First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing both because I love to try new things and see if I can stand the challenge. And it is very challenging to do both at the same time. To me the chem/hydro is easier to do but takes more work, while the organic is more difficult to manage but is less work to do. :)

Nutes are nutes.. both will produce depending on feeding. Organic nutes i believe need to still be broken down by the microbes in the soil. Chemical nutes have already been broken down called "chelated". Non organic nutes can create a salt build up over gime which is why some people flush when they get problems.

I just kind of like the idea of the organic nutes because... well... they are organic lol.

We will see how it goes. If it doesn't go too well then I will try something else next time.

Quick question.

When I start dosing FF nutes can I mix them together and dose at the same time?

Like this week it would call for Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom. Can I mix the two and dose at the same time or should I wait a couple days in between and should I flush in between dosing?

Flushing agents sold by companies are a waste of money in my opinion. No you never want to flush unless you have a problem with your plants. If you need to flush you use 3 times the volume of your pot (example 3 gallon pot you would use 9 gallons of clean water run through your pot) then you let it dry out completely before reapplying nutes.

The purpose of flushing is to wash the soil of the salt build up and nutes to give you a good soil to use again. Some flush before going into flower.

Flushing between nutes would defeat the purpose of feeding at all. Yes you mix them together but make sure you mix it right. With GH3 part you have to add one part into the water stir it around then add the other one and stir and then the last one. NEVER add concentrates together before adding it into the water it will create a lockout. After your nutes are added wait an hour check the ph and adjust the ph accordingly with PH up or Down.

I recommend going to foxfarms site and looking for how to use and mix their nutes and get a feeding schedule and start it at 1/4th-1/2 strength of what they say and working up gradually from there and you dont feed every watering.

Thanks! I was planning on doing about half strength on the nutes. I was just unsure if I can mix two separate nutes together into the same 1 gallon jug of distilled water or if I had to do two separate 1 gallon jugs of distilled water.

Nope youll be good and from what I've recently been reading distilled water isnt good to use and spring water should be used instead.... I'm still on the toss up of that because distilled water shouldnt have any dissolved solids in the water and is the purest.

I haven't seen any issues (not that I know of) from distilled water. Not sure how good of an idea it would be to switch water sources half way through the grow? I might go RO water in the future?

Not sure for distilled, which i think is good, but RO water isnt something you want to start using without understanding the consequences. RO water has nothing in it, at all. What happens, i think, is It will strip all the nutrients out of your soil if you dont add anything to the water. Make sure to do your research before making a change like that.

sMACk

Yeah until I get more time to do research into distilled and RO water I'll stick to spring water and be safe. RO water has scared me since I read a little bit... good for drinking but not sure about plants.

So should I only dose the FF nutes once a week and then just water the other days?

I can't tell you exactly how often to feed, but start slow and build up no matter what you do.

have fun!

sMACk

I think there are some misconceptions here regarding distilled and RO water. There is no problem with using either distilled or RO water. Both have simply undergone processes to remove dissolved solids in the water--there is really not much difference in them, except that distilled water is purer than RO water, which will probably still have some dissolved solids in it. Distilled water is absolutely pure. For many people, tap water is just fine--I use tap water with no problems whatsoever.

It's just that distilled water can get expensive over time. It's 79 cents a gallon for ro water at my local fish store. Hmm....

You can buy distilled water here for 49c a gallon at walmart I believe. My well water smells horrible of sulfur(sp) and is no where near clear because of the decaying mater in it still (I just had a 4 point well system put in and still needs to flush out just haven't had time) so I've been using gallon spring water (my tap water isnt exactly clean here either).

I fed one plant 1/4th strength today; next feeding I'll bump up to half strength and then maybe 2/3rds, not sure just depends. Have you gotten your light yet Growgreen? I should have mine wednesday.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
I fed one plant 1/4th strength today; next feeding I'll bump up to half strength and then maybe 2/3rds, not sure just depends. Have you gotten your light yet Growgreen? I should have mine wednesday.

when you gonna put some pics up of those plants?

sMACk

Latest posts

Back