First grow!! Check me out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmeraldBlitz

Reaction score
Ok well today is the day. I started germinating 5 seeds, all Endless Sky. Bought from DrGreenThumb.com. Well while I am waiting for the little seedys I am building a 4x2x6 grow box. I bought a 400 watt mh/hps lamp but I think with the deminsions I have that getting light to cover the entire area will be a little hard. So because of that I might just go with floros. But not only for the spread of light but as well for the distance I can keep them from the plants. I want them to branch out as much as possible before I get any real hight in. I have 5 5 gal buckets and a soil mix I got from the forums here. I have a medium/large ocsilating fan that im gonna put in there for air circulation as well a 2 350 cfm in line fans with some diy carbon filters for ventilation. As for the walls im using 1mil reflective mylar.

Well from here im pretty much learning and may need to change the setup as well as add ne wthings to make it balanced. Well I welcom any and all comments ad suggestions and will make sure to post pics of the plants a sprouting.

Thanks for your time guys.
EB

hey congratulations for your first steps towards self-sufficiency. i'm still working on my first grow under sub-optimal conditions, but it's turning out all right.

if you're shooting for bushiness, you might want to check out low-stress training.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2715&highlight=Low+stress+training

there's another thread around here with an interesting theory of spiraling the plant around the pot to produce as many colas as possible and to keep height down...but i don't know where it is :p

good luck!

Well it sounds like your off to a nice start. I myself would use the HPS/MH as long as you can keep it cool. You will see alot better results IMHO. Here is some GREEN MOJO for your babies. Good luck on your grow. ;)

GreenMojo.JPG

is that square foot or metre,if feet then 400 mh/hps is spot on for watts per sq ft,if metre then ya got a PROBLEMO,400wattdivide by total sq foot
(?wx?L)=watts sq ft.above 30 alrite for veg,you need around 50 for flowering,some have over 100 for flower but ya gotta have a lot of cooling for the area,you do the maths, mind boggling.

Its a total 8 sq feet. I got the size that my research said would work best. Eventually though I would like to add another 400 watt and run both hps and mh all the time.

then all u have to worry bout is ventilation of the heat,cool tubes,air con,cool fan?,air circulation is what gets most growers have a good air flow and you shouldnt have any probs,

Well at the moment I dont have a cool tube for my lamp but will get one when its an option. So far I have spent a pretty penny getting this going and still have a lot to do. But I did buy 2 in line fans and until I get a cool tube it will be used just to help vent air inside but when i do i'll hook it up to just vent the cool tube.

Soon after this I am gonna gut out a freezer and use it for a veg room and use this set up for flowering. Also I want to get a cloner going so if I get a good female I'll keep her as a nice little mommy. I am also interested in other strains that have potentail to be very potent. Any suggestions for any strains to try out and links to seed banks?

cool tubes r a have if you ask me,totally b/s,air circulation is what counts,expel the old air and youll be ok with an oscalating fan as well to move the air around in your room,ive only grown w/w,skunk1,jack herer being the most skankiest indoors.if ya got the 150 inline fans then that should be quite adaquite.

Well I have 2 350 cfm fans so I figure that after I have the second one cooling the lampand with the slow ness the filter creates that it will still be way more then adequate enough to do i.ts job

All sounds good EB, but a pic is worth a thousand words ;)

Well I am still putting the grow box together and I have to wait for some of the ordered parts but I will have a picture up of the grow box as soon as its built and as I get each new item put into it. But yea I figure you don't wanna see ungerminated seeds but I can take a picture of them if you want.

But its nice to know that so many people are around, barely had this thread going a few hours and have a lot of good input and people that seem experienced.

Insane are there any tips or anything you can give me? I have seen some of your posts around these forums and you seem well experienced in what you do.

EB

Well if you have an HPS lamp already my advice would be to stick with that and adjust your ventilation accordingly, to keep your temp around 75-85 degrees F.

A major point for new growers to keep in mind, is that if anything, MJ likes a drier climate. In my grows I would water my plants generously once every 3-4 days. Generously means basically have water coming out of the bottom of the pots and use the "knuckle rule", which is stick your finger into the soil up to your first knuckle, and when that is dry, and I mean dry, then it's time to water the plant(s).

I'll keep an eye on your grow and give ya any other advice that comes to mind. Good luck and most of all, be patient and let nature take it's course! :)

Yea I got a temp/rh monitor. I need to see how everything runs when its all together and hopefully I wont need a de/humidifier or anything. But the temp in my house is around 73 degrees +/- 2. So hopefully with the amount of airflow i have in there it will stay cool enough.

me last post on another thread,newbys need to judge waterings,basically get a pot just like ya growing in,let it dry out,so when watering ya plants, you can pick them up an judge the weight,soon youll be able to just judge by feel an looks,as for the knuckle method plants under direct lite,the tops will be dryer than the outside pots, but only on the top inch,so try an judge thm by weight,only takes a second to pick em up an put em back down ,my 2cents any way!youll be a master in no time.

Thats a good idea with the pots. Who knows if all 5 seeds don't germinate then I will have at least one extra to do that with. I also heard that if u wait while it is dry there will be a growth spurt then u can water, and that u can gain size a little faster that way. Have u guys any idea about that?

ah no,basically,if theres tooo much water the roots wont grow as much to seek water,so you need to dry it a little for the opposite to occur,as generally the bigger the root system the bigger the plant.

Actually too much water=root rot, and root rot=dead plants..

As I said in a previous post, mj prefers to be drier rather than wetter. Over watering is a big problem for most new growers, so be patient with your watering cycles, let the soil dry out before each watering. Whether you use the knuckle method, a moisture sensor, doesn't matter, they work.

I honestly don't agree with the weight method of watering the plants, I don't like the idea of constantly fumbling around with the plants, simply because there are easier, and just as effective ways to gauge the level of moisture in the soil.

obviously your never tried it then,true it could be time consuming,and basically theres no effective way,its a good way of starting out to see the difference in watering methods used as youll click on pretty fast as some plants grow faster than others needing more water,so how do you tell ,what if ya gadgets stuff up,then what,if ya know the feel of the weight of ya bucket from the stage of growth ,just how much water you need to feed.then youll know,try it youll be amazed.

Latest posts

Back