first time soil help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epccarr

Reaction score
so i have 6 clones i have started an are ready for planting i have hydro my first grow. it is going perfect in flower now i got 6 wite widow clones that are ready for planting but i want to put them in soil but i dont know what kind to use ( first time ) any help or tips would be great.. ( I would do hydro again but i dont have the cash for another setup )

I use Fox Farm Ocean out of the bag and then use it 3 part FF to 1 part perlite. That's what works for me. Others us FF right out of the bag without adding to it. I add the perlite in order to give better drainage and also help cut the cost of the pricey FF.

Fox Farm Ocean Forrest is the way to go.. since your using white widow I would consider mixing in some perlite, or fox farms light warrior. Sometimes FFOF by itself can be too hot for young plants. Goodluck!

Try using white foam plastic coolers - they hold 4.3 gallons - and it's easy to use a hot screwdriver to make holes around the base to make them into hempy buckets.
Put a layer of crumbled-up white poly at the bottom, up to the level of the holes, then coco on top.
This is my next method btw - I have already proven the insulating container, and also the hempy bucket, separately. And coco is a super good medium: trouble free. Almost like hydro.

I use Pro Mix HP straight out of the bag after I break up some of the clumps. Its high porosity so I don't need to add any more perlite to it.

I used to use Sunshine #2 soil and do a 5 to 1 ratio with Fox Farm Perlite.

If you do not live in an area with a grow store check out your local green house for the soils. They may have the FF Ocean as mentioned above, but my experience is most do not. In that case go with the Pro Mix or Sunshine.

Check your local garden store or private nursery, they could have their own mix. Could be a hidden subcool style gem. I found some on a little organic farm 10 minutes from me. He or she will tell you what's in it.

FFOF soil is good as the other have pointed out. I believe that any basic potting soil will work well too. The difference between FFOF and some potting soil, is the FFOF is high in nutrients, especially nitrogen, and other potting soils have nutrients, but just enough to get you started. With a basic potting soil, you have to fertilize sooner, because the nutrients are used up quickly.

As BH4J said, FFOF is hot soil. That means that it is nitrogen rich. Be careful with it and young plants. However, my experience has been that it is sometimes too hot for seedlings, but it seems to be okay for small plants. White Widow might be different, though; it is supposedly nutrient sensitive. All of this is just my opinion, though.

Allaister...I think your oppinion is more fact based than your willing to give credit for! AY is 100% correct in saying that the FFOF is a hot soil, I have had seedlings burn up in it. If your plants are already established like you said they were they should be fine, but with them being WW they may be a little sensitive to the FF, you may try mixing the FFOF 2 parts to 1 part FF Light Warrior. Or like Nouvelle chef said, check your local nursery. I've been using FFOF since I moved indoors, and although I think it's a great soil, I think I can find something comparable locally for alot less money. Come spring I will either be makeing my own soil, or buying some local soil.

Latest posts

Back