first grow Need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalholic

Reaction score
hey whats up peeps. glad i joined this site. Well i just purchased some Auto ak47 and could use some help here. I have a 58" tall 53" length and 20" deep closet space. Want to use CFL's and how many should i use for this space. I seen videos with people that used CFL's and had good yeild. Im about to Germ tomorrow and getting ready to go to Lowes to get some lighting. Please help. Thanks again.:)

Well, lets say you go with 42W CFLs. You have 7.36 sq ft. You need 5000 lumens per sq ft, so that's about 36,800 lumens. A 42W CFL is 2800 lumens. So you need 14 42W CFLs.

Just so you know, lumen for lumen, CFLs cost more to purchase initially, cost more to operate every month, put out more heat, and produce less bud than a HPS.

Whatever lighting you use, you are going to need ventilation, so start giving that some thought.

Goddes u goddes thank u so much for the info i highly appreciate it. im going to put some pics up when I start my project and i will keep u informed. if u dont mind may i put u on my friends list. maybe u can guide me through if i have tough times? thank u again

Look at some other grow journals around here and you will see the big yeilders and what they use. The hemphrodite is one of them.

if you want to see my new customized board of CFL's i will show you , message me and i will show you my board , its a board similar to a skateboard handing 16 CFL's on 23watts each , that is 1700lumens output for each one , so overrall is about 27000 lumens im using it to grow 3 plants , ill send you the photo once you msg me ;)

crozar said:
if you want to see my new customized board of CFL's i will show you , message me and i will show you my board , its a board similar to a skateboard handing 16 CFL's on 23watts each , that is 1700lumens output for each one , so overrall is about 27000 lumens im using it to grow 3 plants , ill send you the photo once you msg me ;)

i definitely wanna see this board if its a skateboard and its helping you to grow...THATS AWESOME! i have so many decks broken layin around ....enlighten me!

Here are the photos of my customized Board with 16 CFL's , i thought about make it 20 CFL's overrall to get around 30000 lumens .. maybe i will but im not sure ... the wholes from the top removes the heat quicker . temperature of the canopy is 21.3 degrees celcius , humidity 48% .
il be using this board for cloning later ;) and have my HPS with 2 customized T8 board that holds 12 T8 tubes in each board , i will get around 48000 lumes with the 2boards + my 600watts HPS in the middle. i will have that in my grow tent i just dont know how to set up the boards not to fall , im figuring out 10degree angle but i will have trouble puting the pots in the middle.. this is my project so i can grow 10 plants with better results . and the board wil be for cloning :D , i have another board but with 10 CFL's that i will use for other plants if im out of space lol

IMG00038-20090521-933.jpg

IMG00039-20090521-934.jpg

IMG00040-20090521-935.jpg

16 x 23 watt = 27,000 lumens for 368 watts of consumed energy ($ spent)
1 - 400 watt hps = 50,000 lumens for 400 consumed watts
..."twice" as much light for "about" the same energy...AND a very similar amount of heat

16 x 23@ $10 ea = $160
1 400 watt hps "system" from htg = $124
.....:confused2:....

16 x 23 watts = 368 watts <-- CFL's is for cloning .

24 x 36 watts = 864 watts <-- T8's + 600watts HPS = for vegging and flowering
that is around 1500 watts output for my tent

money spent ? not alot because i bought the CFL's from t he distributor :D osram's headquarters

kinda neat look'n setup... i'll be :watchplant:

Raphee17 said:
i definitely wanna see this board if its a skateboard and its helping you to grow...THATS AWESOME! i have so many decks broken layin around ....enlighten me!

lol come on raphie. your outta control

16 x 23 watts = 368 watts <-- CFL's is for cloning .
I don't care if it's for heating your tea... It's "inefficient" and more expensive than a hps

ok im back, So i purchased a 400w HPS light and the thing is that I'm really worried about is nutes? Remember I'm growing Auto AK47 so some help would really be nice I could use it LOL. All you guys are being helpful and i appreciate it. Oh Also quick what would be the best soil to use? Thanks

