Earthorms`

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Effen Gee said:
Feed your earthworms dead bugs, or mix them in the soil. The resulting worm castings will render your plants BUG PROOF.
I've never heard that! Now that's cool as hell! When you say mix dead bugs in the soil, you mean in just the worm bed or do you mean in a plant container? If you mean in just the worm bed, is the other option of feeding them to your earthworms to just put them on top of the bed? I got a little confused with your wording. This is a brand-new idea for me. I've heard my whole life that earthworms are good for high nitrogen soil conditioning, but I've never heard the Bug Proofing thing. I'd like to read more on it. Do you have a reference I can go to for even more info?

In Northern California, there is a place in Durham that actually advertises Organic Worm Castings for Gardeners on TV. Everytime the husband sees that commercial he wants to head down there with the truck.
Dont forget that moles and gophers eat worms.

I cannot remember how to spell it but here goes:

Earthworms that ingest insect matter create an enzyme called kieten*. This enzyme breaks down the hard carapice of insects for digestion. Humand cannot detect the enzyme. Plants "smell like" kieten, insects wont EVER go near your plants. The enzyme is delivered to the castings via a mucus membrane that is left on the casting during excretion.

* I really wish I remembered how to correctly spell it.
I have no sources as this information was given to me as a gift from a friend who had already done the testing, research...20 years ago...

The Effen Gee said:
Earthworms that ingest insect matter create an enzyme called kieten*. This enzyme breaks down the hard carapice of insects for digestion. Humand cannot detect the enzyme. Plants "smell like" kieten, insects wont EVER go near your plants. The enzyme is delivered to the castings via a mucus membrane that is left on the casting during excretion.
Man, you were in the right neighborhood...I'm a researcher and you gave me enough to find the rest.

Here it is:

Chitinases are digestive enzymes that break down glycosidic bonds in chitin. Chitin is a tough horny material, (a nitrogenous polysaccharide), which forms the exoskeleton of an insect.

From Donald W. Trotter, Ph.D., Chitinase is a degrading enzyme that eats the material chitin. Here is the fun part.pest insects are made of chitin. Chitinase is formed by several types of microorganisms that are found in the gut of the humble earthworm.

Chitinase producing organisms are theorized to be taken up by plant roots in the water they utilize and are then moved throughout the plant via vascular tissue.

This translocation results in chitinase being distributed into the leaves and other parts of the plant.

When a pest insect such as an aphid, mealybug, whitefly, or any other plant-feeding insect begins taking juices from a plant with chitinase in it they find out the hard way what chitin degrading means.

The chitinase works to dissolve the insect's stomach lining thus disabling the pest.

It dies from the fact that its insides are being slowly dissolved.

There can be no more effective way to control pest insects on plant that this method because insect pests cannot change what material makes up their bodies.

It's very difficult in nature to develop resistance to things that eat you.

Also:

By Authors: Sinha R.K.; Herat S.; Agarwal S.; Asadi R.; Carretero E.

Source: The Environmentalist, Volume 22, Number 3, September 2002 , pp. 261-268(8)

The practice of vermiculture is at least a century old but it is now being revived worldwide with diverse ecological objectives such as waste management, soil detoxification and regeneration and sustainable agriculture.

Earthworms act in the soil as aerators, grinders, crushers, chemical degraders and biological stimulators. They secrete enzymes, proteases, lipases, amylases, cellulases and chitinases which bring about rapid biochemical conversion of the cellulosic and the proteinaceous materials in the variety of organic wastes which originate from homes, gardens, dairies and farms.

The process is odour free because earthworms release coelomic fluids in the decaying waste biomass which has anti-bacterial properties which kills pathogens.

Earthworm action was shown to enhance natural biodegradation and decomposition of wastes (60–80 percent under optimum conditions), thus significantly reducing the composting time by several weeks. Within 5 to 6 weeks, 95–100 percent degradation of all cellulosic materials was achieved. Even hard fruit and egg shells and bones can be degraded, although these may take longer.

And last, but not least:

From: "What Are Worm Castings and Why Are They Beneficial?" by George Hahn

Testing has shown that several microorganisms found in worm castings work as effective repellants for a large array of insects. A key element for insect repellency is the level of chitinase-producing organisms.

Chitinase is an enzyme that will dissolve chitin. The exoskeleton of bugs is made of chitin [so obviously they don't want to hang out where their skeletons will get dissolved!].

Bugs have various detection mechanisms to determine the level of chitinase in plants and soil. Once the chitinase level is high enough, they will leave the area. Worm castings test with a very high level of chitinase-producing organisms.

