First grow w/cfl's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Cakes

Amsterdam indica
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first grow i started it on 8/20 so any help along the way would be great. So i ordered these seeds from amsterdamseeds.com. i went with and indica strain because im limited to space. I had these hopefully 4 girls growing in fox farm ocean forest medium under two 2ft. floresents for about two and a half weeks i just now replaced those light with 4 23watt 2700k cfl's and 2 26watt 6500k cfl's. I have 4 40 watt 5000k on there way.Also running on 18/6 light cycle. i plan on transplanting them when my new bulbs come in.
so leave some feedback if you have any comments suggestions or ideas to better my grow my ears are open like i said it's my first grow so i want to make it a good one.

material list:
-box-3ft high/3ft wide/2.5ft deep
-2 dragon fans 115vac (exhaust)
-1 pc fan 120cfm (intake)
-wrap in mylar
-4 23watt 2700K cfl's
-2 26watt 6500K cfl's
-4 40watt 5000K cfl's (being shipped as we speak)

pic7.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic 3.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 1.jpg

love your box he he hehe, patience is the key it will be hard but be patient and good luck.

hello, good looking seedlings you have!!

Just one tip you may want to start looking into getting a HID light set up

Right now you have 304 watts total and 20,600 lumens

A 250 watt HPS produces 29,000 lumens and uses less power....

You are paying more money for less light

hey thanks for the replies guys yes i know the HID is the way to go i acually have and 400w mh and hsp that my step bro let me borrow but it was way to hot for that samll space and im not trying to spend the money right now on a cool tube or a crazy expensive fans. so this will have to work for now. but thanks for the tip

Wow man, where did you get them wicked bulb splitters with a direct plug in sockets right into the outlet like that at ? awesome . I think cfl is the way to go for veg right now, my set up similar to yall and the plants doing fine . Nice Nice !! Some green love for your babies :)

AsianSky said:
Wow man, where did you get them wicked bulb splitters with a direct plug in sockets right into the outlet like that at ? awesome . I think cfl is the way to go for veg right now, my set up similar to yall and the plants doing fine . Nice Nice !! Some green love for your babies :)
homedepot sells them for like 2 bucks, if you screw 3 of them together you can get 4 bulbs on 1 socket , I run 4 62 watters on 1 socket works well.

I have never seen those at the HD. I am going to check it out tomorrow!

J Cakes said:
hey thanks for the replies guys yes i know the HID is the way to go i acually have and 400w mh and hsp that my step bro let me borrow but it was way to hot for that samll space and im not trying to spend the money right now on a cool tube or a crazy expensive fans. so this will have to work for now. but thanks for the tip

When you get the 4 40 watters in there, your heat will almost certainly be higher than 1 250W HPS.

hey guys the ? about the splitters you can get them at home depot and lowes they both got them there. at mine they were just past the lighting supplies with the outlit covers and sockets. they should be there and like frankcos said there like $2.

and they comment about the 40watts i have commin yea i figured that it would get hot so ima switch them out with the 23watt 2700k. then see what kind of temp ima be runnin i picked up a nice oscilating on clearence at walmart today so i can get them stem stronger. But if you have a better way that you think would work better in refrence to how many of each bulb i should have in there i'd like to hear them keep the post commin. and ill be puttin up some new picks when my lights get here.

I have 4 -42 watt 2700k ,2- 26 watt 2700k, and 4-62 watt 6500k's and as long as I keep my exhaust fans running, It stays about 75 in their.I can spray and mist my plants while they are on and the bulbs are not hot enough for the moisture to burst them, a hps certainly would burst.

hey guys i have done a little changes i am still waiting for my 40watt 5000k cfl's to come in they should be here in like a day or two. So for the mean time i replaced some bulbs im now running 4 26watt 6500k cfl's and 3 23watt 2700k cfl's i replaces my mini fan with a oscilating fan my plants seem to like it. here are some pics tell me what you think.
smoking.gif

1st week veg [].JPG

1st week veg2 [].JPG

first week veg3 [].JPG

1st week veg4 [].JPG

1st week veg5 [].JPG

1st week veg6 [].JPG

1st week veg7 [].JPG

Looking good..if you really want to go with cfl's the whole way take a look at Mentalpatients cfl grows....he grew some real nice plants under cfl's...you might pick up some tips reading through his journals...

thanks for the advice yea it looks like he did well. eventually ima try doing some lsting i suppose

HI,

They're looking nice... Yup... you'll especially want to use LST and/or a screen to even out your canopy and get max light to all the bud sites.

Rock ON!:headbang2:

so guess what i got my 40watts cfl today and 3 out of 4 were broken gay gay gay..... so there sending me 3 new ones but when i get them i was wondering what i should do bout those lights its gonna get hot in there any ideas on reducing the heat and keeping it on a low budget?
ps thanks for the feedback guys keep it commin +rep

I use an 8 in duct fan, real cheap at hd and a 4 inch computer fan both for exhaust ,vented into my attic with a 4 inch intake fan.Keeps my temps down to about 75.I bought my 68 watt 300equiv 6500k cfl's at hd.They screw into a regular outlet unlike some I have seen this size that use a mogul.They were $14.99 not sure if all Hd's sell them though.

FYI when i returned a broken cfl to the store they flipped out and told me the stuff is toxic inside the bulbs and I should have kept them wrapped in a bag as soon as it broke.I had never given it any thought.

Hey jcakes looking good, gonna pull up a chair for this one, as far as your heat problem maybe mounting some type of exhaust on top of your box might help.

You are gonna need all 6500k bulbs for veg especially with a 3ft box,otherwise their gonna grow right out the roof of that box,when she's time for flower switch to the 2700k,my box is 5 1/2 ft and was not tall enough,although i did not lst them,i ran 10 26watt 6500k bulbs for veg and 10 23 watt 2700k bulbs for flower and was very impressed,with no fan at all,i'll try to get some pic/s up in a bit.

DR.Feelgood

If you are dealing with a small space and not growing autos you are going to hve to top them and tie them down...when they go into flower they will increse in size by anywhere from 2 times to 3 times...my first grow my girl in soil grew to almost 5 feet tall...

Latest posts

Back