Enhance THC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How safe is u.v. light?Maby if you turn it off b4 you enter?I googled this and on wikipedia it states"While "black lights" do produce light in the UV range, their spectrum is confined to the longwave UVA region. Unlike UVB and UVC, which are responsible for the direct DNA damage that leads to skin cancer, black light is limited to lower energy, longer waves and does not cause sunburn. However, UVA is capable of causing damage to collagen fibers and destroying vitamin A in skin."
UVC rays are the highest energy, most dangerous type of ultraviolet light. Little attention has been given to UVC rays in the past since they are filtered out by the atmosphere. However, their use in equipment such as pond sterilization units may pose an exposure risk, if the lamp is switched on outside of its enclosed pond sterilization unit.

Cannabiscotti said:
with about two weeks before harvest i start flushing with water. with one week left, i add some simple sugars to the mix. roughly 4 days before harvest i then change from 12-12 to 2 on 10 off for a 24 hr period. then 84 hours of complete darkness just before harvest. 80 hours in with about 4 hours left before harvest, i enter the room with a green light to see so it does not effect the light cycle. i then proceed to sprinkle roughly 4-5 grams of hash on each plant.

I really cant tell if your joking on this one. But to say the least your wasting your hash. Thats just gonna fall off or get chopped off when you harvest your plant. :confused: :confused: :confused:

DirtySouth said:
How safe is u.v. light?Maby if you turn it off b4 you enter?I googled this and on wikipedia it states"While "black lights" do produce light in the UV range, their spectrum is confined to the longwave UVA region. Unlike UVB and UVC, which are responsible for the direct DNA damage that leads to skin cancer, black light is limited to lower energy, longer waves and does not cause sunburn. However, UVA is capable of causing damage to collagen fibers and destroying vitamin A in skin."
UVC rays are the highest energy, most dangerous type of ultraviolet light. Little attention has been given to UVC rays in the past since they are filtered out by the atmosphere. However, their use in equipment such as pond sterilization units may pose an exposure risk, if the lamp is switched on outside of its enclosed pond sterilization unit.

Walk outside and stand in the sun. Thats how dangerous UV light is. Just dont look into the sun, Dont look into any UV light. Over time over exposure can lead to serious issues. So turning it off before entering could only help.

yea-its a lil tough to tell sarcasm over the internet. but basically my point--if your not happy with the THC content, get a new strain! no matter what you do, it's only as good as it's genetics

There is no need for tricks or odd ways to try to make things better. All you have to do is grow right. Germ right, Use good soil, water with the right nutes lights and right size containers. Grow it right, cure it right and you will have maximum potency. If thats not good enough make hash and then you pretty much have gone as far as you can unless you go for making the famous %96THC Budder.

That stress and puncturing stuff is also in Jorge Cervantes book on growing.

For UV. I have seen results from a person testing LED UV lighting that was getting better results with than without.
Dont have to use a black light to get UV. Can get the leds thats only use is UV lighting. I figure, they dont make them for nothing.

Also found this once. Kind of interesting if true.
"DID YOU KNOW?
WILD STRAINS OF CANNABIS MAY REACH THC LEVELS OF 50%. HOWEVER, CULTIVATED CANNABIS HAS ONLY REACHED ABOUT 30%. THEREFORE, WE ARE DESPERATELY SEARCHING FOR THE SUPER BUDS. RUMOR HAS IT, CANNABIS HAS GOTTEN MORE POTENT SINCE THE 70's. PLEASE SHOW ME THIS 37.2% SUPER BUD AND SEND ME THE LAB REPORT. I WILL SEND YOU FIVE OF THE BEST GROW BOOKS I'VE READ. PUT YOUR MOST POTENT STRAINS HERE. I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW WHO HAS THE MOST POTENT BUDS ON EARTH. IF YOU CAN FIND IT SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN EARTH, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I HAVE TO CHECK THE RULE BOOK. HOPE YOU HAVE FUN, SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE SHOW.
THE WIZ"

SPEARCHUCKER said:
WILD STRAINS OF CANNABIS MAY REACH THC LEVELS OF 50%. HOWEVER, CULTIVATED CANNABIS HAS ONLY REACHED ABOUT 30%. THEREFORE, WE ARE DESPERATELY SEARCHING FOR THE SUPER BUDS.

I don't believe it will be possible for a strain of cannabis to EVER reach 50% THC content, it is just beyond the capabilities of the plant IMO. I do understand that over time pot has become more and more potent, but there are limits. You are still dealing with a PLANT that must grow and survive. To do this there must be literally dozens of different chemicals, carbs, sugars, etc in the plant. These can only be brought so low. Heck, even trichomes must GROW on a PLANT structure, such as leaves or buds. I don't see how you get a THC level to 50%, the plant would be literally HALF THC...I just don't think it is possible. HAHA, the trichs would look like crack rocks!

