Expert advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forget

Reaction score
I have 2 strains going, not ure what they are.

Both in week 6.5 of flower under 400HPS, Mimie is about 5ft tall, June is 6 or so. Mimie buds are plenty and smelly and ripe with white cystals (trichs), they are cloudy mostly some clear to cloudy, none amber using a 30X jewelrs loop.

Advice: I have NOTHING to smoke but resin these past few days and its killing me, I am inclined to chop a cola from Mimie but not June bcs she is behind mimie by a week or so in the flowering process alhtough they started at the same time. Do you think me chopping down a cola is BAD? i dont want to destroy my crop but I need to smoke also... PLEASE, any suggestions?

Hmmmm.. I don't thik anyone has ever trimmed a "sample" bud, from a side branch, quick dried it either below 100F in the oven, or placed near a fan, or in a food deydrator, or micro-waved :)eek:) before it was ripe... ;)...:p

^..that was sarcasm, forget. If "I" were setting on plants "that" close to finish. I certainly wouldn't be scraping resin.. just "my" opinion.. ;)

Nothing stopping you taking a sample, it just means your final harvest will be minus 1 bud, but....that bud would have been 3 times it size if you had left it on the plant, you can take 30% off the plant with minimal disruption to its flowering, the only problem I can see is....once you have taken 1 bud, you will go back for more, waiting till the plants get mature is all part of becoming an experienced MJ grower, patience is a virtue!

thanks gang, you rock.

let me ask this: should i cut a full cola or just a bud or two?

It has probably 6 solid colas.

The higher up the bud is, the more trich it will have on it, its your call.

HippyInEngland said:
The higher up the bud is, the more trich it will have on it, its your call.

thanks hippy. so just chop off a nice trichd out bud and leave the rest of the cola amputated?

Hick said:
Hmmmm.. I don't thik anyone has ever trimmed a "sample" bud, from a side branch, quick dried it either below 100F in the oven, or placed near a fan, or in a food deydrator, or micro-waved :)eek:) before it was ripe... ;)...:p

^..that was sarcasm, forget. If "I" were setting on plants "that" close to finish. I certainly wouldn't be scraping resin.. just "my" opinion.. ;)

Hick your a legend in my book, thanks.

How do you know when they are dry? think 100F oven is best?

forget said:
Hick your a legend in my book, thanks.

How do you know when they are dry? think 100F oven is best?
.. I've used the oven, but prefer a dehydrator in times of need. I realize that you are anxious, in a rush, but you don't want to burn up the "good stuff" drieing them. Take it as slow as your patience will allow ;)

"Hick your a legend in my book, thanks." ... "WHAT" is this all about??. I think you're the second member to make a similar remark this week. I'm just a grouchy old guy growing a few meds. I've never accomplished or done anything to merit "legendary" status...
I've never developedd a strain, grew a huge crop, invented a technique, or made any ground breaking discoveries :). I've read/researched a great deal and applied what I have learned along the way. ...Nothing to it...

IMO, if you choose to dry in an oven, keeping the temp at 100F is next to impossible. Most BAKE settings only go as low as 170, WARM is between 130-170. Remember what your read out tells you, and what your oven really is; are two different numbers. Ovens are always hotter than the read out. I don't want you to burn your buds man, hope this culinary advice helps.

sweet thanks. i chopped a bud about 3 inches long on top of a cola and the rest is there amputated... fell so guilty!LOL

Right now its in a glass jar with a fan directly over it. ill give ita few hours and see how it goes...

You can also use dry ice to speed dry (and of all the speed dry methods, this one does the least amount of damage to the trichs). Just put equal amounts of dry ice and bud in a plastic bag, place in the freezer. When the dry ice is gone, your bud will be dry and smokeable.

Or place the bud in a paper bag and put it on top of the VCR, TV, Computer or something else that is a little warm. It'll be dry in 24 hrs or less.

Or place in the oven for 15-30 minutes at 125f. Just don't let it get above 200f or the trichs will be damaged.

(Not that I've ever had to resort to any of the above methods since I have tremendous restraint and self control and always wait until my crop is mature before I harvest.... ;) )

Rehab is for Quitters said:
You can also use dry ice to speed dry (and of all the speed dry methods, this one does the least amount of damage to the trichs). Just put equal amounts of dry ice and bud in a plastic bag, place in the freezer. When the dry ice is gone, your bud will be dry and smokeable.

Or place the bud in a paper bag and put it on top of the VCR, TV, Computer or something else that is a little warm. It'll be dry in 24 hrs or less.

Or place in the oven for 15-30 minutes at 125f. Just don't let it get above 200f or the trichs will be damaged.

(Not that I've ever had to resort to any of the above methods since I have tremendous restraint and self control and always wait until my crop is mature before I harvest.... ;) )

awesome dude, just got back from a bike ride and ill try your oven method and report back.

BTW, rehab is sure for quitters, just kill em parasites.:holysheep:

I cut my plant when it was in flowering to for a sample and she jus crocked over all bad will not do again:shocked: :hairpull: :headbang: :confused2:

MARY-JANE said:
I cut my plant when it was in flowering to for a sample and she jus crocked over all bad will not do again:shocked: :hairpull: :headbang: :confused2:

damn! how much did you cut?

MARY-JANE said:
just a lil all strains r diffrent so b carefull.

Do you know what strain you are growing?

I always chop a little to sample it and have never had a problem....no matter which strain I'm growing. Not sure why yours keeled over...

I've never experienced that problem before either. How much did you chop off? I would just let the buds dry for a day or two near a fan and it should be good to go. Just depends on how large the bud is. Make sure to give us a smoke report. Take care and be safe.

thanks all. just toked half a bud (3bowls, back-to-back, told you i was itching to toke). Put in the oven for approx 30mins at 170F, i left oven door open and put a fan sitting on the door fanning toward bud.

Smoke report is solid, VERY wet but nonetheless it was smokeable, im drying the rest of the bud now for a better sample later. thx all for advice.

microwave my friend, a microwave.

20sec at a time

Latest posts

Back