electrical question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been looking on line at the split breakers---can't seem to find what i am looking for---do they make a 30/20 or 20/20 breaker that will only take one spot on the bus

Yes there are split breakers for 20amp. I just looked at Lowes and saw several 20amp "tandem" breakers that should work. You just have to match up yer box manufacturer with what they have at the store. I would suspect any of the hardware stores would have them, if yu don't have a Lowes near you:)

Depending how old your house is, may depend on how easy it will be to find the correct "tandem" breaker. Most can still be bought, but some are a little more rare to find, like if its an old federal panel.
If you have any questions when doing it, feel free to ask. Its not rocket science, but like was said already, electrical mistakes arent very forgiving.

ok---it is a GE panel with 12 seats on the bus---they are all full---would like to find a tandem---30/20 that fits---figure since i am running the wire anyway---gotta make room for the bubbler, fans, a/c, clone matt, tunes, vacume, whatever---house was built in the 50's---there is a tandem 15/20 in there now from cutler hammer---anyway---GE panel cat # TRM1210MFR2---this is nowhere to be found

Those are common, cutler hammer can be bought at all the chain stores. If you're set on getting a 30A, you can eliminate 2 singles and replace it with a quad 20/30/20, which would get you a new 240v 30A. Or just replace 2 singles with 2 20/20 tandems. Not sure what all your load would be running everything at once. Easiest way to tell what you're pulling before adding anything would be to get a multimeter and turn everything on and see what the total would be. I bet two new 20A 120V circuits will be enough. That is all depending on how strong all your equipment is.

just looking for a tandem 20/20 to fit in the same seat on the bus as the single pole 20 sits now---not finding what i am looking for

upload a pic of your panel with the cover off. Cutler hammer has different styles in the way that they attach. They make what you need, just need to figure out which design.

panel 001.jpg panel 002.jpg

if you notice the this is a GE panel---there is a tandem 20/15 by hammer---i am hoping to find another tandem 20/30 that will only take one spot on the bus---it seems inevitable that i need to run another line---may as well get the most from it

You need to take that cover off to be able to tell which style breaker it is. Cutler Hammer makes them that fit in the GE panel, (obviously, you already have 2 in there).
A 20/30 tandem isn't made. Or atleast I have never seen one. Without getting to detailed into it, a 30A 120V circuit is not a common thing. If you're just thinking higher amperage to run more stuff, just replace 2 single pole 20A breakers with tandem 20/20's, and run 2 new circuits into your room.
Easiest way to be sure you buy the correct fitting breaker will be to pull out one and take it to the store with you.

Yep yep, Ston has it exactly right there. they don't make a 20/30 tandem, only 20/20. But like he said, just replace 2 of the regulars with the tandems and run 2 lines. figure up yer current draw for everything and divide it between the 2 lines. yer talkin about 40 amps supply with the 2 20amp circuits. that should be more than enough unless yu are wanting to run several 1Kwatt lights with multiple pumps n fans. If yu can't find the breakers locally, try ordering them from Home depot or Lowes online.

you guys rock---i like the idea of 2 more tandams a 20/20 and a 15/20---so that's where i go next---i find it strange that i cannot find out if they even make the 20/20 to fit this panel on line even with the model # panel in hand as listed above

I guarantee they make 20/20's. I bet if you just take one of your breakers out, and take it with you to home depot they will have what you need. If not, (the employees there might not know either, haha) I'd say go to a smaller hardware store with knowledgeable employees and they would be able to order it, if not have it also. Don't know your location, but OSH and ACE hardware here carry a wide variety of random breakers to fit older model panels. Hope that helps :aok:

anybody ready to humor me with another stupid electrical question---running a sub panel---too many twists to get the wire back to the main without a j box---am i gonna lose any amps/watts by using 1 j box for 6/3 w/ ground romex run from the sub to the main---hit on this blueberry while you think about it:48:

Latest posts

Back