Electric Bill Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeffca, there can be no way one 600 is spiking your bill that much even if you run it 24/7
I pay around $250 a month and I run 4K watts with all the fans and stuff. I am about an hour from you in SF.

But, if your landlord is hip to whats going on, then don't rock the boat. BUT, living in SF, you have more rights then not to grow your own. It will all depend on how you and your landlord get along man. Tell him to pay the bill and you will kick him a couple of zips when it's done.

mistisrising said:
I found this formula recently, I don't remember where...

watts used (including all the gadgetry) times hours used, times the rate per kwh (watch now, the rate will vary depending on peak or off peak usage) divided by 1000. So, watts x hours x price, then divide by 1000, and viola. You may have to break it down separately since the fan may be running 24 hrs, but the lights only run 12, or 18.
I plug it in,.....it tells me.

hehe

I like that.

I don't hate math, but why use it if you have a gadget that will do it faster and more reliably then a human?

Plus, they have every type of calculator anyone can think of on the net now, so it's really easy to find it if you search a little.

Goggle whatever your favorite type of calculation subject you can think of; Carpenter calc, Concrete calc, scientific calc, distance calc, ratio calcs for money, measurement, you name it. Just try to NOT find a calculator page for something. I've found some pretty cool ones.

It's cool that you included actual mathematics that will accomplish the task as well. There are a lot of people out there now who can't use math hardly at all.

The *concepts* of mathematics is much more important than being able to use a pencil to calculate something. If nothing else, learn math as far as you can using a calculator of any kind, just know how to arrange the input of the numbers to cause the correct answer to show. If you can do that, then you are doing lots of mathematical thinking. Knowing that an equation exists is what really matters then. That's why I like to cruise the net for equations for anything. You wouldn't believe the things I've found. Very cool.

One of my favorite subjects.....ok, I'll quit now.......hehe

I ordered a watt meter a couple of days ago. Unfortunately I couldn't get the "Kill A Watt Meter" It seems to be only available in 110V ... not much use to me here in Ireland.

Found an alternative on ebay delivered to the door for €20. I'll give a report when it arrives.

Runbyhemp said:
I ordered a watt meter a couple of days ago. Unfortunately I couldn't get the "Kill A Watt Meter" It seems to be only available in 110V ... not much use to me here in Ireland.

Found an alternative on ebay delivered to the door for €20. I'll give a report when it arrives.
Very cool. Being a US user, I hadn't thought of other versions. Good luck man. If it does what mine does, it's a cool tool.

i gotta tell ya man, it's about .08 cents an hour average to run 600 watts. add the fans etc. about .10 cents an hour. while your light is running, add .10 cents an hour and there you have it, cost per day times 30 days. during 18/6 about $54. a month. during 12/12 only $30.
good luck man.

Maybe you could do some things to lower the overall electricity use in your house like switch all the lights to CFL's, do not leave the TV on unless you watch it, turn everything off that you are not using, and resort to candles if you have to. I pay a lot for electricity in a city loft as it is, so I made a lot of sacrifices and use energy conservation. I turn the AC off at night and if I do go to sleep I shut all the windows, then run oscillating fans.

Something is not right here...

My electricity is fairly inexpensive, running between .0577 to .0655 per kilowatt hr. My electricity bill runs around $200-225 a month in the winter (1/2 that in the summer). Here is what that $200 does: runs 2 1500W (space) heaters, a 4500W water heater, all the normal household appliances including a dryer and a freezer, and 2 grow rooms. The flowering room has a 1000W HPS, 3-4 fans, and a 1000W heater for when the light is off. The vegging room has a 4 tube 4' T5 with one fan that runs 24/7. I do try to do things that save electricity when I can, such as using cfls for household lighting and generally trying not to waste any--like turn things off if you are not using them.

It seems that your landlord wants to subsidize his own electricity bill with your money. You have to decide if it is worth it. It is always scary to pss someone off if they know you are growing...

The Hemp Goddess said:
Something is not right here...

My electricity is fairly inexpensive, running between .0577 to .0655 per kilowatt hr. My electricity bill runs around $200-225 a month in the winter (1/2 that in the summer). Here is what that $200 does: runs 2 1500W (space) heaters, a 4500W water heater, all the normal household appliances including a dryer and a freezer, and 2 grow rooms. The flowering room has a 1000W HPS, 3-4 fans, and a 1000W heater for when the light is off. The vegging room has a 4 tube 4' T5 with one fan that runs 24/7. I do try to do things that save electricity when I can, such as using cfls for household lighting and generally trying not to waste any--like turn things off if you are not using them.

It seems that your landlord wants to subsidize his own electricity bill with your money. You have to decide if it is worth it. It is always scary to pss someone off if they know you are growing...

Did you say that's expensive. I pay almost .16 a kwh. So, depending on what company you have, it might be right on target. Still according to my rate, it's a little high.

Also five or six cents might be your main charge, but on my bill there are charges for generation, delivery, and some other crap that adds up to sixteen cents. My buddy in the next state over just had his electric bill skyrocket when the state hold on the rates expired. And, he still doesn't pay what I do. He's around fourteen cents a kwh.

Edit: I just saw that you said inexpensive. Wow, been a while since I had the bong out.

mistisrising said:
Did you say that's expensive. I pay almost .16 a kwh. So, depending on what company you have, it might be right on target. Still according to my rate, it's a little high.

Also five or six cents might be your main charge, but on my bill there are charges for generation, delivery, and some other crap that adds up to sixteen cents. My buddy in the next state over just had his electric bill skyrocket when the state hold on the rates expired. And, he still doesn't pay what I do. He's around fourteen cents a kwh.

Edit: I just saw that you said inexpensive. Wow, been a while since I had the bong out.

Yeah, my electricity is fairly inexpensive, mostly hydro generated. The add-ons add less than .01 per kilowatt to my bill. I still think that Jeffca is being ripped off by his landlord--$200 for a 600W is just outrageous, I don't care where you live.

Latest posts

Back