Flowering with MH+HPS or just HPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer

Reaction score
Currently running two 600 watt HPS cool tubes in my flowering room. I have an extra 400 watt light with a HPS/MH conversion ballast. Would there be a benefit to adding this light in my flowering room with a MH bulb to add more variation to the light spectrum? Or would just adding another HPS bulb give me better results? Just curious.....

Gracias,
NYC

dont know if same applies for hps/mh vs CFL but i was told that its pretty much pointless to have 6500k cfls in flower wit 2700k's
so not 100% sure. but i'd like to know too if it'd be of any benefit as i could then add like a good extra 10-12 6500k's to my 16- 2700k's for flower this time.
but i thin its somethin to do wit wat a plant uses for spectrum in its stages of growth. but i also read a place or two an was told by someone also that some use more MH for growin sativa's the way they were meant to be grown. somethin wit mimicing the climate mainly the southern/equatorial regions of their parents the seeds came from as does most ya outdoor sativa (grows more south towards equator..

a current member from here was who turned me on to that info in a PM was all. sorry no links. i havent really researched into this really just yet but it is in my list of things to do for sure cuz i too favor sativa high for sure. but if ya think bout it. the sun i mean. and where are most sativas grown at outdoors to their fullest potential. and look at the sun there in that region. it all seems like it'd make sense to go more MH for sativas but in wat regimen i wouldnt know. meanin do ya run mh all the way from seed to finish of switch around or wat.....?
but either way the sun from wat i understand comes to earth in almost a more the 6500k veg type spectrum almost year round down towards the equator the closer ya get. but dont quote me on it yet.. lol
this strictly from wat i understand anyways.

Whats the temp NYCD? Id go with the one supplying more red.
If they are the same. Then the hps.
Then the final week. Use the one supplying more blue. Which I would guess is the mh.

Sativas have thinner leaves because of being so equator surrounding and mountainous bound.
If they really enjoyed all that heavy direct light. They would have wider leaves like the indica to absorb it all the same way.
Even northern base sativas, (like ones found in Alaska and Canada) are found to have thinner blades. Due to the long light hours of the day.
Maybe its so they dont spend all that time absorbing harmful light like UV.
But they are thin for a reason.
Why I would just worry about focusing on the direct feeding colors instead of anymore of the full spectrum.

the 600HPS bulbs I use.

bulbs 001.jpg

bulbs 002.jpg

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
Currently running two 600 watt HPS cool tubes in my flowering room. I have an extra 400 watt light with a HPS/MH conversion ballast. Would there be a benefit to adding this light in my flowering room with a MH bulb to add more variation to the light spectrum? Or would just adding another HPS bulb give me better results? Just curious.....

Gracias,
NYC
Doc, in June '09 High Times issue they have an article on this topic. "There were eight separate tracks of light movers in four rows that swung a total of eight 1000 watt lamps over the gardern canopy. Four of the lamps were MH and four were HPS giving the plants a fuller spectrum. The room yields 15 pounds of glorious WW per cycle>"

Hey NYC-
I've read a few things about this and was curious myself.

Firstly, you don't say how big your grow space is, but 2- 600w HPS bulbs delivering 95k initial lumens each covers a pretty big area. Is there a point where lumens start diminishing in effectiveness when you reach a certain level of lumens/sq ft.?

I've read (no personal experience yet) that using a MH during initial flowering helps reduce stretch. I've also read that adding MH at the last 2 weeks increases trich production.

So I guess the question becomes, will adding another HPS have a diminishing return (based on power consumption and heat generation effects) for your flower room versus adding the increased spectrum of the MH? My vote would be for the MH.

My next grow I will be doing a Blueberry grow (2 or 3 plants in a 2' x 4' area) under 2- 400w lights. My current plan is to veg with MH, initial 2 weeks flower MH, HPS for 6 weeks, MH/HPS mix for final 2 weeks.

I'll be interested in seeing your results.

Latest posts

Back