First Grow (26 days into veg)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phonytoast

Reaction score
Attempt Number 1

Type: Unknown Bag Seed
Location: Closet (to be relocated to new closet 1 week from this post)
Total: At present 8, Started 11 (some not pictured camera battery died)
Soil: Cheap Miracle grow timed release stuff (Planning a transplant and flush next week when I move to bigger containers and change closets then I will change to an different soil)
Water: Whatever is onsale
Lighting: 2 75 Cfl Grow lights and 1 125 Watt Full Spectrum daylight cfl from Hydrofarms. (I will be adding 1 more during veg and switching out for 3 125 watt warm ones when I got into flowering).

So I have been collecting seeds for a while and now that I am at about 50 something seeds I decided to germinate just a few and see what would happen. So far the only problem I experianced in the begining was streching because I was using a flouro house light and a cheap flouro tube used for under cabinet lighting. Here are some pics of where I am now. I did this on a whim so some are paired in the same container but like I said I am transplanting soon. After I do the transplant I will also bury a few of them that streched a bit deeper.

DSCF0698.jpg

DSCF0699.jpg

DSCF0701.jpg

Hello Phonytoast :)

Good looking plants you have, I can see by the talk that growing is not new to you, you title this 'First grow', have you experienced grows before but this is your first personal grow?

Welcome to the forum :)

GL phony green mojo your way LOOK LIKE YOU HAVE ENOUGH ;)

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Phonytoast :)

Good looking plants you have, I can see by the talk that growing is not new to you, you title this 'First grow', have you experienced grows before but this is your first personal grow?

Welcome to the forum :)

Nope first grow ever for me, I have read alot on these forums and done various searches on google for information during the germination processes. Other than that just getting advice from friends who did it in the past.

Thanks for the warm welcome btw.

hey phoneytoast, your plants look good n green... can yoou post the address to the hydrofarms where you bought that light??? thanks

Those look healthy and happy. I'm sure the new set-up will be a treat for them and they'll reward you kindly.toaster0371.jpg

ms4ms said:
hey phoneytoast, your plants look good n green... can yoou post the address to the hydrofarms where you bought that light??? thanks

I bought the light from a hydroponics store near my house and I dont have 15 posts to post a link but I googled the light type and there are alot of places that cell them here is the specs of the light in question and the socket I got for it.

I picked up the

Order #FLC125D
Hydrofarm 125W
Daylight 6400K
Compact Fluorescent
Replacement Bulb

and

Order #CS53521
Hydrofarm
Compact Fluorescent
Cord Set with Socket

I will be adding another one of those bulbs in about 2 weeks when they fill out a bit more. When I go into flowering I am going to get 3 of the 125watt warm ones for flowering and use them for 12 off and 12 on. I am hoping the additional heat and light output should give me something decent to harvest. I would go with a HPS or MH but heat in the new area is a concern and we arent trying to drill holes so it will have to be make shift all the way.

The current plan is to make small CO2 bottles using yeast and crystal gyser bottles with a ballon and all that. Then alternate 5 bottles of frozen water 2 times a day into the air keeping it moist then a fan that will blow air to circulate the moisture and CO2 keeping the air fresh so I dont have to open the door often to the closet and it should keep the temp at the levels needed. Inculded are also a couple of pics of the current setup I took today with side notes. btw the pic should say 8,500 per square ft not inch.

DSCF0708.JPG

DSCF0709.JPG

Finally got the new setup in so here are the new pics from yesterday. This is right after the transplant and move to the new closet. I also transfered them to foxfire organic soil.

4 large 3 gallon pots
2 4ft tall 3 feet wide bookcases
2 75 watt efficent using 17watts power grow lights from wallmart
1 8,500 luminess 125 watt flouro grow light 6500k (Nov 1st 2nd one will be added)
Mylar all around the book cases (I am going to get a top using the mylar as well for partial coverge as I raise the light but when they get to the hieght I desire I will get a reflector).
1 large cup of ice rotated every hour to keep moisture in the air
1 small fan blowing at the light and over the plants for stem strength and to keep heat above the plants but not take the chance of burning them directly.
(too be added 10-24) Humidifier

I have the 2 grow lights in each corner as you can see by the oversight pic. I took these pics yesterday and today each plant has stood back up apparently keeping the miracle grow soil and mixing it with the foxfire didnt shock the plants too bad as I am seeing new growth and the majority of leaves turned back up towards the light today. SO here are pics of the new setup. Since the last pics I have chosen some plants that just wouldnt make it, they werent unhealthy but I didnt have the space and didnt want to modify the setup for my first grow.

10-22-08_1710.jpg

10-22-08_1656.jpg

10-22-08_1657.jpg

10-22-08_1658.jpg

10-22-08_1659.jpg

10-22-08_1700.jpg

Do you have any budget at all? If so, I recommend buying any form of HID lighting, as CFL's just aren't cut out to flower some dense hard high yeilding buds.

DomsChron said:
Do you have any budget at all? If so, I recommend buying any form of HID lighting, as CFL's just aren't cut out to flower some dense hard high yeilding buds.

Yea the budget right now is just tight with moving and all however I do plan on upgrading later depending on the results, to see how well I do with CFL's. My plan now is too clone off which ever dont go male on me and try under CFL's first with an idea that I have and if that doesnt put out as planned I will go to an HID or HPS or something like that. In 2 days I will send a pic of how they are doing now. They are much bigger now I will put up some pics wensday at 7 days from transplant.

Well is been a while and here is an update.

Out of the original like 13 I went down to 5 when I moved which was the last update.

After the 5 I am now down to 2. I had 2 that went male and 1 that died. Of the 2 I have there have been some trials and tribulations but I am now in about my 4th week of flowering going into week 5. I had some problems along the way as one of my plants was starved for water for a bit and the leaves curled up but it seems to be ok now even though the leaves stayed curled.

I am still using the last setup I posted with just the CFL's listed.

This is just one plant in the pics I will post some of the other one later.

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

man that plant doesn't look happy.. what have you been feedin it, how much and how often?

Wrong lighting I suggest you get some 2700k 23 watt lights and you get a premium 00-30-20 bloom nutes

Latest posts

Back