Electric bill: Sticker shock. !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPuffAlot

Green thumb in training
Reaction score
As some of you know.. I started my grow at the beginning of July.
using a Digital 600W light kit. NE ways.. I started with 18/6 for a week
then switched to 24/0 lighting.

Our electric bill after our Electric company price hike was about 300dollars.

My wife gets our July electric bill, and boy did she catch a FIT.
Its $450 dollars for the month of July.

Electric bill used to hover around $200 a month, then the price hike
sent it to 300 and some change. With the GROW.. its bumped to
like $450. Considering my wife pays the electric (1 of a few).
She was HOT. To cool her down, i told her i would pay half.

And I reminded her again, how much $$$ we would save once I get
done growing. Paying $350-$450 a oz for KINE adds up quick.

NE ways.. Im paying .113160000 per Kwh.

How much are you paying and where are you located.
Our tax money help build the Power companies,
IMO should still be regulated. We consumers are getting HOSED.

EEK!!!

I know our bill always goes up this time of year due to running the AC. Could that also be contributing to your increase?

You're right. It's almost criminal how much they charge us for our electricity. I am not really sure how much we pay per kwh, I'll have to get back to you on that.

Things that helps my bill out greatly...
1. keep the AC filter swapped out regularly.
2. Pig tail CFL's instead of regular incadescents. I just get the low watt ones. More bucks than incadescent but they pay for themselves in a month.
3. Make sure all your windows and stuff is weather tight. New weatherstrip at the doors and stuff.
4. Hang dry clothes (I still use the dryer for certain things)
5. Don't use the heat dry for the dishwasher. you'd be suprised how fast the meter spins when that element is on.
I found I save on average over $100 a month just by doing those things.

haha i work for an electric company, and from what we were told by a couple of the big power house electric companies(no pun intended) the price is only hovering at its current price for maybe another year. we expect to have a price increase of $0.02 on average depending on your location. doesnt seem much but it adds up. oh and in 5 years we're hoping on having an average price of $0.16kwh for the nation. although it might change depending on your states Public Utilities Commission. just thought i would fill you guys in

AHHH the enemy posts. :p
just kidding man...thanks for the heads up.

Mutt said:
AHHH the enemy posts. :p
just kidding man...thanks for the heads up.

no problem. you would think maybe i would get a discount on my electric bill, but i dont. these companies are really raking in the dough. if anyone ever has the chance of picking up stock in an electric company, DO IT! you will not regret it.

MrPuffAlot said:
My wife gets our July electric bill, and boy did she catch a FIT.
Its $450 dollars for the month of July.

holy sheep poo poo :eek:

man that would be the end of my grow right there if my miss's got an electric bill like that

avg 140 a month or so with 2k of hps and 10k AC unit

know what you mean explain'n how much cheaper it is to grow tho.... been there a few times ;) ;)

I BBQ about every night as well as hang cloths to dry like mutt :p lots of things can be done to compensate for your grow power usage

good luck with next months bill

HGB

$460.00 a month, well maybe not anymore. But that was even on a monthly payment plan. Without the plan it was around $700.00-$800.00. Hmmm....maybe thats why we got shut down.:confused2:

Hey how about it,
My electric bill was like the national war debt. Untill I got smart about it. You gotta do like Mutt and the others say, you got to find ways to keep the expenses down to within reasonable madness.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Mr. Puffalot....

Looks like momma just might have you keeping those things in the back yard......:angrywife:

Get with Smokin Mom - She's likely to toss a few pointers on the back yard grow.:)

Yup, mom grows in her backyard. Pretty nifty. i'd go chill with them all the time!

I grow outside, so i don't have to worry about that. The electric runs about 200 dollars on average. Sometimes it runs up to 240. I change the filters once every month - two months and i use the "three month" filters.

A/c can run up a big ol' bill. I was actually looking into solar panels at one point to put on the top of the house to help keep the bill down some. it'd be a project and an expensive one at that, but wouldn't be half bad i suppose. Worth the trouble of you're really out to save some money.

There are like they have said many ways you can do to help lower your bill. Even look into CFL's for your non growing purposes. Help the environment, AND your bill! :p they last so much longer, they're efficient and not as bad for the world! haha.

If you still insist on drying your clothes, at least dry them at night if you have an A/C running. I've always heard it heats up the house quite a bit fromt he drier running so having it on during the day keeps the A/C running a lot more.

~burn One~
Dewayne

you think thats alot..

my store electric bill during the summer is $2500ish..

Now that really hurts my rectum.

A friend of mine found a way to run a gas generator to only one bedroom of her house. Of course, she owns 80 acres and is off of the road quite a bit. You have to have privacy to run a gas generator... it's stinky and loud!

She says her average electric bill went from $2500 (6 bedroom house and a barn) to $2350. Might not seem like much in big numbers, but believe me it makes a difference to her!

~Metalchick

I'm averaging aroung $225/month. In e few weeks my veg room will be turned off though so that should help considerably.

Latest posts

Back