His comments don't really make sense. If you are capable of finding a pot plant growing wild that is a 50% THC content, then why is it not possible to cultivate that plant? If there was a strain of MJ growing wild somewhere on this planet at 50% THC, some seedbank SOMEWHERE would be selling the seeds, and filling a swimming pool with $100's because they would put all other seed banks out of business. Even that government facility at U of Miss (I think?????) in the US that has been growing and testing MJ potency for decades has only seen a little in the 30% arena.
Just my opinion, don't get me wrong, I would like to see pot that was 100% THC, you plant a seed and one giant trichome grows out of the soil, you just break a chunk off and smoke it when you want a buzz :)

it can be possable. an they have a pretty good idea of where to find it, the congo or amazion rain forests. thats super inriched soil. i get the point of MJ being done in soil or hydro is not getting nuits from the ground we are adding them. an hydro only proves the point more. what we add are close to what is in the ground but it will never ever be the same. just don't work that way. trees don't grow 100's of feet tall for no reason, its the ground. even if u had a contaner the same size as what a say 100 foot trees routs take up, it will never grow as big an lush as the one planted in the ground. plants where not made to begrown hydro or in soil pots. we have addaptied ways to mimic them to grow like this but we can never do as good as the good old ground it self.

hXXp://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany4.html
and a cpl of interesting quotes from...

Environmental conditions influence cannabinoid biosynthesis by modifying enzymatic systems and the resultant potency of Cannabis. High altitude environments are often more arid and exposed to more intense sunlight than lower environments. Recent studies by Mobarak et al. (1978) of Cannabis grown in Afghanistan at 1,300 meters (4,350 feet) elevation show that significantly more propyl cannabinoids are formed than the respective pentyl homo-logs. Other strains from this area of Asia have also exhibited the presence of propyl cannabinoids, but it cannot be discounted that altitude might influence which path of cannabinoid biosynthesis is favored. Aridity favors resin production and total cannabinoid production; however, it is unknown whether arid conditions promote THC production specifically. It is suspected that increased ultraviolet radiation might affect cannabinoid production directly. Ultra-violet light participates in the biosynthesis of THC acids from CBD acids, the conversion of CBC acids to CCY acids, and the conversion of CBD acids to CBS acids. However, it is unknown whether increased ultraviolet light might shift cannabinoid synthesis from pentyl to propyl pathways or influence the production of THC acid or CBC acid instead of CBD acid............Returning to the more orthodox version of the cannabinoid biosynthesis, the role of ultraviolet light should be reemphasized. It seems apparent that ultraviolet light, normally supplied in abundance by sunlight, takes part in the conversion of CBD acid to THC acids. Therefore, the lack *Carlton Thrner 1979: personal communication. of ultraviolet light in indoor growing situations could account for the limited psychoactivity of Cannabis grown under artificial lights.

Many factors influence the production of THC. In general, the older a plant, the greater its potential to produce THC. This is true, however, only if the plant remains healthy and vigorous, THC production requires the proper quantity and quality of light. It seems that none of the biosynthetic processes operate efficiently when low light conditions prevent proper photosynthesis. Research has shown (Valle et al. 1978) that twice as much THC is produced under a 12-hour photoperiod than under a 10-hour photoperiod..............There is really no confirmed method of forcing increased THC production. Many techniques have developed through misinterpretations of ancient tradition. ...............In general, it is considered most important that the plant be healthy for it to produce high THC levels. The genotype of the plant, a result of seed selection, is the primary factor which determines the THC levels. After that, the provision of adequate organic nutrients, water, sunlight, fresh air, growing space, and time for maturation seems to be the key to producing high-THC Cannabis in all circumstances.Stress resulting from inadequacies in the environment limits the true expression of phenotype and cannabinoid potential. Cannabis finds a normal adaptive defense in the production of THC laden resins, and it seems logical that a healthy plant is best able to raise this defense. Forcing plants to produce is a perverse ideal and alien to the principles of organic agriculture. Plants are not machines that can be worked faster and harder to produce more. The life processes of the plant rely on delicate natural balances aimed at the ultimate survival of the plant until it reproduces. The most a Cannabis cultivator or researcher can expect to do is provide all the requisites for healthy growth and guide the plant until it matures.

