First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and the pots I have them in right now are, I think, 1/2 gallon pots....

Yup not a problem I've been doing a ton of research(the majority of my learning has been from this site and its wonderful members) for my first grow since I've had ample time to do so before getting everything to start a grow. I would just scrap the CO2 and work on keeping your ventillation strong and steady once you get that new fan up and going. Hopefully your plants will come back you might want to stake up the limp ones.

I want to get some mesh, like the black stuff you have, and let the plants grow through that... is that a good idea?

And will I need to upgrade pots? They are 1/2 gallon pots right now I think??

T5s are still not going to give you enough light (little over 3000 lumens per sq ft) to benefit from the CO2. You might want to read up some more on CO2 enhancement and see what is required to make it beneficial.

I'm with The Silver Bullet on the stretch. You need more light, adequate ventilation and an oscillating fan in there to move things around. Plants that stretch have fewer bud sites and thereby fewer buds.

The black stuff is coated chicken wire you can get a roll 2'wide x25' long for $20 at homedepot its what I'm using if LST doesnt work out on my plants and I will go with a scrog/semi scrog set up. Alot of people use screen for support but I would get a screen with bigger holes than what I have and you will need to do a little searching on how to grow through a screen.

Lights are here. I have A LOT of air movement... 4 fans inside moving air and I am picking up a better exhaust fan this weekend.

Probably will ditch the CO2.

If you're in 1/2 gallon pots you can go ahead and transplant into 3 gallon pots if you use FFOF again you bought yourself another 3-4 weeks you wont have to feed.

The biggest I can go is 2 gallon pots ... That's the biggest size I can fit in my grow tent :/. Will 2 gallon pots be okay?

Theres members here that crank out killer plants in one gallon pots (Hamster Lewis) check out his grows. So yes 2 gallon pots will do fine too. I like 3 gallon because my screen set up will fit in the bottom of it to move it.

It will let me veg a litle longer since with my set up I will have 2 months of veg time in between flowering. I only have one flower room and I'd like to keep plants in veg to clone so when I harvest I cut clones make them root and then send the old ones into flower.

I plan on growing 2-4 plants in my tiny 2'x5.5' area and make like a sea of green(SOG) from LSTing my plants or SCROG. with a veg time as long as I'm thinking I'll have theres a chance I'll have to step up to 5 gallon buckets only time will tell how root bound they will get.

I'm not sure how or if smart pots get root bound since the roots prune themselves when they reach the side of the pot. (Oh forgot to mention when I start in on my known genetics I recently ordered I will be growing in 3 gallon smart pots) you might want to look into them they give you a noticably(sp) better plant than regular pots.

Well grow green I hope your light came in better than mine.... I have a broken bulb one out of 4 isnt bad I expected one to break... got to love UPS lol. I wonder if anywhere local sells these bulbs I'll have look into that.

Hemp can I run this fixture with only 3 bulbs like T8 fixtures run with a bulb out.

I still cannot believe the difference in brightness from those 4 little dinky 1600 lumen 23W bulbs to just two of these T5's :eek:

The Silver Bullet Special said:
Well grow green I hope your light came in better than mine.... I have a broken bulb one out of 4 isnt bad I expected one to break... got to love UPS lol. I wonder if anywhere local sells these bulbs I'll have look into that.

Hemp can I run this fixture with only 3 bulbs like T8 fixtures run with a bulb out.

I still cannot believe the difference in brightness from those 4 little dinky 1600 lumen 23W bulbs to just two of these T5's :eek:

You will be able to run 2. I always try to have extra bulbs on hand. When I first ordered mine, my tubes arrived just fine. However, I forgot I had the ceiling fan on in my bedroom....I pulled one of the tubes up and out of the box....right into the blades of the ceiling fan....I vacuumed for hours trying to get every little tiny shard.

Sorry to hear about the broken bulbs I hope mine came in well. I will be able to check in two days.

And I will check into those pots to see what they are all about. Thanks!

The Hemp Goddess said:
You will be able to run 2. I always try to have extra bulbs on hand. When I first ordered mine, my tubes arrived just fine. However, I forgot I had the ceiling fan on in my bedroom....I pulled one of the tubes up and out of the box....right into the blades of the ceiling fan....I vacuumed for hours trying to get every little tiny shard.

Yeah it was like cleaning up sand when I opened the bulb box LOL. I sent them an email but if they don't send an extra bulb I know it's not their fault I'll just order some and I'll have an extra one on hand then.

Well here is my new cleaner, and better lit veg closet! Very excited and happy with these lights even if the bulb was busted lol. The first pic is just one side of how things are put up in the closet I have two 2' 2x4's to cross the width of the closet and a 6ft long 2x4 to cross the top.

top 1.jpg

hanging1.jpg

canopy1.jpg

The lights look really good! Hope you get a new tube soon so you can run all four lights! :D

How much do you think the whole unit weighs?

I will have to pick up some light hangers this weekend as I didn't order any with the light.

What carbon filter would you recommend?

I don't really even know what carbon filter I'm going to use yet. Hushpuppy suggested me this one hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/inch-triple-layer-singlepass-charcoal-fiber-filter-p-2365.html . If you are using a 4inch duct they have a cheaper 4inch model too.

He said the trick to these are to back wash with water when you go to wash them (these are the only washable and water washable carbon filters I've seen). Since my space isnt all that big this, if it works, will be great as it will attach right to my hood vent pipe. Just wash after a month or after every grow. If I go with these I'm going to get two of them so when I one is dirty the other one is ready to go up while I clean it.

Also HTG gave me a really fast response and said they would put a replacement bulb in the mail today for me. That won me over as a customer for them.

Nice I will have to look into those filters! And glad to here the good news about htg .Makes me feel a little better about ordering from them.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
I don't really even know what carbon filter I'm going to use yet. Hushpuppy suggested me this one hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/inch-triple-layer-singlepass-charcoal-fiber-filter-p-2365.html . If you are using a 4inch duct they have a cheaper 4inch model too.

He said the trick to these are to back wash with water when you go to wash them (these are the only washable and water washable carbon filters I've seen). Since my space isnt all that big this, if it works, will be great as it will attach right to my hood vent pipe. Just wash after a month or after every grow. If I go with these I'm going to get two of them so when I one is dirty the other one is ready to go up while I clean it.
I definitely like these filters so far. I ordered a couple more to have for spares for swapping out. I have used the same 2 for 2 flowering phases now and can't smell a thing through them. And one of them I used on my drying cabinet when I had it packed full of bud and no smell came through, so I am quite happy with them :)

Latest posts

Back