Flower Power Box..(phase One - Brainstorm)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

Nug Lover
Reaction score
The idea here is to utilize 360° of direct light. No need for reflection because all the light will ideally be hitting nothing but green, at least in the end of flowering...

I am starting here as a concept, then when the ideas are thrown around a bit, I'll set something up in the DIY section...

Questions - Comments - Suggestions Please

I think this setup can be modified for dirt, hydro, dwc, aero or Fog-o.

I recall hearing somewhere that LEO(Fed not state) only cares if there's 25 or more plants, so my original thinking was to have a circle of 8 plants inside and 16 plants outside to total 24. but i think it feasable to have up to 32 in a box such as this if one were inclined... or even a scaled up version can be made..

Note: I've seen similar setups in hightimes and whatnot but I'd like to start from scratch and let this become a child of MP...

EDIT: a buddy of mine just suggested the intakes be at 40-45% to insure negative pressure and to use 4 600w lights instead of one...

View attachment TS-Box-Layout2.pdf

TS-Box-jpg.JPG

I'm trying to think of a way to allow the cylinder with the plants to rotate so checking individual plants would be a lot easier... :confused2:

first thought was something like a lazy susan ie center pole. the pole with 4 bar supports ,instead of the shelves. I think i understood the plans.

Lazy Susan... Brilliant!!!
thanks todoobie!!!

same basic concept here, just using 5 gallon buckets...
12 columns, each having 3 buckets making for 36 total plants..

TS-Box-jpg-5gal-1.JPG

hmmm... could maybe even use some of them topsy turvy upside down plant hangers to make use of any open ceiling space...

Nice idea. Will each set of plants rotate? Or will they just circulate around the lights?

growman05 said:
Nice idea. Will each set of plants rotate? Or will they just circulate around the lights?

So far it's mostly a concept.. anybody is welcome to take the idea and put it together their own way. i'm having trouble deciding how to go about it myself.
I'm thinking the first prototype will be scaled down to use a single 200-400 watt HPS.
one thing I want to do is have a setup like this and a setup that's flat & standard next to each other so i can really see the difference in yield.
both will be same size space, same watts, same in/out air CFMs, clones of the same plant, same nutes, same number of plants....

okay like the thinking..my thoughts if you dont mind. first design the smaler scale useing the Lazy suzie. I like the idea of plants rotateing. what if you modified a micro wave bottom that has the plate that turns, just gut it. hmmm. now you got me thinking.

good day

oh i'd take out the magnetron . . and gut most of it, but it's be a cool micro grow box to use if you have an old microwave laying around that's ready for the trash..

couple ideas for a smaller version...
one using 8 plants and the other 4 plants with LST and possibly a cylindrical scrog.
was thinking of going with a 400w on this one but a 250 may work as well...

FPB-mini-1.JPG

FPB-mini-2.JPG

vertical grow, the concept is out there i seen some crazy stuff using vertical lights like pvc pipes all around walls with a light hangin in the middle, however i never saw one that rotates, i dont see the point of the whole thing rotating. to make a single pot easy to rotate you would need a special screw and a board to screw it down as a base for the pot, may cause many complications, i would just put round pots theyr easy enough to rotate by hand without any base. i think that a vertical grow can increase yield if done right, it does make sense since we lose light with reflectors, however your friend is suggesting you use 4 600w this would depend on how big a grow you want, it could be overkill and venting would be hard, and makin the passive intake 45% of the exhaust would diminish the venting, you need passive intake bigger than exaust. hope this helps

hmm.. passive intake would probably be the route to go... plus cut costs down a bit..
the idea of having rotation was mainly for the first concept of having two or three rings of plants going around the light(s) so you could open a door on one side and still check all the plants close up.
but your right that it may very well be more hassle than its worth.

i was thinking that a track on the ceiling might work with some sturdy chains or rope..

It looks like an ideal setup for vertical lighting :hubba:

I think the rotation will be very helpful for watering unless you plan access from the top.

rotating base also makes it easy to rotate individual pots when they lean at the light source. cool i deer

BigO said:
how are you going to get the plants in and out

Although the drawings don't show it, there will be an access door.

and the whole thing will likely be built in sections so it can fit through a door or into a car/truck/van for transpo.

Reactions: zem

Latest posts

Back