DirtySouth said:
Yo DirtySouth...

dirtyOLsouth here... UV light is NOT safe! :eek: It's the rays that burn your skin out in the sun. Using UV lighting is potentially very harmful to your skin and eyes if you don't respect the dangers and protect yourself. Long sleeves, gloves, and UV blocking sunglasses should be used near any possible exposure. Best plan if using UVB lighting is to have control over the fixture outside of the grow room to turn it off before entering the room.

Imho... Using UV lighting is an esoteric area of growing that the dangers should be fully understood before messing with. It's more for the experienced grower that has all of his ducks in a row in their growroom. Here is the warning that came with my UVB bulbs:

If you guys dont know about the differnt light cycles for flowering if you stick to the 12/12 you are in the stone age. Half way thru flower I start to drop 15 minutes of light a day this will exspress differnt pheons come on guys I thought you people new how to grow:eek: . I will stop at 10 1/2 hours of light never go lower it's goes by what region your plant came from. Find your plants origin and latitude and study the hours of darkness hint hint. :holysheep: I thought all growers or most did this. This was big news a few years ago.

The og post is how to get more T.H.C. stressing your plant so the whole thing is to get more T.H.C. right 11/13 get's more T.H.C. AMEN LET'S REJOICE with the herb the lord gave us HUh GOOD GOD!

Dirty is so true and some M P members have alot to learn:hubba:
JBonez said:
Posting a reply in the wrong thread..... priceless.

Um.. ill have what you're smoking please sir..:D

i keed, i keed
Caretaker
Rx THC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth
I've grown "bubba" at a strait 12/12 the whole way through.The next grow(clones from bubba) switched to 11 on 13 off(while flushin), I believe the yeild of the (clones) was a smidgen lighter,EVERYTHING was covered in crystals(even fan leaves),what I lost in weight,made up 4 it with hash.Since then its been 11/13 4 the last 10-14 dayz

Sorry man but what does this have to do with this subject?

BOYSENBERRY said:
If you guys dont know about the differnt light cycles for flowering if you stick to the 12/12 you are in the stone age. Half way thru flower I start to drop 15 minutes of light a day this will exspress differnt pheons come on guys I thought you people new how to grow:eek: . I will stop at 10 1/2 hours of light never go lower it's goes by what region your plant came from. Find your plants origin and latitude and study the hours of darkness hint hint. :holysheep: I thought all growers or most did this. This was big news a few years ago.

EZ Boysenberry... some of us are sensitive and we might make syrup out of you! :p Fred Flintstone here... I've been growing on and off for 15 years and recently got back into cultivating our beloved ganja after a four year hiatus... I guess I feel like I missed the memo... I've always done things with fire and rock... 12/12... so I'm all ears to check this photoperiod reduction technique out. The whole reason I come to these forums is to hear what the latest techniques are from the perspective of personal experience... Currently I'm on Day 17 of flower with some Afghani girls... Do you start reducing the day by 15 min on Day 29? What date of your reference latitude do you use to determine the minimum length of day you hold your flowering photoperiod after reducing it 15 minutes per day...? I'm thinking there are a couple theories to arrive at this...

The first method to find out a target daylength for holding your photoperiod would be to find out Afghan's daylength on Dec 21 - the winter equinox. It has a sunrise at 6:56 a.m. and a sunset at 4:47 p.m. for a total of 9 hours 51 minutes. I could pick a day mid flower... Day 29 on an 8 week bloom, start backing off on daylight 15 minutes per day until I arrive at 9 hours 52 minutes and keep it there til the end of the grow.

Or... Another method would be to determine what date the daylength is 12/12 in Afghanistan and use that as a reference starting point. The date the daylength is 12/12 is Sept.27th... then going ahead 8 weeks for the end of the strain's flower period which is Nov 21st. and sunrise is at 6:32 a.m., sunset at 4:46 p.m... A total daylength of about 10 hours 15 minutes... Using this method we arrive at a slightly longer period than method #1... AND it arrives at where you hold your photoperiod at...

So... is it suggested to start reducing by 15 minutes at day 29?

Peace!:cool:

Sooo the documented study(quoted from r c clarkes "Marijuana Botany" ) that shows "nearlly twice as much thc is produced under 12 hours of light, as under 10"... is just wrong... because "you say so"...??? Admittedly, the study is 'dated', but "I" have yet to hear or see, anything contrary in any study or tests conducted in any scientific setting. .
:confused2:
I think I resent that attitude...:ignore:
Your opinion, makes me "in the stone age".. Please, supply us with something...anything showing a semblance of proof. That 10 hours is more beneficial to thc production. ..OR.. for the plant in ANY form for that matter. THC is NOT produced during the dark cycle.
Outdoor plants do not flower on a 12/12 schedule, only equatorial sativas begin their flowering under 12/12. ALL other strains flower weeks prior to 12/12 being reached in nature. i.e. "longer light hours"...