Hey there metal, I use advance nutrients sensi 2 part, wicked easy and user friendly in my eyes, it was recommended from someone from here. I like and like the results so far check out my journal, I am about a month in from seed.

criz

my cfl's teh 6500k were only 6$ for a pair(2)
and teh 2700k were under 10$ for box of 5
both GE brand at wal-mart here. but how else my gona know if cfl's suck. i mean i could take everyone word for it even when it seems obvious that hps is by far better of course. but again for some and alot seein is beleivin. imo.
that way the curiousity is dead for the most part and will never come to mind again im thinkin anyway...
i no idea compared to wat i got now wat an hps would have done until i try one. but at least then i'll have proof for comparison personally iguess.

HEY CROZAR<<<< wat'd ya use for ya hood(lites) looks kinda neet. i mean neat as in nice an neat too. mines a lil rigged up atm is y i asked. lol

hps is the only way to go, ive gotten 2 harvest in 6months, the plants veg. just fine and the buds are nice and tight plus BIG mine r white widow and on this last planting by seed, within 1 month i have 4 plants 2ft. with 1nch long buds absolutly amazing, i use FOXFARM - OCEAN FOREST SOIL, it cost me 15.00 for a 1-1/2 cubic yard bag and its worth every penny and i use schultz BLOOMPLUS for nutes!! good luck

Hey Zipflip i had it constructed in an Alaminium store for around 25$ , i gave them a picture of my idea and they made it for me :) , i shouldve told them to add a couple more inches of length so i can fit in more lights . the reflector hood isnt good enough because its Aluminium bad reflection quality , even if i polish it it wont be as good , i thought of painting it but i ordered some diamond myler and some whitereflection paper , im not sure which to use for the hood right now , any ideas which will give the best reflection ?
i have another new customized setup coming up , but hick is right about how i will fit it in my grow space with my HPS , im afraid in have trouble with height , the new setup will be 132 CM in length board , it is 8degrees bending towards plant and i will have 10 or 12 T8's of 36watts 120cm on it , the stand to hold that board is around 35cm infront of the board , i will have 2 of these , in a 120x120x200 cm grow tent , im afraid i wont have places for the buckets to be put in the middle :( , right now i have the carpenter to do me 1 prototype for 20$ i might tell him to tweak it for less space in the front holder so i can have the pots be put . this is the sample of what im thinking..
i have 2 samples , please tell me which is good :/ im worried that i will have a problem that my plants will be squashed as in no space.

Untitled.jpg

samplesetup.jpg

on mine i just used flat white high temperatre paint. just look in the spray paint aisle or pain can section at wal-mart. its under 5$ for wat ya'd need sized can.
i doubt it'd get that hot to need hi temp paint but i did just in case.
ya might find somethin in teh automotive touch up paint section too at any auto store.

zipflip said:
my cfl's teh 6500k were only 6$ for a pair(2)
and teh 2700k were under 10$ for box of 5
both GE brand at wal-mart here. but how else my gona know if cfl's suck. i mean i could take everyone word for it even when it seems obvious that hps is by far better of course. but again for some and alot seein is beleivin. imo.
that way the curiousity is dead for the most part and will never come to mind again im thinkin anyway...
i no idea compared to wat i got now wat an hps would have done until i try one. but at least then i'll have proof for comparison personally iguess.

HEY CROZAR<<<< wat'd ya use for ya hood(lites) looks kinda neet. i mean neat as in nice an neat too. mines a lil rigged up atm is y i asked. lol

I just did a quick google for those prices. But I'm not "dissing" cfls for what they are. I use a few, on my donors room. But "I" use thm because they are low lumen. I can keep them a few inches away, and do not promote a "lot" of growth. I have 6 of them, covering about 6 sq/ft.
I'm just pointing out the facts. cfls are not 'cheaper' nor are the the 'quality' of light that hids are, or significantly cooler, when you actually compare them "equally".

Latest posts

Back