know what stress gets you.
Definately something to test out though.
Neat

Well it probably works :confused2: but the imbalance in the hormones carn't be good and as 4u pointed out its easier and by the sounds of it quicker and no doubt less stressful to take a cutting.

It may work but i dont think i'll be trying that lol but hey if it works it works fella.

Thanx for sharing :)

Newbud said:
Well it probably works :confused2: but the imbalance in the hormones carn't be good and as 4u pointed out its easier and by the sounds of it quicker and no doubt less stressful to take a cutting.

It may work but i dont think i'll be trying that lol but hey if it works it works fella.

Thanx for sharing :)

Now...we dont mind tieing them, bending them, topping and FIMing them, putting them under 18-24 hours of light,then switching them to 12...generally forcing them to do all manner of unnatural things...but a piece of thread and a toilet paper tube is undue stress and "confusion{? Okeydoke.... Ya just cant argue with logic like that.

Latest posts

Back