OH... and btw.. "dirtysouth".. and Dirtyosouth".. you guys did that just to confuse me, huh?.. :rofl:

I was agreeing with you not putting you down like others were I was backing up your facts ok syrup nah plant fertilize you can say it's organic
dirtyolsouth said:
EZ Boysenberry... some of us are sensitive and we might make syrup out of you! :p Fred Flintstone here... I've been growing on and off for 15 years and recently got back into cultivating our beloved ganja after a four year hiatus... I guess I feel like I missed the memo... I've always done things with fire and rock... 12/12... so I'm all ears to check this photoperiod reduction technique out. The whole reason I come to these forums is to hear what the latest techniques are from the perspective of personal experience... Currently I'm on Day 17 of flower with some Afghani girls... Do you start reducing the day by 15 min on Day 29? What date of your reference latitude do you use to determine the minimum length of day you hold your flowering photoperiod after reducing it 15 minutes per day...? I'm thinking there are a couple theories to arrive at this...

The first method to find out a target daylength for holding your photoperiod would be to find out Afghan's daylength on Dec 21 - the winter equinox. It has a sunrise at 6:56 a.m. and a sunset at 4:47 p.m. for a total of 9 hours 51 minutes. I could pick a day mid flower... Day 29 on an 8 week bloom, start backing off on daylight 15 minutes per day until I arrive at 9 hours 52 minutes and keep it there til the end of the grow.

Or... Another method would be to determine what date the daylength is 12/12 in Afghanistan and use that as a reference starting point. The date the daylength is 12/12 is Sept.27th... then going ahead 8 weeks for the end of the strain's flower period which is Nov 21st. and sunrise is at 6:32 a.m., sunset at 4:46 p.m... A total daylength of about 10 hours 15 minutes... Using this method we arrive at a slightly longer period than method #1... AND it arrives at where you hold your photoperiod at...

So... is it suggested to start reducing by 15 minutes at day 29?

Peace!:cool:

After many years of first-hand experience breeding marijuana indoors as well as outdoors, I am of the opinion that the two most influential factors involving phenotypic variation and expression among current indoor herb breeding projects are the photoperiod (hours of light per day) and the angle of light in relationship to the growing plant.Specifically, I find the single most powerful influence to the Indica dominant phenotype is the traditional 18/6 veggie cycle and 12/12 flowering cycle. The 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flower cycle is an attempt, however poor, to mimic the Indica-producing photoperiod. It is my belief that this light cycle strongly influences for Indica phenotypic expression.

Sativa phenotype characteristics will manifest under a more equatorial photoperiod, closer to a 13/11 veggie cycle and an 11/13 flower cycle. This is the light timing range to use to elicit more Sativa dominant expression from your plants.

As for the exact photoperiod formula that I incorporate into my growing/breeding regime, this will presently remain a trade secret. My advice is to experiment with different photoperiods, keep good notes and pay attention. Avoid the 18/6 and 12/12 photoperiods, while tweaking the times a bit differently with each breeding cycle until more desirable results in the finished product and their offspring are noted. Here is a hint: work in half-hour increments or a little less.

DirtySouth said:
Some people just can't accept changes....................

just "SHOW" me something.. resembling proof.. it shoudn't be 'that' difficult. If in fact it is true. I can accept change, but refuse to accept unsubstantiated opinions..;)

You asked for proof and I posted it and the you erased it well you asked for proof I gave it too ya
Hick said:
just "SHOW" me something.. resembling proof.. it shoudn't be 'that' difficult. If in fact it is true. I can accept change, but refuse to accept unsubstantiated opinions..;)

I absolutely agree with you on the light manipulation and phenotypical expression. BUT.. is that the subject in question?..or was it "thc production" under a lesser number of light hours?
I'm not being argumentative about you manipulation of light for finding the cycle that benefits pheno expression. And in a breedng prgram, I would believe it beneficial for sorting out your desired characteristics.

..the pictures are not on our server.. the information you posted was not your composition, I've read it before. In fact, it may be included in the breeding information here if I'm not mistaken. Isn't it a dj short article?
all we ask is to credit the author, or the source when c/ping excessive amount of text/information. And to post pictures useing our service..

edit: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28830
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28831
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36819
I thought it was here..;) the same c/p that you posted and "I erased"..
see there... we really aren't still draggin our knuckles in the dirt here.. :p

Latest posts

Back