First Hydro Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unseenghost

Reaction score
The last one didn't go well so I am trying it again.

Culligan Water
Ebb and Flow
Rock Wool
Hydroton Rocks
10 Gallon Res

Ph and PPM over the last week.
Ph 5.7 - 6.1
PPM 74 - 128

Feeding GH Flora 3 part right now only one 15 minute time a day

11/26/07

Four WW seeds in paper towel method in a sealed tupperware type container. On top of a heating pad set at the lowest setting. Heating pad and container wrapped up in a bath towel.

11/27/07

Three of four seeds have cracked open. Placed in rockwool starter plugs. Distilled water to soak rockwool plugs. Then placed between two plastic plates on the heating pad. Bath towel covering the plates, container, and heating pad.

11/28/07

The last seed cracked, and placed in the rockwool plugs as the othe three were. The other three are now seedlings above the rockwool. The three were placed in 4" X 4" rockwool grow cubes. Grow cubes were place in Ebb and Flow tub.

11/29/07

The last one is begining to grow into a seedling, just starting to break surface. The other three are doing great.

11/30/07

The last one is a full blown seedling like the others. The others are on thier first set of single leaves, but see the beginings of the first set of true typical mj leaves.

12/01/07

The last one is just one day behind the others so I will refrain from typing about the other three. I will just type about them all as a group.

1-11-29-07.jpg

2-11-29-07.jpg

3-11-29-07.jpg

1-11-30-07.jpg

2-11-30-07.jpg

3-11-30-07.jpg

4-11-30-07.jpg

Those sprouts are looking nice and snug. Off to a good start I would say!

You sure that one 15 min. cycle per day is going to be enough for those little tykes? If so, when do you plan on introducing one or two more cycles per day?

From my one past failure I found out that rock wool stays moist for a long time. Hence the once a day feeding. I think that by the middle of the 2nd week or if they tell me they want more then I will bump it up to 3 times. Unless one of the Hyrdo Gods I mean Mods tell me otherwise. And I have a 400 watt digital MH on them now. I am thankfull that the balast I chose does both mh and hps.

Moved to three 15 minute feedings

PH 5.49
PPM 174

Is the PPM too high cause it seems that I would need to take out 5 gallons and put in 5 gallons to drop it to 100

Anyway here are some new photos

1-12-02-07.jpg

2-12-02-07.jpg

3-12-02-07.jpg

4-12-02-07.jpg

What cute little youngsters!:baby:

Within a couple of weeks, your root growth should be mostly outside the rockwool cube.

I've always used a one hour on, two off cycle, 24/7. If you mix your nutes outside the reservoir and make double sure you mix the flora Micro, (the dark one), first. To do otherwise will cause major nute lockout.

Good luck!

holy cow those are gonna grow so fast, you'll poo yourself.

and they're so cute at this age..

Thanks Stony for the comments. I did just as you said the micro was mixed in 1 gallon of water then added to the res. Same with the bloom and grow. Was I wrong in thinking that putting the seedlings in to the ebb and flow right away was good. I have a dripper that I could easy enough set up atleast for the first couple weeks? Anyway still going strong. Can't wait to see what the next couple days bring.

The new photos are in

PPM 194
PH 6.3
Cab Temp 73 F
Res Temp 70-76 F

Anyone see problems??

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

unseenghost said:
The new photos are in

PPM 194
PH 6.3
Cab Temp 73 F
Res Temp 70-76 F

Anyone see problems??

Wow very nice for a first hydro, good temps, personally i like the PH a little lower (5.8) but id say its A+ man

Second the drop of the pH to 5.8... or thereabouts. Looks good, and keep the updates acomin'. ;)

Looking good, I will be following this one all the way. Good luck brotha

This is just an update and a few photos

Res change
PPM 107
PH 5.9
Cab temp 78-81
Res temp 68-71

The next update will be a few days and with luck alot more growth

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

I would definately recommend going from clone in the future. Growth is ten time more rapid and plants will all be consistent. But you are definately appear to be doing everything correctly.

Okay I now have plants that the color is fading slowly to pale green. Nitrogen Def?? But the edges of the leaves are curling up to the sky, just the edges, not folding up. There seems to be no new growth on the biggest girl since a couple days ago.

PH is a tad high at 6.3
The PPM is Higher then I would like to see at 194

Tips of all plants are turning brown and drying up. Just the tips. See photos below.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Temps are still in the real low 80s to upper 70s.
Res temp is in the mid 70s
PPM 265
PH 6.25

After much reading and dumping the res I just changed I chose to restart the res nute level. Read Maxium Yield article stating that overfeeding in hydro is impossible, but could dehydrate the roots. So I feel that nute burn is less of a threat than I originaly thought. When I dumped that old nute solution I ran straight water with no growth for 2 days. After reading more posts and articles about nutrients I added nutes to the res. Well I added them to the remaing gallons to make a 7 gallon nute solution. That was 12/09/07. Today 12/10/07 They exploded in growth. I am happy again and will try not to stress out about them. Here are the latest photos.

Also do you think that the flood tray is too small for the girls?

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

12_10_07_00001.jpg

unseenghost said:
Read Maxium Yield article stating that overfeeding in hydro is impossible, but could dehydrate the roots.

If that is exactly what you read, it's baloney.

After 40+ years of growing weed and more than 25 of using Hydroponics exclusively, I can tell you that with no doubt what-so-ever, you can kill your plants in Hydroponics by over feeding them.

I'm wondering if you perhaps mis-read that statement? Perhaps the author meant something different than what you thought he/she meant.

I'm not doubting anything you said I just letting every one know what I read and did. The results seem good I will keep you all posted

Latest posts

Back