First Time Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoldenMcGroin

Reaction score
Ok folks here's something I haven't come up against yet.
Re- Attached pic - 2 week old transplants on left, are yellowing after being moved under direct flouro. Center tub is 6 weeks old & right one is 8.
Neither of them had this problem growing up.
Just wondering so I filled out the questionnaire in hopes of either a solution or a hiccup.

I put them in last monday and just topped off the 33 gal. Res.
Today I flushed & exchanged water 3 times before refilling, adding the Grow nutes (to 600 ppm) and bringing PH into line. Then I flushed them with that for a bit.

I don't want to lose these babies cause it will put a gap in my crop rotation. And one dos NOT want gaps in their Harvests, do they?

1. How tall are your plants now?
Newbies (AK 47 fr seed) 2+ "

2. How far from the lights are the tops of your plants? Is this a constant distance or have you changed it recently?
6" (8 tube t-5 light panel raised for pic)

3. How old are they?
2 weeks

4. What strain are they?
AK-47

5. Did you start them from seed or clone?
seed

6. What type of containers are you using and what size are they in gallons?
15W X 24L X 6D Rubbermaid tubs

WHAT TYPE OF GROW DO YOU HAVE?

7. Dirt?
Nope!
8. What mixture of dirt or type of dirt did you use?

9. Is it a type that has added nutrients like "Miracle Grow"?

10. What mixture of perlite, vermiculite and other additives have you used if any?

11. Hydroponic?
YUP!

WHAT TYPE OF HYDROPONIC SYSTEM DO YOU USE?

12. Ebb and Flow
Yup!
13. NFT

14. Bubbler/Deep Water

WHAT TYPE OF MEDIA DO YOU USE?

15. Gravel

16. Hydroton
Grodan starter cubes then to 3" Grodan cubes set in Hydroton.

17. Rockwool slab

WHAT TYPE OF LIGHTS DO YOU USE?

18. Fluorescent
8 tube 4' t-5 flouros
19. Halide

20. HPS

21. Wattage?

22. Ballast, is it digital or analog?

23. Is it remote or in your grow area?

24. What nutrients are you feeding your plants?

HYDROPONIC FERTS?

25. What brand? What mix? What strength?
GH Fouro Nova Grow & Bloom 500 - 600 ppm

26. How often, and when was the last time?
6 per day.

SOIL FERTS?

27. What brand? What strength? What mix?

28. How often, and when was the last time?

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS OF THE GROW AREA

29. Do you use ventilation for your indoor grow?
When we're home we just keep the door & skylight open and direct a box fan to exhaust the heat

30. If so, what do you use?
See above

31. Do you use a fan?

32. What type of fan and where is it pointed? What speed?
the box fan for ventilation, an 8" fixed (oblique angle to plants) for circulation in the Veging closet and a 16" standing oscillatin fan for the Flowering room.

33. Temperature of the grow area?
Warm. Veg closet is off the Flowering room w 1 600 & 1 400 HPS.

34. Humidity of the grow area?
Unsure not extreme in any direction.

35. Is CO2 being introduced? What method?

36. Do you use Odor Control, (carbon, ionizer, ozone gen)?

37. Do you use LST? HST?

YellowingTransplants4.jpg

I stopped reading when I got to the part where you said that you are giving 2 weeks old plants 500-600 ppms of nutes? Did I read this correctly? And what is your pH?

I MIGHT have dropped them in a tad early. But, I'm thinkin, 2 weeks might have been a lowball age. I go by the roots poking out the bottom.
I keep the ph around 6 and the 500 ppm was the solution I was using for the two tubs on the right. A bit strong. I've sinced flushed them and brought the ppm down a bit and they seem to be recovering.
As for the algae, yeah, I've got that covered mow.
Thanks for the hep & I'll be back!

I think it is too much nutes and a PH that is too low.. Normally I keep the PH at seven for young plants like that, then drop it to 6 after a week of flowering.

HoldenMcGroin said:
I MIGHT have dropped them in a tad early. But, I'm thinkin, 2 weeks might have been a lowball age. I go by the roots poking out the bottom.
I keep the ph around 6 and the 500 ppm was the solution I was using for the two tubs on the right. A bit strong. I've sinced flushed them and brought the ppm down a bit and they seem to be recovering.
As for the algae, yeah, I've got that covered mow.
Thanks for the hep & I'll be back!

Too many nutes for a plant that young--seedlings do not need nutes until they are around 4 weeks old. Also for hydro, you pH is too high. Try to keep it between about 5.5 and 6.0 with 5.8 being a good medium.

I agree on the nutes. Too eager. I'll hang with 'em & see if they keep picking up.
As for the Low / High PH, I use paper towels to germinate and put the sprouts in the Starter cubes flushed with 5.5 water. Keep 'em damp & @ the edge of the light radius till the roots show well & then move them under the lights & watch 'em grow. I've got to have a buffer between seedlings and veggies. Altho like I said I hadn't had this happen before.
FYI: Just started a new batch and will document from Paper Towel to Curing Jar.

Just an update really.
All is well. Flushed 'em a couple of times, lowered the nutes, covered the rockwool & am keepin PH @ 6+- a point or so.
Thanks for the Hep!
Results Attached.

YellowingTransplants6.jpg

YellowingTransplants7.jpg

Latest posts

Back