First time grower looking for lighting advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCynical

Reaction score
I will be growing in soil, in a closet aprox 4x4. Likely having 2-4 mother plants, 2-4 plants in veg, and 2-4 flowering. I am thinking of using T5 system for the clones and veg. I am unsure of how to best treat or rotate mother plants between lights. After reading the forums a bit, watching a few videos, ect I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing or what advice to take except for try it, record it, and see what happens. However, I was looking at this HPS combo light and was looking for some input on the brand, if anyone has bought from this store before, any tips, tricks or other info I may find useful will be appreciated. Anyways, unto the light in question

Digital Electronic Ultimate 600 watt HPS & MH Grow Light

htg supply and product ID 48969

They claim the following, and could use some experienced growers input.

System includes:
  • 600 watt Digital Electronic High Output Remote Ballast
  • MaxWing Reflector
  • GrowBright 600 watt HPS High Output Horticultural bulb
  • GrowBright 600 watt Metal Halide Conversion (MH) bulb
  • Socket / Cord Set
About the system:
This 600 watt system is recommended for gardens anywhere between 4’ x 4’ (floor space) to 7’ x 7’.
BOTH A METAL HALIDE & HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM Grow Light system in one!
Growers worldwide consider the best way to grow flowering plants is by vegetatively growing them under the bright white light of the METAL HALIDE then switching over the the HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM super bright orangish/red spectrum for the flowering stage of plant growth. The Metal Halide bulb provides lush, compact plant growth. The HPS bulb’s spectrum mimics that of the "harvest sun" and promotes explosive, prolific flowering of plants.

I tossed a few bag seeds into a jiffy mini greenhouse and near my office lamp w/ 3 100W florecent bulbs and I was supprised that 7 of them are now about 5" tall, and I just received my medical marijuana card so am a little behind the power curve. I think I'm already loving this new hobby though.

it is a great light. I use two of these ballasts and two of these growbright 600 watt bulbs and I get great results. The only difference is I upgraded both of my 600 HPS lights to 6" cool tubes. One in a 16 square foot area would give you over 5,000 lumens per square foot, which is the minimum you want to shoot for. If you get that light you will be very happy. I do not even use the MH bulbs, never have. This way my flowering chamber only spends time flowering, instead of wasting time vegging plants. I veg under fluros and then flower them under these when they are around 10" and I still end up with 3 foot plants, some would go more if I didn't tie down the tops. There are pics in my silent exhaust design link in my signature.

I'm not saying it's the greatest light on the market, but in my opinion it gets great results.
Hope this helps!

I also veg under fluoros and flower with a HPS. If this was me, I would buy the set-up with just the HPS bulb and I would get an air cooled hood or cooltube--this makes all the difference in the world when trying to control your heat.

I think I will go with the recomendations you two made. I was considering using fluros but had been reading mixed results on the forums (great for veg, but poor yields for flowering if they flower). I think I will take the advice and try just adding some more floros for initial veg and move them into the flower chamber earlier.

I am not sure what the difference is though between T5, T8, and T10's?

Also do either of you two also use some floros during flower? I've read others post that the plants get stringy if you striclty flower with HPS?

The Hemp Goddess said:
I also veg under fluoros and flower with a HPS. If this was me, I would buy the set-up with just the HPS bulb and I would get an air cooled hood or cooltube--this makes all the difference in the world when trying to control your heat.

:yeahthat::goodposting: Although I like the air cooled better that the cooltube and I veg under cfl's and a 400 watt mh(when needed)

If you have your hps light close enough there should not be the stringy growth you speak of. I have used my mh with my hps just for the first 2 weeks of flower trying to keep the stretch to a minimal amount.

I have that light in a 400w model wish I got the 600w. Its a sweet light. I upgraded to the cool tube reflector though, Glad I did.

Hey MrCynical-
You got some great advice there from the experts- good luck with your grow. As far as T5 vs T8 vs T12 those merely refer to the bulb diameter based in 1/8" increments (ie: T8 = 1" diameter). Most things I've read (I veg with MH) say T5's are the best for heat/output/wattage. Good luck on your grow.

I have used my mh with my hps just for the first 2 weeks of flower trying to keep the stretch to a minimal amount.

Hey PCDuck- how did that work out? I'm trying that on my next grow, along with an initial shot of N to see how that affects stretch. I've also read that using MH for the last 2 weeks of flower (along with a UVB light) greatly increases trich production. Any thoughts on that?

it is comforting to see a new member actually read and follow great advice. I have the 400w version of your lite and I can't believe my last 2 harvests. I will update my current grow today hopefully. I started with ALL cfl's and also now start my seedlings and beginning veg with cfls. I have not yet used the mh lite as the hps has delivered great results. :D green for your grow

BBFan said:
Hey MrCynical-

Hey PCDuck- how did that work out? I'm trying that on my next grow, along with an initial shot of N to see how that affects stretch. I've also read that using MH for the last 2 weeks of flower (along with a UVB light) greatly increases trich production. Any thoughts on that?

They seemed to have less stretch, but I am not sure if it was from the k temp of the added light or just the added lumens. I would have to do a more in depth study to know for sure.
I have not tried adding a mh or a UVB light at the end of flowering, have you tried it?

PCDuck-
I haven't tried it yet but planning on it for my next grow. Another member here told me about the uvb light recently and his reaoning and back up was sound so I thought I'd try it.

I read an article a while back regarding the MH at the end of flowering so I'm definitely going to try it.

I'm a few weeks off from starting my next grow, but I'll let you know how it works out.

I got a air cooled 600mh/hps setup from htg and then just got a 400mh air cooled setup too.lol. check my log.. im runnin the 600mh in the homebox large, 3.2'x3.2'x6.6' and its doing great.

Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate it. I'm also glad to hear all the good news about the initial equipment I have in mind.

I plan on growing organically, and was wondering if anybody knew of any good reference material for me to look up or input regarding using ladybugs, preying mantis, ect to keep my garden pest free. Thanks in advance.

they have a great section here for organic grows including tutorials on making your own nuts.

Latest posts

Back