move from pod question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decayer

Reaction score
hello friends. i have a strange question. i have a good strike rate germinating seeds. same for putting them in peat pods. but once the seedlings need moving to pots, i am only batting 50/50. any thoughts on first transplant to a pot (of soil) would be much appreciated.

well, that helps. thanks for that.
Well it could have if you would have answered him
not sure what you could be doing wrong to get that success rate.

For me ill drop the peat pod in a solo type cup and once its ready to transplant just push it out from the bottom, usually just looks like a root ball.
Make a hole in the soil of the big pot and drop it in and mound soil around it and then water.
Should be all good once the solo cup it a root ball.

For me ill drop the peat pod in a solo type cup and once its ready to transplant just push it out from the bottom, usually just looks like a root ball.
Make a hole in the soil of the big pot and drop it in and mound soil around it and then water.
answered? there wasn't even a question. but thanks for googling "what utterly useless info can i post here" for me.

That is what I do also, I hate peat pots and always lost plants in them, I do solo reds , but if you need to get some rapid rooters if you need to germ in pods.

I have a bag of these I use for my veggie seeds and weed seed germination.

Screenshot_20231230-150946.png

I used to use those for clones, but never ever for seeds.... myself, I don't understand why you would want to limit the travel of the tap root early on.. germinate your seed in water, then damp paper towels until you have at least a 1" tail exposed.. plant into 1gal pot, water. 2-3wks, up pot depending on growth rate...

and this question wasn't asked, but your obviously struggling. I've never lost a plant up potting, EVER.

I think you should get away from the peat pellets and go directly into 1gal pots ok.. end of your troubles

One year out door I was having them come up and not keep going. Towards the end of the getting them out period, I pealed the bottom and sides off and pitched the peat pot and just planted the ball that was left. If I remember right them were the only ones that made it.

hello friends. i have a strange question. i have a good strike rate germinating seeds. same for putting them in peat pods. but once the seedlings need moving to pots, i am only batting 50/50. any thoughts on first transplant to a pot (of soil) would be much appreciated.
I love peat pods for germination. The moment I see the tap root exit the bottom of the pod, I plant the pod in a 10 gallon pot filled with Stonington Blend Grower's Mix. This is a very hot soil with runoff containing 5K+ PPM. It takes 2 to 3 days for the seedling to make its connections and then they just take off with truly amazing growth. I never understood why folks use Solo cups...let the tap root do its thing in its forever home. That's my suggestion.

I start in plugs and move them to quart pots for awhile before moving them to their home.

I do not like pucks or pods for seeds. I use cell pots, thoroughly soak the soil, stir it all up to make sure no dry or compacted pockets, lightly plant seed 1/4inch under the top of the soil. They can stay in the cell pot for 3 weeks and won't need any water for the first 5 days once they break the surface. This method completely removes that first seedling transplant and with losing half your seeds, something is definitely up.

If you explain what you were doing with your transplant, maybe more insight can be offered.

I am like a hydro geek but seeds is the only place where i use soil. I sterilize and wash the soil then place it in an incubator with a light and some air exchange while providing the right temp. Only when i am sure that the conditions in the incubator are right will i place the seed there. I might do a few hours soak in water first. Something about soil, at least the one i have, it just germinates better than anything i tried. I rarely lose a seed this way.

Latest posts

Back