First grow for a newby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more on vermiculite and perlite I copied from somewhere:

Vermiculite is a alumino-silicate clay mineral that is mined and heated to expand the particles. It’s sterile, soaks up 3-4 times its volume in water, and attracts nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorous.

Perlite, on the other hand, is a silicon-rich volcanic rock. It’s also mined and heated to expand the particles. It will soak up some water but is mainly used to aerate and improve drainage in potting mixes.

A simple way to bring down the PH in your soil is vinegar. Just using that basic PH tester you have. Make a batch of water adjusted to 6.0 PH to flush through your plants. You just don't want to continually use. I have to lower my PH, and use General Hydroponics PH down acid in powder form. A simple mixture of Ammonium acid, Citric acid, and Urea phosphate. I works great at keeping a stable PH. For example, The soil medium I use has a PH level of 6.8. My water is also is fluctuating between 6.5, and 7.0. When feeding and watering I adjust my water to 6.0 This leaves the soil with a PH level of 6.3. Right where I and the plants are happy. Hope this helps some.

The soil I used is a mix of warm castings and pure organic soil, no ferts or other nuts in it. One pot I used a 3 to 1 mix of soil and perlite, the other I ran out half way through doing the mix and added a bit more vermiculite. They do see perkier today though, although Im about to head up to the store to by more perlite as I dont want to screw myself a third time over.

As for food, Im now giving them an organic fish emulsion, seaweed kelp, blood and bone, and some black organic powder which I cant recall the name of. I give them this every 2nd drink and then its diluted down.I was giving them a compost tea but I have to mix another brew which Im about to do. Thats stuff seemed to work well.

You say the stuff seems to work well, but your plants really look like they are starving to death. I think they are really N deficient. I think that when working with organics you need some kind of recipe that contains all the nutrients that the plant needs rather than giving a little of this and a little of that.

What would you recommend as a recipe?

What I currently have at home is pellet Chicken crap, Warm piss, warm castings, Fish emulsion, sea weed emulsion, dolomite, epsom salts, fulvic and humic acid.

i still don't get why your checking ph if your organic. But I have a feeling you don't really want any advice, so I will bid you adieu, and say may the green mojo be with you.

if he doent run dolomite lime then he needs to be checking PH....

does not matter if you bubble a tea...it will not always be in the range you need it.

check ph of everything that you can, even runoff if your having issues.

more info the better.

Rosebud,

What gave you the idea I dont want any advice?? Thats exactly why I here...to learn.

I have read so much on the importance of Ph in soils, then I read on here that it shouldn't matter if its all organic, so yes, Im a bit more confused now. I will buy a Ph meter next week so I know whats going on below the surface. This is a whole new experience to me, never grown weed before.

6,5 bro.....

check run off if you can...if u feed @ 6.5 and the runoff is 8.1 u know u dont have enough buffer in the soil and your feeding aint doing **** for PH in the root zone.

knowledge is power.

trillions of atoms said:
6,5 bro.....

check run off if you can...if u feed @ 6.5 and the runoff is 8.1 u know u dont have enough buffer in the soil and your feeding aint doing **** for PH in the root zone.

knowledge is power.

SOLID:goodposting:

Im waiting for the new Ph digital meter to turn up in the post. I have taken more photos of the plants after a good feeding and a soil change out. They have responded well however the sick looking leaves may stay that way. The rest of the growth is becoming darker green with each passing day.

P9090348.JPG

P9090350.JPG

P9090356.JPG

P9090357.JPG

P9090353.JPG

Those look identical to the plant I was having problems with. Found the PH of the soil at 7.3. I got some PH down online. Over the course of 2 weeks I have been able to slowly get it down to 6.7 and the plant is looking MUCH better.

The leaves that are effected with the spots and such will probably never recover....but the rest of the plant has been recovering nicely.

I am wishing good luck for you stufart... I know nothing about ph. Hang in here and this good place of MP will get you through.

If you haven't had a digital meter, and your trying to test w a soil probe or liquid. I'd be willin to bet its a ph issue.

If the ph is off it will lock out important elements, making it appear you don't have "enough" of those certian elements in your feeding solution although you might have it all.

Congrats on getting a PH meter, Something I should do!:)

Im not toying with them until I get the Ph meter. I guess I have to find my mojo. Everything gone in to date has been organic, so fingers crossed the Ph isnt to far off.

And a big thank you to all those who have helped. I maybe a slow learner at this but I do see the wisdom after correcting some srcew ups I made.

here is an update. I the Ph meter still hasn't arrived yet, our mail is happily named the snail mail service. Anyway, the plants are bouncing back very well. They are becoming darker green each passing day. The healthiest looking plant is the blue berry, man that thing just hangs in there no matter what happens. The sickest plant in the previous photos is no looking much better, the leaves are darker green, the leaves are standing up and there is new growth. The photos dont really do them justice, they dont look anywhere near as healthy as they do in reality.

P9120359.JPG

P9120361.JPG

P9120362.JPG

P9120363.JPG

P9120364.JPG

P9120365.JPG

P9120366.JPG

Latest posts

Back