First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we transplanted as much as we could (ran out of space in the tent and not sure what to do). Well, it is clear that we need to get rid of some plants :(

And I will keep you informed on how the filter works when they go into flowering. So far, as much as I can tell, all the plants are females.

Does anyone want any free MJ plants? lol. I can only fit 6 in my grow tent, now :(. But they needed to be transplanted... they were maxed out in those pots.... so many roots it was crazy with no where to go. Now they should shoot up some more and get some more height out of them and then we can go into flowering soon. I figure another 2 solid weeks of veg then flowering time? Any thoughts on this? You can see how big the plants are in the pictures.

DSC00743.JPG

DSC00745.JPG

DSC00746.JPG

Get rid of your plants with the most stretch(space between nodes) I can fit 4 in 3 gallon pots under this light. You want to keep your plants height down with as much internodal spacing (is that the right terminology guys?) as possible.

You might want to LST (Low Stress Train) them by tying them down. If you don't know what that is I'll post a pic on here of my plant tomorrow I LST'd. Having your plants on top of your light may heat up the root ball a little more than you'll want. It will help your plants bush out more and keep height down.

I believe that when it's time to flip to flowering that a plant can get 2 -4 times bigger than it's veg height. This will depend on type (sativa or indica), pheno type, and strain type. I have a feeling that my biggest sativa plant will be a nice yeilder (if everything goes according to plan) since it will undergo another month of veg and it's pretty big now. It will also take a few grows to dial in your settings on your room.

That's what I was thinking... Get rid of the ones that have the most stretch. I also noticed, the other day when the plants fell over because of the heat, that one plant has a really good kink in the main stem and not sure how it is still live? I will probably get rid of that one too and the one that has the nute issue/burning leaves. Some of my plants are super good with nodes that are really close.

And yeah, can you post a pic of LST plants? I don't know what this is, exactly.

LST (low stress training) is any type of training that the plant doesn't have to heal itself from. HST (high stress training) the plant has to heal itself. supercropping, topping, Fim, are all HST techniques. Bending and tieing the branches or whole plant is LST. I would Top all of the plants that have more than 3 leaf nodes as that will cause them to develop double colas. I would say Fim them but you don't have a lot of space and fim causes them to bush out. Fim is great if you have low ceiling heights but plenty of floor space. Here is a LarryOG Kush that I topped then Fimmed then tied the branches with garden wire tie. You can get this stuff in a spool from Lowes garden center or any store that has a decent garden center will probably carry it. It is very useful for all kinds of things. The first pic is the plant before tieing it down but after I Topped it. You can see the double cola. The second pic is after all the training. I did this because I only have the 1 girl and I wanted to get some cuttings before flowering her. She is about 8weeks old :)

LarryOG8-27b.JPG

newgirl9-14.JPG

Sweet! That's pretty cool. I don't think I would have enough space in my tent for this, though...?

Should I top the plant that I want to clone? And should I clone a couple weeks before flowering?

What I'm going to do when I get ready to clone is clone 10-14 days before I flip to flower to give some clones time to root so I know I'll have that plant around still. Clones are said yo be the easiest to root if taken from the lower parts of the plant and the hardest at the top of the plant. I'm guessing if you top the plant and make it more even throughout the plant it would be better (plus you'll get more clones from a topped plant).

A book that you might want to check out (but dont take everything it says to heart I've found some facts disprooved by it here on people's grow journals) is "Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible" By Jorge Cervantes it has alot of good basic information, it is a bit dated but has the basics so I could understand more of what I was talking about on here. I got it at Barnes and Nobel for $30.

Okay. I have been looking around for a book that I could read. Sounds like I found one lol

Got my first 100% confirmed female plant just now! :). I am going to look at the others to see if I can't figure out if they are male or female. Also, my nodes are started to grow irregular... So that is also a sign they are getting ready to go into the flowering stage? I want to veg for at least another 2 weeks.

I take that back. I have, 2, confirmed females. The other plants are not showing their sex yet. I hope within a week I can sex all the plants and get rid of any males.

You can veg as long as you want and yes alternating nodes show a sign of sexual maturity and are ready to flower when you want. If you're thinking bout cloning now is the time I would try it so you got some time for those clones to root before you throw em into flower.

PS when I asked HTG if they would send me one replacement bulb they sent two so I have an extra now, they found a solid customer from now on, and my plants love this light!

Yeah I have two broken lights... they are lose from the socket but still work? I have 3 confirmed females now. I am hoping some more plants will start to show their sex soon because I hope I will have a couple more females out of 10 plants. I would think they would all have shown their sex by now? I mean I think the other ones are males but it's so hard to tell right now. I see the little "ball" things but the females have that and have the hairs but the other ones don't have the hairs? Well... kinda... I don't know... The balls are kinda splitting like the evident females are before the hairs come out. I am not sure? I don't want to throw them out if they are not for sure males but I don't want to keep them and risk them pollinating the females.... ugh lol

as long as you are keeping a close watch on them, you will be able to tell they are males for sure before they drop pollen... so dont fret, and if you aren't sure, just upload a pic and one of the many experienced people on this forum will be happy to help you

sMACk

Thanks sMACK. Once this movie is over I will get some pics up lol... well we have yet to start it haha.

But I must say, the plants are looking SO GOOD! Nodes are less than 2 inches apart now... growing really fast... no signs of deficiencies... the little white hairs (females) are everywhere! Even on the branches lol.... okay rant over haha. Just really happy to see these plants really fill out since we got the lights up.

I can always identify the females but it takes me longer to id the males.
And I always worry I won't catch the males in time but I always do. Guess that is because sMackaddict is right on...

Don't have my laptop charger so can't upload pics righy now :(. What is the best medium to plant clones in?

Latest posts

Back