First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can fit it the 4 bulb model is 2x2 and puts out 20,000 Lumens you could get a 4 bulb and a 2 bulb model (30,000 lumens and set the 2 bulb length wise in there to make it fit in a 3 ft long area) Since your veg area isnt 4ft long.

Kind of like this =| the equal sign represents the 4 bulb and how the bulbs will face and the 2 bulb model is the vertivle line and the orientation of those. Since the 2 bulb is 24in long it will match the width to the 4 bulb and still fit in your tent.

Thats a great idea. It's just that money is starting to be an issue, lol. Do you think 10,000 lumens will be okay for a 6 foot square area? I know it should be around 3,000 lumens per square foot... what do you think? Will I still have a good yield if I just had 10,000 lumens?

I think I am just going to get this one. It will be around 3,300 lumens per square foot. So I am good there.

hxxp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-2-Foot-4-Lamp-PL-55-Tek-Lamp.asp

8-29-2012

image.jpg

the 3,300 L/f2 is just good for vegging you will need to bump it up th 5000 L/f2 for flowering

Yeah just go with the 4lamp one for now till you can save up for another one and remember what Ozzy stated is what you will need for good plants any less, you'll be disappointed but you can always use more light.

With my space I'm going with a 600W hps which is about 90,000Lumens (for flowering space its 2'x5.5') in an air cooled reflector hood so I'll only need 55000 lumens but I'll be getting on average 8363lumens per sq ft. Sunlight reflectors makes these insulator things that go over the hood to keep infared signature and heat in the hood a little better that I'm gonna use too.

You are going to love the T5 for vegging. However, I would encourage you to keep your eyes open for a good deal on a HPS for flowering. Sometimes you can get a killer deal.. I once purchased a 400W MH for $20 and found 2 150W HPS security lights for $2 each that I turned into grow lights for cheap.

I would never be worried about infrared unless I had multiple large HID lights going at once.

Dang that is cheap. Does hps create a lot of heat? And thanks again to all the comments. So much help.

Yeah HPS will creat heat but it's the best thing to use, but this is where you will need your greatest ventillation.

hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/sunlight-yield-master-ii-supreme-ac-reflector-wglass-p-1947.html
That is the reflector hood I'm going to be using.

I would go with an air cooled hood. Make sure you have a centrifugal fan that will allow you to exhaust the cubic foot volume(LxWxH) of your air in 5 minutes or less.

With my setup my exhaust system is going to be a passive intake, and on the exhaust side I'm going Carbon filter>Reflector hood> Ducting> exhaust fan. The air will be sucked through the carbon filter> across the HPS bulb inside the hood> through some ducting>to the fan> and up and out of the attic.

When looking for a good fan make sure it is something bigger than what you need so you can put it on a speed controller and you wont have to run your fan to the max. That will cut down on exhaust noise and lengthen the life of your fan.

For example my flower area is about 92 cubic foot; I'm buying a vortex 6inch 449CFM(Cubic feet per minute) fan and putting it on a speed comtroller and going to run it at maybe just under half power.

Awesome this is great help. I found a 400w HPS bulb, hood/reflector and ballast (the whole nine yards) for $40. I am picking that up tomorrow. So I will be set on that for the flowering. Now just have to wait until the T5 setup comes and I should be good on lights!

Is this second hand or new?

If not brand new- I would grab a new bulb. You can get them cheap and then you know you are getting max lumens when you go to flower. Unless you know how many hours it has been used before you got it.
The other two items will last a long time. Great find.

tastyness said:
Is this second hand or new?

If not brand new- I would grab a new bulb. You can get them cheap and then you know you are getting max lumens when you go to flower. Unless you know how many hours it has been used before you got it.
The other two items will last a long time. Great find.

It is a used unit. I can ask how long the light was ran for but you are right. Getting a new bulb would not be a bad idea. I am saving quite a bit finding this so I am pretty happy with it. :)

What is the difference between a conversion and non-conversion MH or HPS?

I don't know anything about conversion bulbs. I'm sure someone else can help there.

You need to make sure your ballast goes with whatever light you have; that part I do know. There are ballasts that are switchable and then you don't need the pricier conversion lights (I think). I use HPS in all stages except seedlings and baby clones. They live under my fluoro.

Try hxxp://1000bulbs.com - I was amazed and the service was superb.
I found the recommendation on here and it was spot on.

If the ballest is HPS and you want the conversion bulb for it, you will heed the HPS to MH conversion bulb for Vegging

Gotchya, thanks. And yeah I was checking that site out earlier. They have everything on there! I getta see the little kids tomorrow... so excited. I will upload some pics of the progress!

If it's not an air cooled hood just make sure you are prepared for higher heat. Some people will point an oscillating fan right at their bulb from the floor to blow the heat up where the exhaust will take it away.

Make sure you get the bulb for the right ballast whether its digital or magnetic. Tasteyness' link on the bulbs is where I'm getting mine too! Alot of people here use that site.

Thanks for the info.

Quick question here. Look at these pics. What is this from? My gf uploaded them just now since I won't be over there until tomorrow.

image.jpg

image (2).jpg

image (1).jpg

And would this plant be leaning over??

Too much water? Been watering every 2-3 days.

image (3).jpg

image (4).jpg

I would say that's from a hot spot and that you need a osculating fan moving the air around in there.

Latest posts

Back