First grow for a newby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my new light shade, dual spectrum 600 watt HPS bulb, Dual ballast and Im off and running. Man does that baby pump out more light than the 250 watt CFL, and hot. I have a large fan blowing over the ballast and the light.

Im thinking I will fit a small fan on the light as this ***** is going to sizzle.

The plants are cranking along, I hope they dont have a hissy fit with the light in town.

Yes, I take crap photos.

P8150239.JPG

P8150240.JPG

P8150241.JPG

Hello and congrats on the light upgrade, You are definitely going to have to run a stationary fan across your light. I run a 8 inch fan on our 600. If you still have too much heat running a fan you might want to consider a light defuser. Heat Stopper brand is I think is the best on the market. Best of luck and nice job so far!

When I bought it online, I thought the salesmen meant the ballast gets dam hot, I didn't relies the light is the main heat source. Im going to buy a smallish fan just for the light. Should I face this fan towards the light, like underneath or on top?

you want to exhaust the heat so pointed at bulb toward air exhaust point shoudl be also up high

Hello again Stufart , Here is a picture of how my fan is hung in the ceiling of my Bloom tent. I use a wing mounted stationary and let the Orca grow film do the rest. Since your using a hood just make sure the fan is low enough below the hood to get some up in it! I run my fan constantly. Hope this has helped some. Keep up the great work on your project.

View attachment 207825

Im going to move this show out into my large shed, indoors is making me nervous, heat wise anyway. Nothing much to burn down in a steel shed, plenty inside the house though.

Stufart said:
Im going to move this show out into my large shed, indoors is making me nervous, heat wise anyway. Nothing much to burn down in a steel shed, plenty inside the house though.

Hope you get things sorted out. That metal shed is going to retain a lot of heat.

outside = other issues even in a shed and metal and elc usually a nono ;) not saying it has not or will not be done

If you can't cool things down enough that you are not worried about fire, you are not going to be able to cool them down enough to grow. I have been growing under large HID lights since 1998 without even one single "scary" moment. You are simply going to have to set up an adequate ventilation.

I think growing in a shed in the summer without some kind of A/c may be almost impossible.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you can't cool things down enough that you are not worried about fire, you are not going to be able to cool them down enough to grow. I have been growing under large HID lights since 1998 without even one single "scary" moment. You are simply going to have to set up an adequate ventilation.

I think growing in a shed in the summer without some kind of A/c may be almost impossible.

Thank You for the perfect words!

We are coming out of winter here so the temp is just nice. I have a fan going and the ventilation is fine, its quite cool in the shed. I check on them twice a day and all is going well.

Ok I went out and checked on them and I noticed the top leaves seem a bit crusty to the touch and yellow. Im assuming they are burnt from the light. I had the light around 18 inches above, its now around 2.4ft above the tops of the plants. I have an oscillating fan going which seems to be keeping the light fairly cool, cooler than with out it. Please help, any advice and I will go set it up, buy or do back flips, I dont want to kill this babies.

P8170251.JPG

P8170254.JPG

P8170263.JPG

P8170255.JPG

P8170257.JPG

You need to lower your plants. Put them on the floor for now. They are too small for that much light. Let them stretch for the light. Once a little bigger they will be able grow closer to the light. Plus make sure your power is well grounded in that steel shed.

I lifted the light a fair bit higher just a short time ago. Plenty of safety on the electrical side. They have taken off since going under the new light.

Hello Mr StuFart I like how you got a 600w. big crop. also big heat you should look into an air fan ducting may be a carbon filter for the smell. I was reading this is you fisrt grow . good luck

what feeding schedule are you running now my friend, looking much better now green mojo straight at ya and your ladies

Its all organic such as worm piss, worm castings, fish emulsion, bit of old chicken crap and black strap molasses. All have been aged. I dont give them this all the time, maybe every second or third watering and even then, its very diluted. I did notice once under that light, they soil drys out in no time flat, so I gave them one good drink, a real soaking t
hen a top up every second day, they seem to be liking it.

I walked out into the shed the other day with the door closed, holy crap was ti hot. I left the door open around half way which kept the place heaps cooler. The door stays open now and the plants are looking good. .

Latest posts

Back