Also, some elements in worm castings are able to activate the chitinase-producing organisms found inside plants. Once triggered, these organisms multiply to a level that can be detected by the insects.

The repellency effectiveness has been tested and confirmed for white fly, aphids, spider mites and various other bugs.

King Bud said:
The Effen Gee said:
I recommend if using coco to only add castings as a top dress, do not mix. Soil, go crazy.
Why? :confused2:
I'm guessing here; coco is very porous. If you were to mix the castings into a mostly coco mix, the castings would go right to the bottom and not have as much effect as they would if spread into the mass better. Across the top, they'll be leached into the root mass in a more beneficial manner. In soil, the retention of the castings would be much better. (Pure unadulterated guessing from me)

Something I'm sure "The Effen Gee" meant to tell you is that your worm castings should not be exposed to strong sunlight as they full of beneficial microscopic organisms. Always try to cover the castings with mulch or something to block the sun from harming the BMO's if possible.

There are actually two. One in Durham (just East of Durham on Pentz-Durham hwy) and one just North past the Pentz-Durham hwy up hwy 99 on Neal Rd (about half way to Chico). The one in Durham is very close to the exotic farm. If you go, check it out. They have lions, tigers, leopards etc. Pretty neat.
I have a friend in Durham who set up a compst box with a lid and put NO worms in it. We checked it out last weekend and it was absolutely full of red worms. Somehow, they found a way in on their own.

tcbud said:
In Northern California, there is a place in Durham that actually advertises Organic Worm Castings for Gardeners on TV. Everytime the husband sees that commercial he wants to head down there with the truck.
Dont forget that moles and gophers eat worms.

POTUS said:
Also, some elements in worm castings are able to activate the chitinase-producing organisms found inside plants. Once triggered, these organisms multiply to a level that can be detected by the insects.

The repellency effectiveness has been tested and confirmed for white fly, aphids, spider mites and various other bugs.

Ok, so the million dollar question is......

Where can I find a bottle of these elements to add to my feeding schedule???

Basically, you have to feed bugs to worms.

It was recommended to me to ad dead crickets to my worm bed.
I have settled for Ancient Earth (N) Bat Guano, as it consists of mostly half digested insect carapice...exactly what you need to get the chitin in the worms digestive tracts, then transfers the enzyme to the castings via a mucus membrane...or ****-lube.

Gross huh?

Sounds like a win-win. Just a little surprized no enterprising individual has fugured out a way to collect, concentrate and make a product available to the commercial market. Bet it would go like hell:hubba: I know I would give it a go.

Edit: I meant in a pellet, powder or fluid concentrate.. I realize you can get it in a 20% wormcasting mix... But in what kind of dose I wonder? Thanks for the brilliant info effen.

This information was a gift, given to me by the man who figured this whole thing out...

Use with care.

Chitinases are digestive enzymes that break down glycosidic bonds in chitin. Chitin is a tough horny material, (a nitrogenous polysaccharide), which forms the exoskeleton of an insect.

wOw!... A fantastic tidbit of information!! thanks... I hope you guys ain't......"chitin"...me.. HA! :p

See as how I an starting a worm bed, I went to the bait shop yesterday, pick up a gross of crickets. to add the worm bed. The shop owner said he would keep all his dead bugs for me aslong as I bring him tomatos and a mess of green bean.

? does any one know how long to wait before harvesting worm casting?
? will useing these worm castings work in folier spraying?

ozzydiodude said:
See as how I an starting a worm bed, I went to the bait shop yesterday, pick up a gross of crickets. to add the worm bed. The shop owner said he would keep all his dead bugs for me aslong as I bring him tomatos and a mess of green bean.

? does any one know how long to wait before harvesting worm casting?
? will useing these worm castings work in folier spraying?

Let me answer your last Q first: No. Do not foliar spray worm castings tea!

Now, Harvesting. You will see a buildup of black curly q's, after a few weeks. These are the worm castings. Either you can scoop it out completely, and amend your soil, or you can do what we did...

Use a 1/4 in galvanized screen, as a sifting mesh. Works great for getting the good stuff, and even better for keeping the worms seprate and you can throw them back in your bin. do not use a shovel, use either a pitch fork or your mitts (hands).

Replenish the soil with clean dirt, and horse manuer. Especially if the diet consists of alfalfa flakes. This will give the worms some food, plus alfalfa containd hormones that improve taste, yield and general well bieng of your plants.

Seriously, I used to help my dad sift worm bins all day.

We were the first to name it "Black Gold".
Trust me, we were so far ahead of the game back in the day...wish we would have stuck with it. Now everyone knows worm casting are among the best soil amendments ever.

15 years ago...nobody had a clue...

Latest posts

Back