First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozzydiodude said:
I would say that's from a hot spot and that you need a osculating fan moving the air around in there.

Ok I will tell her to move the osculating fan closer.

Are the plants too close together?

What would cause the leaves to look like that in the other pics? Turning that lighter green color around the outside?

No, they can be touching a little bit if that's the only 3 lights you have. You just need that oscillating fan blowing where all the plants leaves are gently moving like a gentle breeze. If you're using those 1600 lumen 23W CFL bulbs, mine are alot closer to the plants and arent burning mine. I'll take a pic of my little temporary setup. I'm using a cheap single speed $6 fan from walmart to move my air around in a space 2'x2'.

Okay thanks! We are going to get some more fans in a day or so. But yeah that side of the tent had very little to none air movement. So it makes sense that that plant on that side of the tent is doing this.

Okay so my gf put another fan on the plants and she says it is oscillating nicely. Lets hope this get the kids standing back up :).

How do you know when to start flowering?

I promise I won't have as many questions on my next grow -_-

Dont worry about asking questions, Thats what all of us are here for and for us to ask everyone for help when needed :)

You will want to start flowering when you see alternating nodes on the main stem; this is a sign they're sexually mature. This will look like the picture I posted (no clue who to give credit on I pulled it off google).

Then you can sex your plants and see which are males and females from the preflowers and take out the males. For future reference, a good thing about clones are they're already sexually mature and can be put into flower almost immediately (most veg a week or more).

nodes.jpg

NNot a felmale yet your going to be looking for hairs check out my indoor "my first plant (2)" thread it has an example of what youre looking for on a female that's just new growth

I don't have a clue other than necrosis. Do you have a hygrometer to tell you the temp and humidity under your lights? I can't imagine that you're having a heat issue maybe a hot spot somewhere. Someone else that has had more experience with probs before will be able to help better.

Okay gotchya. I will keep an look out for those hairs.

I just hope someone will have some info on way my plants are looking the way they are? Maybe not enough light?

Are you dosing nutes yet in ur plants?

No I'm not giving any nutes to my plants yet until I see something lacking in them. You shouldnt have to feed for 3-4 weeks with FFOF. A lack of lighting wouldn't cause that; a lack of light just causes stretching(more distance between nodes).

Okay thanks. Well I wonder what would cause this? Under watering? Burning from the lights? They have been transplanted on ffof for 13 days now so I should be good there on nutes?

Anyone have any other ideas why my plants r looking like this? Just trying to get as many opinions as I can.

Thanks again silver bullet for all ur help so far!

In the first pic , your leaf is burnt and yellowing all around the edges. That's usually too much ' something ' is'nt it? I had a similar effect when i added too much cal-mag, it toxifies the plant until it either gets used or washed out. Not sure if this helps any.

Sol said:
In the first pic , your leaf is burnt and yellowing all around the edges. That's usually too much ' something ' is'nt it? I had a similar effect when i added too much cal-mag, it toxifies the plant until it either gets used or washed out. Not sure if this helps any.

Those are my thoughts too, since hes growing a different strain than me he could have a plant that doesnt feed as much as mine, a light feeder. He's growing in FFOF so its an organic soil, don't flush it or it will kill the essential microbes in the soil that help feed it.

You're leaf droopage might be from being too close to your oscillating fan and its giving it wind burn (drying the leaf out too much before it can replenish it's water to the leaf) but since we havnt seen a pic of your fan placement in action we can't really tell.

If you have a PH meter water your plants until you get some run-off and then check that PH. I don't think you have a lock out but its always good to check ph if something is going wrong.

That necrosis that is starting looks like either a potassium deficiency that is just beginning or a calcium def starting. When you transplanted them did you add any sweet lime(dolomite lime, garden lime, hydrated lime) to the soil? If not then I would say go get you some and sprinkle a teaspoon full on the top of the soil of each one and then rake it into the soil a bit then water it in the next time you water. Or you can buy a small container of cal/mag solution from the hydro store and add about 5ml to 1 liter of water for the next watering. Then do that about once every 2 weeks or until you transplant again and mix in some lime then.

On sexing the plants; don't let the little sword looking things fool you. I forget what those are called but they don't determine sex. What you are looking for is little roundish to egg-shaped bulbs that will form right in the cusp of the node, just below where the secondary branch is coming out. As the bulb grows it will either spit out 2 white hairs(female), or it will start growing out on a little stem like a lollipop. :)

Thanks for the replies. No I did not add lime. I can get some tomorrow and sprinkle it in like you said.

Thanks guys!

Hey your drooping problem is from a hot spot... I accidentally moved my plant right next to the reflective foan board I have for a temp setup and it caused it to start doing it... idk with your set up how to fix it. I had to shut my lights off for the night so I can raise the lights and fix some stuff in there and I dont want to damage the plants.

Latest posts

Back